Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Wheel..." or no "Wheel..."?  (Read 2378 times)

HYHYBT

"Wheel..." or no "Wheel..."?
« on: September 23, 2007, 03:19:20 AM »
Halfhearted apologies for the subject line, but I just noticed they've dropped the word "wheel" from the opening chant; now they just say "of fortune", which doesn't make sense by itself. Just seems odd.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

rugrats1

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 04:23:37 PM »
Maybe it's the TV station cutting out the "Wheel"? I wouldn't think the producers would only cut out part of the chant -- either all or none. (And knowing the show, they would just leave it there -- in full.)

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 10:25:42 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'164611\' date=\'Sep 23 2007, 03:23 PM\']
Maybe it's the TV station cutting out the "Wheel"? I wouldn't think the producers would only cut out part of the chant -- either all or none. (And knowing the show, they would just leave it there -- in full.)
[/quote]
Happens all the time...whoever is in charge at the control board hits the button a second too late, or something like that.  Me, I wish they'd get their act together during Leno/Letterman/Conan and put on their local spots ON TIME during the commercial breaks instead of waiting anywhere from 25 seconds to nearly the entire two minutes alloted so I end up seeing most of the CBS network PSAs or a half-minute of that tiny NBC peacock sliding in and out of a black background, then by the time they finally get back to the show, I've missed out on some dialogue or a gag of some kind, and end up wondering why the audience is laughing at the point where the station (not the network) joins it again.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

HYHYBT

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 12:42:10 AM »
So this isn't happening elsewhere? It doesn't come immediately after a break or anything; there's a screenfull of clips, and the logo comes up, all with normal sound, and then the words "of Fortune". It's been exactly the same for at least the last four days of this past week.

(here I went and saved a short clip as a Quicktime file and uploaded it, then remembered posting a link may be a violation of the Eligibility Requirements and I don't even know if the file would play right on anyone else's computer anyway... but surely, SURELY this can't be happening here alone!)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 12:46:05 AM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:07:23 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'164641\' date=\'Sep 23 2007, 11:42 PM\']
(here I went and saved a short clip as a Quicktime file and uploaded it, then remembered posting a link may be a violation of the Eligibility Requirements
[/quote]
How would it violate the E.Rs?  If you pasted a link on a page, and then posted the link here, I really don't see what the issue would be.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 01:59:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'164642\' date=\'Sep 23 2007, 10:07 PM\']
How would it violate the E.Rs?  If you pasted a link on a page, and then posted the link here, I really don't see what the issue would be.
[/quote]
Provided that he linked to the page and not the file directly, yes.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HYHYBT

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 01:17:30 AM »
Exactly: there *is* no page. I've never learned how to make one, but if today's (now yesterday's) show turns out to be the same way I will.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 02:27:12 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'164726\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 10:17 PM\']
Exactly: there *is* no page. I've never learned how to make one, but if today's (now yesterday's) show turns out to be the same way I will.
[/quote]
Your other option would be to stick it on YouTube. You have the Quicktime. YouTube has to take QuickTime.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HYHYBT

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 03:18:14 PM »
That's an idea... this is yesterday's, since the copy I did from last week's episode wasn't suitable. It looks now like there may be a hiccup in the video too, but since it's in the exact same place every day I can't tell for sure.

I *have* figured out that whatever it is, it's not the show or the station but seems to be within either the EyeTV software or my computer: in exporting the clip with different settings, one copy came out with the word "wheel" in place and "of" missing instead. It's just strange that it always happens at that exact point in this show, and never anywhere else, during this show or any other.

Sorry for thinking this was a more general problem...

Edit: Here are two other examples. Turns out the HTML option under "Save As..." is useful after all :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:15:30 PM by HYHYBT »

LA the DJ

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 06:12:15 PM »
It could just be something in the stereo settings somewhere. I'm not sure if WoF stereo-mixes that particular piece (though probable, since most HD shows are also in 5.1 Surround, and that's the kind of thing I see the current producers of the show doing). Your software is probably missing one or more audio channels.
The second video gives me this impression since the audio miss appears to come a second or two before where the "Wheel" should be, but it could just be the video hiccup.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:32:25 PM by nWo_Whammy »
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 06:14:52 PM »
Watching your video, I can definitely tell that's a video hiccup.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

NickS

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 06:30:55 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'164795\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 05:14 PM\']
Watching your video, I can definitely tell that's a video hiccup.
[/quote]

Watching last night's cold open to the show, I heard "Wheel... of Fortune!" just fine.