Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whazzup on TPIR?  (Read 11241 times)

Unrealtor

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 09:26:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'161537\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 07:57 PM\']
What's the difference between the Wick and Encyclopedia Brittanica?

One of them has factual errors, the other one does not.
[/quote]

Wikipedia seems to think that EB's the one with errors.

Actually, I've read an article that claims that, at least in the sciences and math, the more you know about a field, the more accurate you tended to find entries in that field. I suspect those areas have a much lower fanb0i quotient editing things because they "know" it to be right.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

DrBear

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 09:40:51 PM »
Well, it's likely that TPIR has more fanb0is than, say, molecular biology. (OMG that is SO parthenogenesis!)

Then again, somebody has been putting a heart symbol next to Edward R. Murrow's name. I mean, I respect the guy, but...

Seriously, Wikipedia can be useful for learning what all these odd internet terms mean. Such as fanb0i. But - and this comes from someone who has contributed to a batch of articles - it's as reliable a source as Jon Lovitz.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

The Pyramids

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 09:44:06 PM »
Steve Beverly is reporting that 'Power of 10' will air Sunday the 23rd on what he calls 'the eve of Drews scheduled debut on 'TPIR.'

If so this is the first I've heard of premier date for the season.

BrandonFG

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 09:45:04 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'161543\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 09:40 PM\']
t's as reliable a source as Jon Lovitz.
[/quote]
Yes, but can Wikipedia kick Andy Dick's ass?

/save the jokes
//about Andy Dick, and the semi-obvious joke there
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 09:58:09 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'161537\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 08:57 PM\']But that begs the question for the teachers in the audience...is the Wik allowed in any way shape or form?[/quote]
There is no rule in place at my school about Wikipedia not being a legitimate source of info.  In my class, the answer is a huge "no", plus I tell students who want to research on computers in my room not to use Wiki for any other classes.

Steve Gavazzi

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'161544\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 09:44 PM\']
Steve Beverly is reporting that 'Power of 10' will air Sunday the 23rd on what he calls 'the eve of Drews scheduled debut on 'TPIR.'

If so this is the first I've heard of premier date for the season.
[/quote]

I'll tell you exactly why he says that:  The current rerun schedule on CBS.com only goes through September 21.  He has no idea what he's talking about.

Based on the way episodes are being taped right now, it is not possible for the season to start any earlier than October 1 -- and that's only if they tape one of the shows for the first week during that week, which, while doable, seems pretty unlikely.

(Dates changed slightly to reflect an update on CBS.com's schedule.  The point that Beverly's talking out of his ass still stands.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:44:53 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'161546\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 09:58 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'161537\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 08:57 PM\']But that begs the question for the teachers in the audience...is the Wik allowed in any way shape or form?[/quote]
There is no rule in place at my school about Wikipedia not being a legitimate source of info.  In my class, the answer is a huge "no", plus I tell students who want to research on computers in my room not to use Wiki for any other classes.
[/quote]
I think the general opinion in my classes is that you can't live on Wikipedia alone.  Completely off-topic, but I once cited Wikipedia to disagree with what it suggested and it seemed to fly over okay.

What do you teach, Mike?  If you said earlier, I have forgotten.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:47:44 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

vtown7

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 12:34:31 AM »
I agree with others - wiki is great as a sounding board, but not as a first source.

Ryan.

/and thank you to everyone for reminding me that the "no wiki" rule needs to go on my course syllabi
//I teach french, drama and accounting, if we're keeping score
///qu'est-ce que c'est le juste prix?

MikeK

• Martha!
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 01:28:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'161557\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 10:46 PM\']What do you teach, Mike?  If you said earlier, I have forgotten.[/quote]
Math, grades 7-12.  My students don't care for it but I do give my students papers, reports, and assignments which involve research with the internet.

/Adding "no Wiki ever" line to my syllabus now as well

Joe Mello

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 01:43:25 AM »
Okay.  I find it somewhat odd that a math class would require research projects, but I've had to do projects for math before, so maybe it's not that odd.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 03:25:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'161553\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 07:28 PM\']
I'll tell you exactly why he says that:  The current rerun schedule on CBS.com only goes through September 21.  He has no idea what he's talking about.
[/quote]
But it's SCHEDULED, man!

NEVER QUESTION THE PERFESSER!

/what a complete jackoff.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

urbanpreppie05

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 07:51:16 AM »
Okay. I find it somewhat odd that a math class would require research projects, but I've had to do projects for math before, so maybe it's not that odd.

I took a class in college called "Math for Liberal Arts" and had to write a 15-page paper on why pyramid schemes were mathematically impossible.

The class is no longer offered.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 03:15:16 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

dzinkin

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2007, 08:24:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'161541\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 09:26 PM\']
I suspect those areas have a much lower fanb0i quotient editing things because they "know" it to be right.
[/quote]
Interesting (albeit coincidental, I know) choice of words given what I recently saw on one of the talk pages: a discussion on the proper use of "fanboy" vs. "fanboi."  No, I am not kidding.

I was tempted to add my learned insight on our officially sanctioned "fanb0i" spelling but given who was involved in the discussion and the tone it had taken as a result, I refrained.

Matt Ottinger

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'161587\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 07:51 AM\']
I took a class in college called "Math for Liberal Arts" and had to write a 15-page paper on why pyramid schemes were mathmatically impossible.

The class is no longer offered.[/quote]
Meaning your paper must have been really, realy good.

/or really, really bad...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2007, 12:50:18 PM »
Or maybe someone figured out that the class was a part of its own pyramid scheme, thus driving the class into nonexistance.

/Silly liberal arts majors
//No, I don't want fries with that