Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Ralph Andrews library  (Read 9944 times)

clanky06

The Ralph Andrews library
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 05:24:41 PM »
You're right, it was Scrabble. NBC conned Reg Grundy Productions to produce two game shows for the price of one to hold a "spot" until what they really cared about was ready (the other show was Scattergories, hosted by Dick Clark.) It truly was a game show from hades—there were constant equipment breakdowns, and the contestant pool cooled their heels for a whole day, only to be told to come back tomorrow. When I finally got on Chuck said at one point, "I don't feel right calling a grown man 'Clanky'."

Can anyone guess game show #2? One question I had was "It's Flanagan Goose Time."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 11:00:50 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'159582\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 01:09 PM\']
I vaguely remember a Clanky on Scrabble... was that you?
[/quote]
You've got him confused with the other Clanky who appeared on Scrabble :-P

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 04:12:34 PM »
To return to the top topic:

The Ralph Andrews show formats are owned by a guy named Mark Phillips, who has done with them the following:  A short-lived revival of "It Takes Two" for the Family Channel in the last days of Pat Robertson's ownership, when Tony Thomopoulos was programming an original game show block in the afternoon, and a revival of the non-game show "Lie Detector" a few years ago for Ion when it was still Pax.

The Andrews formats Phillips doesn't own are "Lingo," owned by the Dutch company that created it, "Liars Club," which he sold off to Gene Autry's Golden West during the Bill Armstrong/Allen Ludden run of the show and has bounced to other companies, and perhaps "Celebrity Sweepstakes," because of that format's part-ownership.

Desliu's descendants only own what exists of the 60s run of "YDS!" and perhaps the late 70s syndicated run that Viacom handled--Andrews owned the format himself and Phillips is probably sitting on it.

clanky06

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 07:59:10 PM »
Incidentally, speaking of Ralph Andrews, what ever became of the "age discrimination" lawsuit he filed against Dick Clark?

sshuffield70

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 09:34:05 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'159688\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 04:12 PM\']
To return to the top topic:

The Ralph Andrews show formats are owned by a guy named Mark Phillips, who has done with them the following:  A short-lived revival of "It Takes Two" for the Family Channel in the last days of Pat Robertson's ownership, when Tony Thomopoulos was programming an original game show block in the afternoon, and a revival of the non-game show "Lie Detector" a few years ago for Ion when it was still Pax.

The Andrews formats Phillips doesn't own are "Lingo," owned by the Dutch company that created it, "Liars Club," which he sold off to Gene Autry's Golden West during the Bill Armstrong/Allen Ludden run of the show and has bounced to other companies, and perhaps "Celebrity Sweepstakes," because of that format's part-ownership.

Desliu's descendants only own what exists of the 60s run of "YDS!" and perhaps the late 70s syndicated run that Viacom handled--Andrews owned the format himself and Phillips is probably sitting on it.
[/quote]

Let's be clear on something, Mark, mainly for the younger folks who have no clue....

Andrews created "Lingo" in 1987, but not the Dutch format being used by Gurin.  The question becomes who owns the original episodes.  Is it Phillips, Andrews, the Dutch company or another one we haven't heard yet?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 10:00:17 PM »
I wonder if Burt Rosen still has a stake in the shows.  He syndicated the original Lingo, Yahtzee and the first prime access version of Celeb. Sweeps in 74-75 (20thCent-Fox handled the 76-77 version).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 10:01:15 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 10:46:30 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'159625\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 11:00 PM\']
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'159582\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 01:09 PM\']
I vaguely remember a Clanky on Scrabble... was that you?
[/quote]
You've got him confused with the other Clanky who appeared on Scrabble :-P
[/quote]
Be careful, Chris. Someone might believe you.

snowpeck

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 09:25:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'159594\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 05:24 PM\']
You're right, it was Scrabble. NBC conned Reg Grundy Productions to produce two game shows for the price of one to hold a "spot" until what they really cared about was ready (the other show was Scattergories, hosted by Dick Clark.) It truly was a game show from hades—there were constant equipment breakdowns, and the contestant pool cooled their heels for a whole day, only to be told to come back tomorrow. When I finally got on Chuck said at one point, "I don't feel right calling a grown man 'Clanky'."

Can anyone guess game show #2? One question I had was "It's Flanagan Goose Time."
[/quote]

Knockout possibly?  Didn't they have a round where you had to figure out what three words had in common (obviously Father here)?

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 09:55:52 PM »
It's Flanagan Goose Time...the only thing I can think of is "Shoot For the Stars" or "Double Talk", which were more or less the same game, in terms of format.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 09:56:14 PM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'159819\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 09:25 PM\']
Knockout possibly?  Didn't they have a round where you had to figure out what three words had in common (obviously Father here)
[/quote]
I dunno if you're right or not, but what a great guess!

I miss "Knockout". Seriously. Underrated, underappreciated show IMHO.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clanky06

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 11:05:04 PM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'159819\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 06:25 PM\']

[/quote]

Knockout possibly?  Didn't they have a round where you had to figure out what three words had in common (obviously Father here)?

Greg
[/quote]

You got it—it was Knockout, based on the "IQ Test" question "Which of these four things doesn't belong and why?" Bruce Belland was producer, and he was a member of the Four Preps, famous for the song "23 Miles," about Catalina Island. Another of the group was Glen A. Larson, who produced a bunch of TV shows in the 70's. I asked Bruce, "What happened to the 'J'?" and he said, "How did you know that?" Bjelland is the original Norwegian name. I was trying to remember the contestant coordinator's name, Roberta something I thought, but Gary Edwards immediately came up with "Roberta Simons" at last year's GSC. Mark Maxwell-Smith was the creator-producer-writer for the show and it was great to see him again at this year's GSC. When I told him I had been a contestant on Knockout his eyes lit up and he gave me a big hug!

Roberta believed in "networking," and through me my sister Karen, brother-in-law Terry Kathan, and Hughes Aircraft Co. co-worker Dave Shingledecker were all later contestants. Near the end of the run, they made a pilot of a possible celebrity-partner version, and Terry and I played the contestants and Geoff Edwards and Jo Anne Worley were the celebrities. I saw Geoff at this year's GSC and he remembered the pilot—some 30 years ago!

One more Knockout anecdote. After I had won $25,000 on Celebrity Sweepstakes and $10,000 on Knockout, the company newspaper, the HughesNews, did a feature article on me. The paper came out before the episode aired, and when it did, I got a company phone call from Paula Witt, who had been on the show with me. How about that—small world! It turned out we knew a lot of the same people, although we hadn't met before.

Please forgive me for wandering off-topic, but this illustrates what it's like being a contestant and spending a lot of time talking to other contestants, contestant coordinators, and network S&P people! Our conversations wander all over the place, but usually about game shows.

Paula and I became game show buddies. Once I tried out for Whew! with the procedings conducted by Jay Wolpert. Now Mark Maxwell-Smith was a Type-A bundle-of-energy kind of guy, but Jay had him beat by a mile with his off-the-wall out-of-control antics! I didn't make it as a contestant, but later I thought about what they were looking for, and told all this to Paula. The upshot was that Paula won $25,000!

OK, one more thing and I'm through—for now. At the supper table with my wife and kids, someone would say "Give us a 'Knockout,' Daddy." And I would pose something like "Plate, Towel, Phone and Boy." Ah, such good game show memories!

tvwxman

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 08:31:15 AM »
Nice story. Do you have your episode on tape? There's only one episode out there in tradingland..... I'm wondering if Clanky can double that.

/I like this guy.
//I'd rather have one good post from him than 10 from so many others.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clanky06

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'159841\' date=\'Aug 7 2007, 05:31 AM\']
Nice story. Do you have your episode on tape? There's only one episode out there in tradingland..... I'm wondering if Clanky can double that.

/I like this guy.
//I'd rather have one good post from him than 10 from so many others.
[/quote]

No, unfortunately, I don't have a tape of my appearance. 1977 was before VHS and Betamax home recorders. Besides the big network Ampex 1" tape machines (or 2"?) there were Sony U-Matic ¾" industrial recorders, and it would really be a fluke if any more Knockout episodes were recorded. I should have asked Gary Edwards at GSC if the production company had any tapes, but I doubt that they did.

Thanks for your kind words. I am very fortunate to have experienced the game show situations that I did. I am happy to share them with fellow enthusiasts—maybe so that some can vicariously relive them with me. I'll most likely separate them into several threads so this one doesn't get too far out of control!

mbclev

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 02:16:52 AM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'159826\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 11:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'159819\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 06:25 PM\']

[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]

You got it—it was Knockout, based on the "IQ Test" question "Which of these four things doesn't belong and why?" Bruce Belland was producer, and he was a member of the Four Preps, famous for the song "23 Miles," about Catalina Island. Another of the group was Glen A. Larson, who produced a bunch of TV shows in the 70's. I asked Bruce, "What happened to the 'J'?" and he said, "How did you know that?" Bjelland is the original Norwegian name. I was trying to remember the contestant coordinator's name, Roberta something I thought, but Gary Edwards immediately came up with "Roberta Simons" at last year's GSC. Mark Maxwell-Smith was the creator-producer-writer for the show and it was great to see him again at this year's GSC. When I told him I had been a contestant on Knockout his eyes lit up and he gave me a big hug!

Roberta believed in "networking," and through me my sister Karen, brother-in-law Terry Kathan, and Hughes Aircraft Co. co-worker Dave Shingledecker were all later contestants. Near the end of the run, they made a pilot of a possible celebrity-partner version, and Terry and I played the contestants and Geoff Edwards and Jo Anne Worley were the celebrities. I saw Geoff at this year's GSC and he remembered the pilot—some 30 years ago!

One more Knockout anecdote. After I had won $25,000 on Celebrity Sweepstakes and $10,000 on Knockout, the company newspaper, the HughesNews, did a feature article on me. The paper came out before the episode aired, and when it did, I got a company phone call from Paula Witt, who had been on the show with me. How about that—small world! It turned out we knew a lot of the same people, although we hadn't met before.

Please forgive me for wandering off-topic, but this illustrates what it's like being a contestant and spending a lot of time talking to other contestants, contestant coordinators, and network S&P people! Our conversations wander all over the place, but usually about game shows.

Paula and I became game show buddies. Once I tried out for Whew! with the procedings conducted by Jay Wolpert. Now Mark Maxwell-Smith was a Type-A bundle-of-energy kind of guy, but Jay had him beat by a mile with his off-the-wall out-of-control antics! I didn't make it as a contestant, but later I thought about what they were looking for, and told all this to Paula. The upshot was that Paula won $25,000!

OK, one more thing and I'm through—for now. At the supper table with my wife and kids, someone would say "Give us a 'Knockout,' Daddy." And I would pose something like "Plate, Towel, Phone and Boy." Ah, such good game show memories!
[/quote]

The song you mentioned is actually called "26 Miles".

clanky06

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 11:34:31 AM »
No wonder I was confused the last time I swam out to it!