Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture  (Read 3384 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'158259\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 09:19 AM\']
Don't make it year-round, because part of the appeal is that it's a short run and a championship
[/quote]
Why is that appealing in the least? It's a genuinely good game show, and we don't have a whole lot of those on TV these days.

I'm not saying to make it a five-a-week strip, but it sure as hell would be a Tivo Season Pass if they made it a weekly show.
Meanwhile, Twisted Misters, meet Ken Jennings.  They'll never want to run into Mormons again.  :)
Too easy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 01:25:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'158181\' date=\'Jul 21 2007, 11:16 PM\']As for your counter to my idea, I like the ties and all, but if this is going to turn in 100K Pyramid where nearly everyone ties 3-3, there should be a change.[/quote] Really? I think that the choice of having six-question categories was a deliberate one, because someone timed the matches, and it was decided that the most likely way to bundle two matches per episode is to have three-a-side, along with tie-breaks.

The move to 8 at least allows more variation in scoring, which should in theory create less ties.  There's also something to be said for making longer tiebreaks, but that's only part of the problem.  (I know I'm probably dramatizing about 100K Pyramid, but the WSoPC learning curve is progressing similarly)
Except I don't think it does, too much. Sure, you'll have some 5-3 and 4-3 wins, but people are going to know their stuff or not know it, no matter how many questions you ask them.

Here's the other point to be made: it is entertaining to watch adept people playing the game. It was true in the days of $100,000 Pyramid, and it remains true today. Watching people go 18 names deep in a tiebreaker is fun to watch. Then watching as the next in line digs through all of the stuff they know, and finally coming up with a nineteenth name? It is as exciting as game shows have been in recent memory.

Do you really want to turn that into "For the category, I'm looking for the name of an actor..."?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:25:29 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle