Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grand Slam  (Read 10477 times)

weaklink75

Grand Slam
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 10:35:48 PM »
also, if it were only one person from the team, it would fit the dollar amount seed (a third of the World Series prize- $83,333- would be ranked 15th)....Maybe it's the person from the winning team who got the most questions correct in the tournament or something like that..

chad1m

Grand Slam
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 11:22:17 PM »
And it turns out to be Victor Lee, from WSOPC's winning team Twisted Misters.

I will be ever gleeful when Ken Jennings takes him out.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Grand Slam
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 11:28:18 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'158654\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 08:22 PM\']And it turns out to be Victor Lee, from WSOPC's winning team Twisted Misters.

I will be ever gleeful when Ken Jennings takes him out.[/quote]I'll grant that the 1/16 and 2/15 rounds almost amount to a bye for Kenzilla and the Rutterminator, but why the hate for Victor? What'd he ever do to you? Throw your newspaper in a puddle? Kick your dog?

It seems strange to say what you did, even if you had a reason.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

Grand Slam
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 11:37:29 PM »
Because while he did obviously have the knowledge to back it up, he came off as very cocky and conceited during WSOPC. I just don't like to see that on my game shows, so I was avidly rooting against him and his comrades.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Grand Slam
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 11:39:25 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'158658\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 08:37 PM\']
Because while he did obviously have the knowledge to back it up, he came off as very cocky and conceited during WSOPC.
[/quote]
In a competition where the teams were expected to act cocky and conceited. Gawd forbid.

I'm thrilled the Misters won and I hope Victor gives Ken a good match.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

Grand Slam
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 01:09:13 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158659\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 11:39 PM\']
In a competition where the teams were expected to act cocky and conceited.
[/quote]

Off the top of my head, I can't recall any other team this season that was as outright with their assurance of victory. Most of the other teams seemed like regular, down-to-earth people pleased to have made it as far as they did. Misters acted like they had it in the bag from their first interview. While they did prove that they were the winners and had the necessary knowledge, a bit of modesty is just generally appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 01:10:48 AM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Grand Slam
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 01:46:40 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'158672\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 10:09 PM\']
While they did prove that they were the winners and had the necessary knowledge, a bit of modesty is just generally appreciated.
[/quote]
Well, your opinion. I have no problem with someone who says they're gonna win and then DOES IT. Because they are raising their own stakes with their bravado...if they lose, they lose the prize AND they look like idiots on TV.

Quoting the great philosopher Robert Ritchie: "It ain't bragging, motherf***er, if you back it up."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

Grand Slam
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 01:52:21 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158673\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 01:46 AM\']
Quoting the great philosopher Robert Ritchie: "It ain't bragging, motherf***er, if you back it up."
[/quote]

And I totally understand that, which is why my argument probably comes off as flawed. But, it's just my opinion. ::shrugs::

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Grand Slam
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 09:51:19 PM »
I think Victor's little schpiel at the start of the finals pretty much sealed it for me that he would be the TM representative for Grand Slam.  Of the three, he seemed the most into the competitive aspect.  If he wants to be that hardcore about being a trivia contestant, then good for him, and I hope he doesn't lay too much an egg.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Grand Slam
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 10:24:21 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'158674\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 10:52 PM\']And I totally understand that, which is why my argument probably comes off as flawed. But, it's just my opinion. ::shrugs::[/quote]Two things:

1) Since you've been in the fray, how would you like to find out that you had people rooting for you to do poorly, for no other reason than you give them a bad feeling? I don't think your argument is flawed, so much as it is strange. But like you said, your dime.

2) Personally, I don't root against particular contestants unless they're over-the-top obnoxious, so generally I hope for good competition. But the fact that one team got a reaction out of you is a plus point for the contestant coordinators.
Travis L. Eberle

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Grand Slam
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 07:00:54 PM »
Travis, I believe you just said it was strange for someone to root against a contestant, then admitted you do the same.

Am I correct?
@lambertman

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Grand Slam
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 07:15:52 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'158947\' date=\'Jul 28 2007, 04:00 PM\']
Travis, I believe you just said it was strange for someone to root against a contestant, then admitted you do the same.

Am I correct?
[/quote]You are incorrect. I said his argument was strange, given that he'd been in televised competitions before.

I have no problem with people rooting against contestants; it's a free country and all. But to say "I'm going to root against you because you're cocky and conceited" when that's exactly the vibe that the producers are going for? Yeah, I find that a bit bizarre.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:19:39 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

Grand Slam
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 10:13:56 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'158948\' date=\'Jul 28 2007, 07:15 PM\']I have no problem with people rooting against contestants; it's a free country and all. But to say "I'm going to root against you because you're cocky and conceited" when that's exactly the vibe that the producers are going for? Yeah, I find that a bit bizarre.
[/quote]
Seems perfectly ordinary to me.  Producers pick contestant that register with us one way or the other, and they aren't picking the "cocky and conceited" ones for us to love.  I don't think anybody's hoping these people get hit by lightning or have their cars repossessed, but rooting against people who come across as unlikable on a game show doesn't strike me as bizarre behavior and is, I believe, part of the very "vibe that the producers are going for".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

vtown7

Grand Slam
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 10:48:01 PM »
Just want to make sure my eyes aren't playing tricks on me... air times are at 7 and 10 pm Eastern tomorrow (Saturday)?

Thanks

Ryan :)

goongas

Grand Slam
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 11:45:02 PM »
Saturdays and Sundays at 7 are the new episode airings, I think.