Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: She's Ba-ack!  (Read 8805 times)

BrandonFG

She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 06:46:13 PM »
I think if she could keep off the soapbox, she would be a competent host. She was decent for the half-round of Squares, but still a little overbearing.

She also got on my damn nerves by bluffing, then shaking her head to make sure the contestant disagreed. You win some, you lose some, but with her, she always wants to give away, even if the contestant lost. Sure a new car would be nice, but you can't reward losing.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 06:57:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'152726\' date=\'May 18 2007, 03:46 PM\']
She also got on my damn nerves by bluffing, then shaking her head to make sure the contestant disagreed. You win some, you lose some, but with her, she always wants to give away, even if the contestant lost. Sure a new car would be nice, but you can't reward losing.
[/quote]
Rosie has a very pathological need for people to like her. (Unless your name is Donald Trump.) This is how she feeds that; she gave away shiat all of the time on her talk show, too. She's pretty much devoid of a personality that isn't grating as all hell, so she's not gonna get friends that way, but she does have more money than God, so she's figured out that she can get people to like her if she gives them things.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 01:51:10 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'152726\' date=\'May 18 2007, 06:46 PM\']
She also got on my damn nerves by bluffing, then shaking her head to make sure the contestant disagreed.[/quote]

She just wanted to make sure she didn't get cancer from lying.

How is she not a host, and yet Dylan Lane, Ty Treadway, the guy from Temptation who's name escapes me, George Hamilton, Mario Lopez, Dave Price, and Mark Steines are?

Because someone with a format said so.  Nobody said that they were good, though.  O'Donnell wouldn't be good, either, because no matter how much experience or talent she has, she will automatically divide an audience because of her being two-faced.  If you name her as the successor to (arguably) one of the most liked faces on television, then you're shooting yourself in both feet.

/Lopez was serviceable on Pet Star
This signature is currently under construction.

SamJ93

She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 01:32:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'152702\' date=\'May 18 2007, 05:09 PM\']
Bob injected social causes into the show long ago.
[/quote]

Even then, though, Bob mostly avoided making more controversial statements about his views on animal rights--mostly staying to things that everyone could get behind, like adoption and spaying/neutering.

Could Rosie host a game show at some point?  Possibly--if she gets rid of her "everyone wins" mentality and keeps the political stuff off the air.  But, IMHO, it would definitely have to be a more celebrity-oriented game show like Match Game--TPiR is just too well-structured.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Neumms

She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 03:43:10 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'152722\' date=\'May 18 2007, 05:36 PM\']
I'd like to see Rosie host a game show but not TPiR. How about a revival of Two for the Money?
[/quote]

I'd buy this. That format is built for a strong host. And I actually love the game part.

I like Rosie, but the funny thing is that when she started her original talk show, she wanted light entertainment like Mike Douglas, not controversial stuff.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 04:02:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'152852\' date=\'May 19 2007, 12:43 PM\']
I like Rosie, but the funny thing is that when she started her original talk show, she wanted light entertainment like Mike Douglas, not controversial stuff.
[/quote]
Rosie is a classic example of fame going to a person's head. When her talk show started she was just another well-known-but-still-relatively-unsuccessful comedienne. Then it took off. And off. And off. And the bigger the show got, the bigger Rosie's head got. And the bigger your head gets, the more you think people care about your political views.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'152854\' date=\'May 19 2007, 03:02 PM\']
Rosie is a classic example of fame going to a person's head. When her talk show started she was just another well-known-but-still-relatively-unsuccessful comedienne. Then it took off. And off. And off. And the bigger the show got, the bigger Rosie's head got. And the bigger your head gets, the more you think people care about your political views.
[/quote]

Indeed. Interesting how some celebrities are canny enough to keep them to themselves. That talk show host, Winfrey, out of Chicago, for example.

BrandonFG

She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 04:25:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'152854\' date=\'May 19 2007, 04:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'152852\' date=\'May 19 2007, 12:43 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Case in point, using a Tom Selleck interview to ambush him about gun rights, when he was there to promote a new movie. This was about three years into her show, and she'd won a couple of Daytime Emmys.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 09:41:05 AM »
... assuming this is not a joke, we're praying Barker's legacy isn't sullied with the introduction of O'Donnell's unsubtle comedy stylings into Price is Right's delicate game show chemistry.
You can't put it any better than that. Rosie is all wrong for TPIR.

I don't think I've ever seen Rosie smile. You know, the ear-to-ear s***-eating grin that says "happy happy, fun fun" that emcees are supposed to wear. Jack Barry and Allen Funt come to mind as two tough-guy New Yorkers who were able to project enough charm into the camera to be accepted by audiences. When I think of Rosie, the word "charm" does not immediately come to mind. I've seen Rosie scowl and I've seen her frown, but smile? No. In addition, despite her fantasy, TPIR would be far too limiting for her. She needs a forum where she can spout off. TPIR would not afford her that opportunity.

My vision of her taking the job has her with a chronic case of Whoopi-itis: installing herself as executive producer and demanding a Barker-size salary. The show would then be her oyster and she could tinker it to death.

This random thought just popped into my head: who will take over as E.P. after Barker leaves? IMO there are only three people who are even remotely qualified for the position: Roger Dobkowitz, Barbara Hunter Welsh and Jay Wolpert. I know the first two and have dealt a litttle bit with Jay. I would trust no one else with the show.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:50:40 AM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 12:40:35 PM »
Ya know, it may come down to a situation where either Rosie hosts TPIR or Rosie hosts a show that replaces TPIR.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007, 01:49:38 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'152915\' date=\'May 20 2007, 09:41 AM\']
I don't think I've ever seen Rosie smile. You know, the ear-to-ear s***-eating grin that says "happy happy, fun fun" that emcees are supposed to wear.
[/quote]
I have...there's a promotional poster for "The View" in the hallway at my job. She noticeably prominent in the picture (i.e., she actually stands in front of the other three, doubt it's a coincidence), and she has this big Joker (Jack Nicholson, not the game show character) grin that says "How f**king long do I have to hold this smile" and "Come out, come out wherever you arrrrrre!!!"

It's pretty creepy. In fact here's This looks like the actual pic, or a similar one.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2007, 04:27:41 AM »
That smile says "happy happy, fun fun" all right.

uncamark

She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007, 12:59:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'152915\' date=\'May 20 2007, 08:41 AM\']
This random thought just popped into my head: who will take over as E.P. after Barker leaves? IMO there are only three people who are even remotely qualified for the position: Roger Dobkowitz, Barbara Hunter Welsh and Jay Wolpert. I know the first two and have dealt a litttle bit with Jay. I would trust no one else with the show.
[/quote]

Roger, unless Fremantle brings over this Howard Huntridge whose name has been mentioned before in the Dave Price debacle.  That YouTube clip of Portugese "TPIR" has his name in the credits (and has Fremantle as the producer, complete with the guitar/conga drum logo music), so someone in London or Paris or Luxembourg or wherever Fremantle has their main office must think that he's the "TPIR" guy--at least in Europe.  (He also produced the last two UK versions of the show.)

davemackey

She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 04:32:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'152915\' date=\'May 20 2007, 09:41 AM\']
[/quote]
I could see Roger Dobkowitz moving into an executive's position, because he has the track record of 35 continuous years of service to the show and Fremantle ought to reward that somehow. Then Fingers or Stan Blits would probably wind up in the producer's chair.

I don't think you'd get Wolpert away from that lucrative screenwriting career - he's probably made a mint off "Pirates of the Carribean" by now and really doesn't need to "work" any more.

Timsterino

She's Ba-ack!
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2007, 10:53:35 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'152665\' date=\'May 18 2007, 02:32 PM\']
I know I'm in the minority, but I disagree.

I think she'd be great for the show. Or hosting a revival of Match Game.

Seriously.
[/quote]

I agree.