Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best DVD copying software  (Read 2106 times)

rebelwrest

Best DVD copying software
« on: May 21, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »
I need some help with picking some software for copying DVDs for game show trading.  I will making my DVDs directly from my laptop and have the burner installed on my laptop.  I am trying to find some software that will let me pick which episodes to copy off of a DVD.  Also I would like to try to pick which episodes that I want to burn onto DVD.

Is it better to copy the whole DVD then just pick which episodes to burn onto a DVD?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 03:46:35 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'152968\' date=\'May 21 2007, 12:12 PM\']Is it better to copy the whole DVD then just pick which episodes to burn onto a DVD?[/quote]
Yes.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 04:07:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'152974\' date=\'May 21 2007, 12:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'152968\' date=\'May 21 2007, 12:12 PM\']Is it better to copy the whole DVD then just pick which episodes to burn onto a DVD?[/quote]
Yes.
[/quote]
Whyfor...is there a technical reason why this is so? I would imagine that for someone tech-savvy, it would be doable (if more time-consuming) to extract the necessary data and then burn that to a new disc, yes?

(Hence, I ask if that's a "technical" answer as opposed to a "logistical" one.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 05:37:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'152976\' date=\'May 21 2007, 04:07 PM\']
Whyfor...is there a technical reason why this is so? I would imagine that for someone tech-savvy, it would be doable (if more time-consuming) to extract the necessary data and then burn that to a new disc, yes?[/quote]
My impression is that you'd have to be very tech-savvy.  (And any minute now, someone who IS very tech-savvy will say how simple it is.)  

If you have to ask the question, then my feeling is that it's just SO much easier and less time-consuming to simply make a copy of the entire disc.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 05:55:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'152985\' date=\'May 21 2007, 02:37 PM\']
My impression is that you'd have to be very tech-savvy.  (And any minute now, someone who IS very tech-savvy will say how simple it is.) If you have to ask the question, then my feeling is that it's just SO much easier and less time-consuming to simply make a copy of the entire disc.
[/quote]
Absolutely. And you're exactly right, if you _are_ tech-savvy, it's a pretty simple process. (And if you're not, it very isn't. And I realize a lot of people aren't, which is also just fine.) My question, as a tech-savvy person, was whether there was a degradation issue (say, from decoding and re-encoding) or something that I might not have known about. And you answered it. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 05:56:45 PM by clemon79 »

tpirfan28

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 05:57:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'152985\' date=\'May 21 2007, 05:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'152976\' date=\'May 21 2007, 04:07 PM\']
Whyfor...is there a technical reason why this is so? I would imagine that for someone tech-savvy, it would be doable (if more time-consuming) to extract the necessary data and then burn that to a new disc, yes?[/quote]
My impression is that you'd have to be very tech-savvy.  (And any minute now, someone who IS very tech-savvy will say how simple it is.)  

If you have to ask the question, then my feeling is that it's just SO much easier and less time-consuming to simply make a copy of the entire disc.
[/quote]I'm fairly tech-savvy...and I have no clue.  I figured a Freakin' Google(tm) search would yield something close...but I just got more confused.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 06:35:31 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'152988\' date=\'May 21 2007, 02:57 PM\']
I'm fairly tech-savvy...and I have no clue.  I figured a Freakin' Google(tm) search would yield something close...but I just got more confused.
[/quote]
It would probably largely depend on if your DVD-mastering software accepted VOB files as input. If it did, all you have to know is how to rip the chapter you want to a VOB. (Which is not idiotproof-easy, but is learnable, and would be easy once you did it a few times and figured out a method.)

But, yeah, for the rebelwrest's out there, just dupe the whole DVD.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 06:37:20 PM by clemon79 »

trainman

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 10:51:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'152990\' date=\'May 21 2007, 03:35 PM\']It would probably largely depend on if your DVD-mastering software accepted VOB files as input. If it did, all you have to know is how to rip the chapter you want to a VOB.[/quote]

The open-source Handbrake software can rip individual DVD chapters/titles/whatever to a couple of different formats, including MP4 and AVI, which most if not all DVD-mastering software should be able to handle.  I assume there's some sort of decompression and recompression going on somewhere, but I haven't noticed any loss in quality with the DVDs I burn from the Handbrake files versus the originals.
trainman is a man of trains

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 11:24:57 PM »
Hmm. It surprises me that Handbrake _doesn't_ support extracting to VOB, since it has to read a VOB anyhow to extract the video in the first place.