Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A "Password" revival?  (Read 5221 times)

TimK2003

A "Password" revival?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 12:24:30 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'151479\' date=\'May 4 2007, 09:35 AM\']
As for Password - I wonder in general why classic "thinking persons'" shows haven't found a home on the many so-called "thinking persons" cable channels. If Discovery can run "Cash Cab" which is little more than a trivia show with a unique setting, why not increase our vocabularies with Password? Or salute education with College Bowl?
[/quote]

Because in this world of political correctness, many shows (including game shows) think they have to dumb down their material, so as not to offend the un(der)-educated audience.  And unfortunately in this era, the less-intelligent you make a show, the better the ratings go (See: "Deal Or No Deal").

Password, if executed correctly, can begin to pull the game show genre back toward the direction of intelligent quiz shows that make you work for your winnings.  

If given the choice of getting on a game show with all travel/lodging expenses paid, and to have a chance to play a game with one or two A or B-list celebs and possibly win up to $25K, or to appear on a show by myself (with a remote chance of winning a six-or-seven figure prize) on my dime, I would take the former.

At least you can say that hey, part of my prize "win or lose" was to get to go to California and play a game with a famous celebrity on my team.  How many modern day game show contestants can say that?  

If I came back with more money than what I started out with, even better. :-)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 12:29:04 PM by TimK2003 »

Jimmy Owen

A "Password" revival?
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 12:39:27 PM »
Very few, if any, game shows will pick up your travel expenses.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

A "Password" revival?
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 01:28:31 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'151484\' date=\'May 4 2007, 12:24 PM\']
If given the choice of getting on a game show with all travel/lodging expenses paid, and to have a chance to play a game with one or two A or B-list celebs and possibly win up to $25K, or to appear on a show by myself (with a remote chance of winning a six-or-seven figure prize) on my dime, I would take the former.
[/quote]
That's another thing that kinda irritates me about a lot of the current games, the lack of a consolation prize. I mean, I'm not saying offer the $1,000 minimum that Wheel and J! give...I think even H^2 offered $500. But I just don't like that I've stood there for half an hour and have nothing to show for it, esp. since I have to pay my own money to fly to California, and worry about lodging, etc.

Just a pet peeve of mine.

/then again, what would you rather have...
//the pizza-in-a-box* and Press-On-Nails
///or nothing?
////*cut a hole in the box...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A "Password" revival?
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007, 01:34:10 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'151493\' date=\'May 4 2007, 10:28 AM\']
I mean, I'm not saying offer the $1,000 minimum that Wheel and J! give...I think even H^2 offered $500. But I just don't like that I've stood there for half an hour and have nothing to show for it, esp. since I have to pay my own money to fly to California, and worry about lodging, etc.
[/quote]
Then, um, don't go on the show?

It seems to me that those shows that do not offer a consolation prize are usually those whose top prize is a disgusting amount of money, yes? So there's your tradeoff: in return for the possibility of winning eleventy billion dollars instead of just $20K or $30K, you risk going home with nothing, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe