Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steines, Hamilton, Newton  (Read 7232 times)

TimK2003

Steines, Hamilton, Newton
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 08:13:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'150310\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 07:19 PM\']

And you would be wrong.  I don't watch TPiR much anymore, and don't plan to in the future...maybe when they pick some decent contestants will it be worth watching again.
[/quote]

Are you sure you're speaking of TPIR and not Deal Or No Deal??? :-)

What I would like to see in place come September is a better 'dress' code.  Limit sweatshirts, T-shirts, etc... to only those found in regular clothing stores.  College name attire, or tops with home cities or states could remain acceptable, but let's put an end to the "Lets Make A Deal"-type signs/pictures/sayings on fabric.

Then perhaps the contestant coordinators who are there this fall can concentrate on finding contestants with personalities rather than contestants with witty "All Hail Bob & TPIR" sayings or pictures across their chests.

If nearly every other game show out there can maintain some sort of dress code, so can Price!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 08:23:43 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'150300\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 02:12 PM\']
(remembering the first time I went through Dubuque on U.S. 20 and driving under a pedestrian bridge with the city's slogan at the time: "DUBUQUE: A PLACE TO LIVE.")

Talk about low expectations.
[/quote]
I live in North Seattle, and work in Redmond. On my commute to work each day, I pass through the city of Bothell, which has the following sign at the city limits:

BOTHELL: FOR A DAY....OR A LIFETIME

Pretty ominous.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'150314\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 08:13 PM\']
What I would like to see in place come September is a better 'dress' code.  Limit sweatshirts, T-shirts, etc... to only those found in regular clothing stores.  College name attire, or tops with home cities or states could remain acceptable, but let's put an end to the "Lets Make A Deal"-type signs/pictures/sayings on fabric.
[/quote]
I've suggested that as well, and I definitely agree. I'd love to see the contestants dress the way they did in the mid-to-late-80s, maybe polo shirts and jeans for males (at the very least), and maybe blouses and jeans for females. Dress like you're going on a game show and not like you're going to Wal-Mart at 3 in the morning.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 08:45:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'150317\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 05:28 PM\']
I've suggested that as well, and I definitely agree. I'd love to see the contestants dress the way they did in the mid-to-late-80s, maybe polo shirts and jeans for males (at the very least), and maybe blouses and jeans for females. Dress like you're going on a game show and not like you're going to Wal-Mart at 3 in the morning.
[/quote]
But, that said, it IS a game show, and not church.

That said, the problem is self-fixing, it doesn't require any kind of official dress code or anything like that.

The only reason the whole costume thing happened on Let's Make A Deal was because someone did it once, and got picked. I have to think that would work in the other direction, too. If the Price people don't PICK the jackbag in the Who Farted hat and the B0B R00LZ T-shirt, and start picking the person dressed in the tasteful polo & Dockers, that's gonna trickle downhill and people are gonna realize that's how you dress if you want to be on the show.

(It might also help if they figured out some kind of ticketing system that didn't require getting in line the night before, too. I'm not putting on nice clothes to sleep on the sidewalk all night, either.)

mcsittel

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 09:02:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150316\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 07:23 PM\']
I live in North Seattle, and work in Redmond. On my commute to work each day, I pass through the city of Bothell, which has the following sign at the city limits:

BOTHELL: FOR A DAY....OR A LIFETIME

Pretty ominous.
[/quote]

** And I'm guessing the syllabification isn't bot-hell, is it?  Does it rhyme with Othello without the final 'o'?

David Levy

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 09:20:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'150282\']The one thing I'm surprised in throughout this whole process is that Marc Summers wasn't considered for an audition. He was excellent in the live show, even a better conversationalist than Todd. He was easily my #2 choice. Ah well.[/quote]
When I read that Bob Barker was retiring, I immediately thought of Marc Summers as a potential replacement (and I wasn't even aware that he'd emceed the stage show).

In addition to his ideal personality and hosting experience, I think back to how good he was at explaining the rules of the numerous physical challenges (a talent that could have been carried over to the pricing games).  Additionally, an entire generation of game show fans (now within an age range that's highly desirable to advertisers) grew up watching Marc host Double Dare.  That familiarity could have been a major asset.

I also immediately thought of Todd Newton, however, and I hope that he lands the gig.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 10:23:16 PM »
I personally rooted for Marc Summers to get the job, mainly for one reason: If he could recognize all those obstacles---allegedly without cue cards-----then he could easily learn all the pricing games. I will say, though, that I haven't seen him do the stage show, so I really have no other reference to work from.

Todd would have been my other choice, and as the one who lives 45 miles north of me said, if we can get "HoSho Todd" instead of "Whammy! Todd", he could be a pretty good choice indeed.

I can't say anything about Steines, but I have to be honest----I could see The Toasted One having some potential if he gets chosen.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

whewfan

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 01:12:13 AM »
I know Marc used cue cards to explain the rules of DD, as evidenced in one episode where he explains the rules, then walks to the cue card guy, tearing up the cards and proclaiming "I do not need these anymore!"

It would be ideal if the new host was announced on one of the upcoming primetime shows (most likely the Million Dollar one) If that's the case, I'm sure that whomever on here might be lucky enough to attend one of those tapings will find it VERY hard to remain silent as to who got the gig.

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 01:23:02 AM »
Won't matter. It'll be on G-R.net in twelve seconds.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 03:14:14 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150322\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 05:45 PM\']The only reason the whole costume thing happened on Let's Make A Deal was because someone did it once, and got picked. I have to think that would work in the other direction, too. If the Price people don't PICK the jackbag in the Who Farted hat and the B0B R00LZ T-shirt, and start picking the person dressed in the tasteful polo & Dockers, that's gonna trickle downhill and people are gonna realize that's how you dress if you want to be on the show.[/quote]Sometimes I wonder about that. I figure if the whole group is trying to get the show done as quickly as possible, they would pick nine random people from the crowd and Stan could go write the showcase skit or come up with another trip cue. It would be no worse than most of the contestant lineups he picks.

But apparently they actually do some sort of "test" in the line, even though it's only a few sentences worth of conversation. So, what criteria are they using to pick their contestants? There's been more than one show I remember where all nine contestants had some sort of homemade homage shirt, and they're no better or worse players than anyone else. So obviously, that "test" isn't doing anything but taking up time.

I'm not even sure what my point was anymore. I suppose, like most of the show, if they wanted quality, they could accomplish that goal with a minimal increase in effort. That they aren't just shows that the people in charge want to get the show in the can and go home.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:15:13 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Terry K

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 04:01:30 AM »
Again, I must post the Barker-Steines connection...

He soon moved to KSPR-TV in Springfield, MO, where he served as sports anchor from 1988 to 1991
Mark Steines in Springfield, MO

Wouldn't it be nice if Bob's replacement cut his teeth in the same place he did? :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 05:39:10 AM by Terry K »

trustno1

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 04:23:47 AM »
One question.
If Mark Steines does get the job, will he wait until it is officially announced to comment, or will he announce it on Entertainement Tonight?
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats

TimK2003

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 09:39:37 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'150340\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 03:14 AM\']
Sometimes I wonder about that. I figure if the whole group is trying to get the show done as quickly as possible, they would pick nine random people from the crowd and Stan could go write the showcase skit or come up with another trip cue. It would be no worse than most of the contestant lineups he picks.

But apparently they actually do some sort of "test" in the line, even though it's only a few sentences worth of conversation. So, what criteria are they using to pick their contestants? [/quote]

Not sure of the exact "test" they are doing in qualifying potential contestants, but it's a safe assumption that one aspect is which person out of the group of 20 UCLA students will represent their group as a contestant.  This is to assure that of the 300 or so eligible audience members (or those who want to be in the contestant pool), a 'group' is not represented by more than one contestant.  

If they were to make more of a random selection of audience members, I would think they would keep the group restrictions intact.

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
[quote name=\'trustno1\' post=\'150345\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 01:23 AM\']
One question.
If Mark Steines does get the job, will he wait until it is officially announced to comment, or will he announce it on Entertainement Tonight?
[/quote]
Now, why do you think he would jeopardize his newfound employment windfall by announcing ANYTHING before his employers cleared him to?

Gromit

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 11:42:06 AM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'150323\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 06:02 PM\']

** And I'm guessing the syllabification isn't bot-hell, is it?  Does it rhyme with Othello without the final 'o'?
[/quote]

Depends on how you pronounce Othello. :) If you stress the O in front, "Oh" then "thello", the answer is no.

It's both-ell, with the "both" part pronounced like the beginning of bought rather than the word both, and the ell part is more like the ending of legal than the letter L.

As to the hosts, I thought it was a joke when I read George Hamilton. I mean seriously, do they want to be doing another host search in a couple of years?

Never seen Steines in my life, so have nothing to say about him. Sure he would be fine, if he made it this far. I'd tend to go with the guy with previous hosting experience.