Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Consolation Prizes  (Read 6652 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Consolation Prizes
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 01:05:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'150362\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 09:29 AM\']
Alongside the hot dog roller on Walmart.com there was a chocolate fountain, which could have been a consolation prize on Match Game '06 if that existed. Has anyone ever seen one work? Do they?
[/quote]
Yeah, they've come up on Food Network a couple times. I dunno how well the cheap ones work (though, it's a heating element and an auger; really it's a pretty simple system), but I know the professional-grade ones work, and they're actually really cool. :)

(I don't know if I'd pour just any chocolate into one, though...they make special melting chocolate for those things, I'm thinking it would be wisest to stay with those.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 03:52:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150370\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 12:05 PM\']
Yeah, they've come up on Food Network a couple times. I dunno how well the cheap ones work (though, it's a heating element and an auger; really it's a pretty simple system), but I know the professional-grade ones work, and they're actually really cool. :)

(I don't know if I'd pour just any chocolate into one, though...they make special melting chocolate for those things, I'm thinking it would be wisest to stay with those.)
[/quote]

I'd hate to spend the big bucks on the good one, though, since they seem even less practical than keeping a fondue set around. But it's cool to hear they work. I wonder if you could fill it with gravy for Thanksgiving (presuming your gravy is lump-free).

And in case this is veering away from game shows, it just dawned on me that this is the kind of thing that could be the home shopping element on the new "Temptation."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Consolation Prizes
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 04:37:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'150386\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 12:52 PM\']
I'd hate to spend the big bucks on the good one, though, since they seem even less practical than keeping a fondue set around. But it's cool to hear they work.
[/quote]
Oh, they totally are. You'd never buy one yourself unless you entertained a WHOLE lot, and even then there are catering places that will rent one to you and sell you appropriate chocolate. (You can even get them here at Microsoft through Catering for meetings and such. How come those are never at MY meetings?)
I wonder if you could fill it with gravy for Thanksgiving (presuming your gravy is lump-free).
You could, I'm sure, but I don't think the effect would be quite the same. But the idea of someone sticking a turkey drumstick under a Fountain 'O' Gravy amuses me in a Peter Griffin / Homer Simpson way. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Consolation Prizes
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »
Weird offshoot here, but earlier this season they actually had a chocolate fountain up for grabs in Any Number, and whoever set it up got one tier to work right, but the other two were plopping down rather than flowing...like a kid turning over a Handi Snacks pudding cup. For how often I'd use it, I'd just rent one and have somebody who knows their stuff work it.

-Jason
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 06:35:30 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tpirfan28

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 08:11:21 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'150399\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 06:35 PM\']
Weird offshoot here, but earlier this season they actually had a chocolate fountain up for grabs in Any Number, and whoever set it up got one tier to work right, but the other two were plopping down rather than flowing...like a kid turning over a Handi Snacks pudding cup. For how often I'd use it, I'd just rent one and have somebody who knows their stuff work it.

-Jason
[/quote]
Correct.

Surprisingly...I remember that.  The link explains why it wasn't flowing that well...and understandably so.  And yes...I would attempt to put gravy in it and stick a drumstick under it.

/don't look like Homer Simpson
//closer to Peter Griffin...but skinnier.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Fedya

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 11:05:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150392\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 04:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'150386\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 12:52 PM\']
I wonder if you could fill it with gravy for Thanksgiving (presuming your gravy is lump-free).
[/quote]
You could, I'm sure, but I don't think the effect would be quite the same. But the idea of someone sticking a turkey drumstick under a Fountain 'O' Gravy amuses me in a Peter Griffin / Homer Simpson way. :)
[/quote]
For some reason I found myself thinking of Crystal Gravy.  :-)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:06:41 PM by Fedya »
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Consolation Prizes
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2007, 07:38:17 AM »
The next time you find yourself in possession of a chocolate fountain, grab a bag of pretzels for a taste treat you'll never forget -- chocolate-dipped pretzels.