Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Jeopardy Effect  (Read 8073 times)

DrBear

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 05:55:17 PM »
+1, Animaniacs.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 07:31:12 PM »
Didn't they make the contestants wear dunce caps for answering in the form of a question on Win Ben Stein's Money?
*Indecipherable screaming*

BrandonFG

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 07:33:20 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLclark86\' post=\'148830\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 07:31 PM\']
Didn't they make the contestants wear dunce caps for answering in the form of a question on Win Ben Stein's Money?
[/quote]
Yes.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 07:40:15 PM »
There was also one time during a V-Day celeb couples special on Donnymid where Rosa Blasi's husband, Jim Finn, proceeded to make his guesses during a Winner's Circle in the form of a question...one wonders why she couldn't have just straight-out told him "this isn't J!" or something, might've meant a little more money for their charity.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'148834\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 07:40 PM\']
There was also one time during a V-Day celeb couples special on Donnymid where Rosa Blasi's husband, Jim Finn, proceeded to make his guesses during a Winner's Circle in the form of a question...one wonders why she couldn't have just straight-out told him "this isn't J!" or something, might've meant a little more money for their charity.
[/quote]

Then again, football players aren't always the best game show players (re: Reggie White on Celeb J!, missing a question on Cain and Abel...considering he was an ordained minister, it was a little surprising for me to see).

(For those of you who have never heard of Jim Finn, he's a fullback soon to be a former New York Giant, if you believe what certain people have said.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chops

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 10:14:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'148784\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 07:47 AM\']
What exactly gives you this inclination (and why is it that big of a deal)? [/quote]

I've noticed that questions that don't start with "what is...", "who is...", etc. are more likely to provoke Jeopardese responses, as they tend to sound more like J! clues.  Not to say that questions posed as questions won't result in Jeopardese responses, but if it sounds like a J! clue, more people are likely to respond as if it were.  

How this relates to Temptation:  if the Aussie version is any indication, there are some questions out there like "Add a letter to (word) to get..." that, if brought over to the US version, would be more likely to produce a Jeopardese response.

My point in all this (and thank you for patiently waiting for me to stop rambling and get to it) is that these other quiz shows, especially the three-people-with-buzzers variety, aren't trying to be J!.  Over the years, J! made such an impact on these other shows that contestants, when faced with bright lights and the prospect of thousands, even millions of people watching, forget what show they're on.  IMO, that diminishes the other shows' identities just a little bit each time.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'148800\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 11:20 AM\'] The 'Jeopardy Effect' is actually not a bad term for a very real phenomenon. (Not surprisingly, we get it on QuizBusters fairly often as well.)  Still, it's hardly a problem, and I'm not sure why you think Temptation would have to 'prepare' for it, unless you're hoping that they'll have some kind of planned humorous response the way that Ben and Jimmy did.[/quote]

I'm mainly referring to how the host in particular is going to have to prepare for it.  The producers, in turn, should make sure he's ready for it and can respond either humorously or (at least) professionally.  The examples given here of occurrences on other shows would make for a great guide to any rookie game show host.  

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'148800\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 11:20 AM\']I'm also guessing that you misread Pat Finn's reaction, because genuinely becoming irritated about it is just about the worst possible response, and Finn was smarter than that. [/quote]

Granted, that was almost half a lifetime ago when I saw it.  For some reason, I thought he could've handled it better, by either making light of the situation, or if he couldn't, save the admonishment for the break (I remember this is how Marc handled the situation on the episode of History IQ that I mentioned).  While Pat did keep his composure as a professional should, there was just something I recall about the way he said "this isn't Jeopardy."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:46:58 PM by chops »

Jay Temple

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 11:30:52 PM »
Add one more. The one time I watched Wordplay, it was a problem. I've often thought some show should add a penalty for phrasing your response that way.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 12:01:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'148849\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 08:30 PM\']Add one more. The one time I watched Wordplay, it was a problem. I've often thought some show should add a penalty for phrasing your response that way.[/quote]I thought about this too, but then figured things out. In penalizing players (any moreso than Ben's Money did, anyhow) will cause bad feelings among players and the audience, and the audience is going to think that the show is incredibly anal or stuffy to do something like that. Better to laugh it off with a joke, or to weed those people out during the testing. (I read somewhere that the Card Sharks folks would show the door to people who opted to "stay" instead of "freeze" during the front game when everyone was in the mock game pre-show testing.)

I see absolutely no upside to this. At all. If someone can come up with something, I'd love to hear it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:02:45 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2007, 01:50:38 AM »
Then there was the first season of "Debt," which paid homage to (or ripped off) the J! style with the "I am, you are" format.  Was there any reason why that was scrapped?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jeremy Nelson

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 11:51:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'148849\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 10:30 PM\']
I've often thought some show should add a penalty for phrasing your response that way.
[/quote]
I know that the current College Bowl format doesn't allow it in competition.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

uncamark

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 12:31:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'148998\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 12:50 AM\']
Then there was the first season of "Debt," which paid homage to (or ripped off) the J! style with the "I am, you are" format.  Was there any reason why that was scrapped?
[/quote]

No doubt for the same reason the game board got changed--too close for comfort on a show produced by Disney and airing on a Disney-co-owned cable network where the show they're affectionately sending up is one of the breadwinners of stations owned by Disney.

Erring on the side of caution and all that.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'148845\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 08:37 PM\']
(For those of you who have never heard of Jim Finn, he's a fullback soon to be a former New York Giant, if you believe what certain people have said.)
[/quote]
That's irrelevant.

/Those of you who follow the NFL religiously might get that.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 02:01:08 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'149035\' date=\'Mar 26 2007, 11:51 AM\']
I've often thought some show should add a penalty for phrasing your response that way.
[/quote]
I know that the current College Bowl format doesn't allow it in competition.[/quote]
I'm not finding anything about that in their official rules, and it makes precious little sense that they would rule somebody wrong for phrasing an otherwise correct response that way.  I'm not saying you're wrong, but as someone with more than a passing interest in quiz bowl competiton, I'd be very interested in finding out how you know this to be true.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
Veering, Why aren't other questions acceptable as J! responses?  "Grant's Tomb?" is a valid question, but unacceptable.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rebelwrest

The Jeopardy Effect
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'149045\' date=\'Mar 26 2007, 02:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'149035\' date=\'Mar 26 2007, 11:51 AM\']
[/quote]
I know that the current College Bowl format doesn't allow it in competition.[/quote]
I'm not finding anything about that in their official rules, and it makes precious little sense that they would rule somebody wrong for phrasing an otherwise correct response that way.  I'm not saying you're wrong, but as someone with more than a passing interest in quiz bowl competiton, I'd be very interested in finding out how you know this to be true.
[/quote]

I concur with Matt on this one.  I just participated in a Regional College Bowl tournament and one person on my team phrased his answer in the form of a question and got a tiny chuckle.  There was no penalty given in the process for phrasing it in the form of a question.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.