Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Give-N-Take theme music...  (Read 8404 times)

Allstar87

Give-N-Take theme music...
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 06:53:59 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'146695\' date=\'Feb 22 2007, 06:46 PM\']
I read that and imagined a six-foot-tall cube tumbling around the set with contestants running out of its way.
[/quote]

And suddenly, the "We Built This City" music video pops into my head.

mmb5

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 07:39:55 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'146689\' date=\'Feb 22 2007, 05:16 PM\']
I'll get to it, folks.  Making gold out of crap doesn't happen overnight.
[/quote]
And by overnight I mean two hours.  Go here, look for Up and Over (someday I'll de-frame this).  And I take back the Platonic solid thing, since it was a four sided pyramid with a square base taken out of each die, and not a tetrahedron.  A square-based pyramid is not a Platonic solid.

--Mike
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 07:47:21 PM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

dazztardly

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 08:27:33 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tetrakishexahedron.jpg - I assume this is the style of die that was used?

-Dan Berger
FLASHGames²
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:28:22 PM by dazztardly »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 10:16:44 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'146759\' date=\'Feb 23 2007, 08:27 PM\']
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tetrakishexahedron.jpg - I assume this is the style of die that was used?[/quote]
Pretty much.  Picture that, though, with the pointy parts pushed inwards, so that the resulting figure behaves like a standard six-sided die.

I'm figuring that they came up with that odd design so that the die would be pushed around a lot more by the big-ass fan blowing up from below.  If so, they probably gave more thought to the die than they did to the rest of the game.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 02:24:43 PM »
"Give'n'Take" question--were the prizes displayed on stage, or on slides projected on stage, or on art cards? All I remember about this show, the one sickness-related time I got to see it, was the boredom and the ugly computer generated supers.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 02:48:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'146805\' date=\'Feb 24 2007, 02:24 PM\']"Give'n'Take" question--were the prizes displayed on stage, or on slides projected on stage, or on art cards? All I remember about this show, the one sickness-related time I got to see it, was the boredom and the ugly computer generated supers.[/quote]
At least one prize from the sole ep. of Give N Take was in-studio--a fur coat modeled by Jane Nelson, I presume.  (Haven't seen the tape in a number of years and I'm too lazy/occupied to look for it now.)

About the computer generated symbols, that was as good as it got in 1975, right?  A similar typeface was used on-screen for The New Treasure Hunt and You Don't Say!

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 11:31:51 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'146806\' date=\'Feb 24 2007, 02:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'146805\' date=\'Feb 24 2007, 02:24 PM\']"Give'n'Take" question--were the prizes displayed on stage, or on slides projected on stage, or on art cards? All I remember about this show, the one sickness-related time I got to see it, was the boredom and the ugly computer generated supers.[/quote]
At least one prize from the sole ep. of Give N Take was in-studio--a fur coat modeled by Jane Nelson, I presume.  (Haven't seen the tape in a number of years and I'm too lazy/occupied to look for it now.)

About the computer generated symbols, that was as good as it got in 1975, right?  A similar typeface was used on-screen for The New Treasure Hunt and You Don't Say!
[/quote]
I don't remember whose site had it, but wasn't there a trip to Switzerland, displayed on a rear projection screen? Or was that an effect similar to what PYL did for the winning contestant's list?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 11:43:29 PM »
Mine! Hi. Yeah, except for that fur coat, everything was on the big screen behind Jim that had the logo on it.

Picture

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

uncamark

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 02:25:40 PM »
And when it came to character generators, the 3M Datavision was the bottom of the barrel, but that's what TransAmerican Video (the company that provided the truck parked outside the Warners Burbank soundstage where they shot the show) had--they could've had a Vidifont or one of the early model Chyrons, but that's where they went.

Surprisingly, Big 3 networks used 3Ms on daytime shows (although the sans serif font--you had a grand total of two font choices, controlled by a toggle switch)--see "Rhyme and Reason" at ABC and "Wheel of Fortune" at NBC.

Neumms

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 03:41:32 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'146806\' date=\'Feb 24 2007, 02:48 PM\']
[/quote]

Yeah. The non-computer generated supers looked way better at the time. On Treasure Hunt I could see the change, and was snobbish about fonts even then.

davemackey

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 04:54:19 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'146928\' date=\'Feb 26 2007, 02:25 PM\']
And when it came to character generators, the 3M Datavision was the bottom of the barrel, but that's what TransAmerican Video (the company that provided the truck parked outside the Warners Burbank soundstage where they shot the show) had--they could've had a Vidifont or one of the early model Chyrons, but that's where they went.

Surprisingly, Big 3 networks used 3Ms on daytime shows (although the sans serif font--you had a grand total of two font choices, controlled by a toggle switch)--see "Rhyme and Reason" at ABC and "Wheel of Fortune" at NBC.
[/quote]
Much earlier, you wrote on this same topic:
Let us not damage the considerable reputation of Chyron Systems,
Inc.--the electronic graphics on "YDS!'75" were from the 3M
Datavision, the character generator for production facilities that
couldn't afford the very best.  Only two fonts (triggered by a toggle
switch) and none of them attractive.  If the big leagues owned them,
they were generally used only for slates and internal messages, except
that from the late 70s until the mid-80s, "Wheel of Fortune" used 3M
Datavision for the category and some disclaimer graphics, despite the
fact that NBC was one of Chyron's first clients (along with continuing
to use a board for the 317 list and a crawl machine for the long
credits).  Guess Merv considered electronic graphics a low priority.
Although, briefly in the 3M era, WOF did slip once in a while and use the better looking Chyron, until eventually adopting its use full time on the show.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:56:44 PM by davemackey »

ChuckNet

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 05:01:05 PM »
Surprisingly, Big 3 networks used 3Ms on daytime shows (although the sans serif font--you had a grand total of two font choices, controlled by a toggle switch)

They had some fun w/this on a 1976 ep of The New Treasure Hunt...during the credits, the switch was repeatedly flipped, so it would move back and forth between the 2 fonts every second or so.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")