Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tickets to Bob Barker's last TPIR  (Read 6677 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Tickets to Bob Barker's last TPIR
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'145726\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 09:57 AM\']
Well, in case I didn't make it clear, calling in a favor means that I wasn't going to be called as a contestant.  There were parts of the experience I missed out on, and the hopeful anticipation of possibly being chosen to play is certainly among them.
[/quote]
Exactly. When I was still working in TV, one of the stations was a CBS affil, and it would have been pretty easy to call and get on the VIP list, but when you do that, you render yourself ineligible. (Since I worked for a CBS affil, I'm pretty sure I was anyhow.)

That said, that vacation didn't pan out, I ended up visiting friends in Seattle instead, and now I live here. Life's funny.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007, 03:55:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'145726\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 12:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'145718\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 10:02 AM\']Matt, one wishes that they could do some gentle string pulling sometimes themselves to avoid that line, if you know what I mean. ;-)[/quote]
Well, in case I didn't make it clear, calling in a favor means that I wasn't going to be called as a contestant.  There were parts of the experience I missed out on, and the hopeful anticipation of possibly being chosen to play is certainly among them.
[/quote]

Yeah, but you know what?  It takes a bit of the pressure off.  I believe I had *more* fun sitting in VIP seats than I'd had as a civilian.  No special treatment once you're in the house, but walking through backstage, and not having to worry about getting called... Sure, I'd like to win A NEEEEEEEEEW CAAAAARRRRRRR, but it was plenty, plenty of fun even without that possiblity.
czambo@mac.com

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 04:40:10 PM »
Matt, I understood what you meant. In fact, I was directing the question more  to what you really meant than anything else. It was only a thought, however, and as much as I like the show, I don't have an urge to be a contestant, I just am very scared by what I hear about how long the lines are growing out there.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 09:11:34 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'145729\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 01:15 PM\']
While my fandom doesn't approach the level of, say, a Steve Gavazzi or a ClockGameJohn, I've always enjoyed the show, and as a game show fan I'm mindful of its place in history.[/quote]

I'm a little lost on the full definitions here...does this make me a "fanb0i?"

I've been honored to spend time on both sides.  First as a contestant, followed by alot of time backstage thanks to my friendship with Marc and later followed by Roger.

No, you won't see me at the final show either.  Does this NOT make me a "fanb0i?"

dzinkin

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 09:57:01 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'145764\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 09:11 PM\']
I'm a little lost on the full definitions here...does this make me a "fanb0i?"

I've been honored to spend time on both sides.  First as a contestant, followed by alot of time backstage thanks to my friendship with Marc and later followed by Roger.

No, you won't see me at the final show either.  Does this NOT make me a "fanb0i?"
[/quote]
THE OFFICIAL PRICE IS RIGHT FANB0I TEST, VERSION 0.1

1. Do you worship Bob Barker the way Rerun worshipped a head of lettuce on What's Happening?

2. Will you contemplate suicide if Dave Price is chosen to replace Bob?

3. Do you consider a bid of $69 or $420 in Contestants' Row to be a crime punishable by death rather than simply the mark of an idiot?

4. Is Roger Dobkowitz a man more powerful and threatening than the Bushes, the Clintons, the Cheneys, George Soros, John McCain, Barack Obama, the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy, the Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy, and the Vast Buffalo-Wing Conspiracy put together, rather than a nice guy who's been known to be generous with fans?

If the answer to all of the above is "no" then no, you are not a fanb0i. ;-)

Seriously, in no way do I equate "devoted fan" with "fanb0i" and I apologize if it came across that way.  But when Tyra Banks plays Barker's Beauty for a day, and Joe's response is to offer a serious critique of her performance -- and then, to have what is colloquially known in Yiddish as a "sh*tfit" when others instead see it as the fun stunt it is -- then yes, he's a fanb0i.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 10:04:53 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'145764\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 09:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'145729\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 01:15 PM\']
While my fandom doesn't approach the level of, say, a Steve Gavazzi or a ClockGameJohn, I've always enjoyed the show, and as a game show fan I'm mindful of its place in history.[/quote]

I'm a little lost on the full definitions here...does this make me a "fanb0i?"[/quote]
If it helps any, I don't personally think of you or Steve either one that way, and I don't think Dave does either.  It's one thing to appreciate genuine fandom, and I admire several of you for your contributions and insights and your true love of the show.  Lookit, I'm somebody who spent a full afternoon in the MSU libraries figuring out air dates for Cullen's Walk a Mile radio series, I'm not in a position to criticize a true fan.

Honestly, it seems a little silly for any of us who are already into a fringe interest to be trying to define degrees.  Still, I think many of us recognize "over the line" behavior when we see it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2007, 04:49:00 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'145769\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 06:57 PM\']
1. Do you worship Bob Barker the way Rerun worshipped a head of lettuce on What's Happening?
[/quote]
Hay HAY hay!

/no, John, you're not a fanboi.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2007, 06:09:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'145771\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 10:04 PM\']
 Lookit, I'm somebody who spent a full afternoon in the MSU libraries figuring out air dates for Cullen's Walk a Mile radio series, I'm not in a position to criticize a true fan.
[/quote]
Frickin Bill Cullen Fanb0is...they're the worst type of game show fans.

:)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2007, 07:01:27 AM »
I don't feel the pressing need to make a pilgrimage the normal contestant way. However, if it could be arranged to get a VIP situation, I'd make the arrangements. :)

Edited because you shouldn't post while drunk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 02:27:47 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2007, 11:31:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'145795\' date=\'Feb 10 2007, 04:49 AM\']
/no, John, you're not a fanboi.
[/quote]

Damn.  Thought I finally had a claim to fame.  ;-)