Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tickets to Bob Barker's last TPIR  (Read 6848 times)

dzinkin

Tickets to Bob Barker's last TPIR
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 06:00:09 PM »
[quote name=\'joe_capitano\' post=\'145652\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 05:32 PM\']
Let the record show I am (caps for emphasis) NOT, NEVER WAS, NEVER HAVE BEEN, NOR EVER WILL BE A "FANB0IZ".[/quote]
Er... how best to put this?  Oh yeah: YES, YOU ARE.

I don't consider all, or even most, of Golden-Road.net to be a bunch of obsessive, drooling fanb0iz.  I wouldn't even say that of the mods, who -- gee whiz -- kinda, sorta have to know a lot about the show to do what they do, and do a damned good job of it IMO.

I do agree with Chris that there are far too many people who worship Bob the way many of us worship God/Jesus/Allah/Buddha/Whatever-Deity-Isn't-Coming-to-Mind-Right-Now, who think that the world and Bob's tenure as TPIR host will end simultaneously, and who are unable to comprehend that some others might not share their obsession.  And if you're not one of those people, your apocalyptic language here, coupled with your refusal in another thread to allow Chris the right to his own opinion because you didn't deem it "substantial," not to mention your consideration of Studio 33 to be sacred ground warranting extra-special attention to attire, amount to an extremely good impersonation.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 06:03:54 PM by dzinkin »

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 06:20:43 PM »
When you make a post saying that Barker's days are numbered, that's a pretty fanb01-worthy statement to make.

It ranks right up there with the guy who said that we don't even know if Barker will make it to June 6.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 06:36:11 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'145658\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 03:20 PM\']
When you make a post saying that Barker's days are numbered, that's a pretty fanb01-worthy statement to make.
[/quote]
Well, now, wait. He's right there, at least. To say someone's "days are numbered" doesn't imply they're necessarily going to die, it merely means that the exact number of days they will be engaging in a given activity are low enough as to reasonably be able to start counting them.

There's lots of other good fanb0i evidence (David linked two examples), but I wouldn't call that one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 07:28:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'145661\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 06:36 PM\']
There's lots of other good fanb0i evidence (David linked two examples), but I wouldn't call that one.
[/quote]
Actually, I wouldn't call the Barker-might-not-make-it-to-June-6th comment a "fanb0i" remark either.  To me it's just plain creepy.

Don Howard

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 08:51:09 AM »
Not wishing to spend multiple days in line for a single session, I shall content myself with the memories of my six visits to Studio 33 with Bob Barker at the helm (plus a couple of tapings with Tom Kennedy) and wait until the new guy starts.
Good luck to all who venture out to Beverly Blvd and Fairfax Ave. We'll watch for you.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 08:56:45 AM »
Not wishing to spend multiple days in line for a single session, I shall content myself with the memories of my six visits to Studio 33 with Bob Barker at the helm

That's what I was thinking.  Although I only got out there once, I'm glad I did when I did.  We lined up at 1:30 a.m. and had a great time in line...but I wouldn't really want to line up hours earlier than that.  

I have a feeling that 1:30 a.m. now would already put you around the corner!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 09:00:12 AM »
I don't usually belong in a TPIR thread, but I have to say that I'm perfectly satisfied with my one visit to the show.  Got to see the man work, enjoyed it greatly, and thanks to some gentle string-pulling by a friend, didn't have to pull an all-nighter to do it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 09:28:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'145709\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 09:00 AM\']
I don't usually belong in a TPIR thread, but I have to say that I'm perfectly satisfied with my one visit to the show.  Got to see the man work, enjoyed it greatly, and thanks to some gentle string-pulling by a friend, didn't have to pull an all-nighter to do it.
[/quote]
Agreed. One trip was plenty. I did the all-nighter, leaving the then-preggers wife in the Farmer's Daughter. My efforts got me front row. Cool experience that I will NOT choose to do again.

Tho I'd wait in line for Dave Price's is Right...I'd be in line at the multiplex down the stret.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »
Likewise am I satisified with my three days of visits in June of '91 (so long ago that I got there at daybreak (~ 0630) the last two days, and was #43 in line both times.)  
Sitting further back at the first taping, I was singled out by Bob during the break before the Showcase for prize reaction rehearsal.  I failed, since I'd already strained my voice shouting suggestions earlier in the show.
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 09:46:06 AM »
Twice was fine for me as well (once on my own, the other with a few of the names who have posted before me and some others that haven't yet stepped forward).  I had a ball both times.

If the opportunity arises to see whoever the new guy is when I venture out to L.A. in mid-July, I may take the flyer.  But seeing Barker's final tapings is best left to the people who can feasibly be there, of which I wouldn't qualify.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TimK2003

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'145716\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 10:46 AM\']
If the opportunity arises to see whoever the new guy is when I venture out to L.A. in mid-July, I may take the flyer.  
[/quote]

Speaking of which, has there been any word on the Davidson/O'Hurley/Newton tryouts a couple of weeks ago, or did anybody attend?

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 10:02:21 AM »
I guess I should fess up and say at this point that I am going in early March, and while I am wholly prepared to spend all night on the sidewalk, the only unpleasant part being being on the sidewalk itself (don' t worry, measures will be taken for comfort), the experience is one that I'll never get an opportunity to do again, obviously.

Matt, one wishes that they could do some gentle string pulling sometimes themselves to avoid that line, if you know what I mean. ;-)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 10:46:13 AM »
I'm planning to see the show from the best seat in the house---my living room couch.  Bill Cullen was really the only host I'd would have wanted to see in person, and since that's not gonna happen, why settle for less?  Are they scheduling any tapings beyond the sixth of June?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 12:57:58 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'145718\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 10:02 AM\']Matt, one wishes that they could do some gentle string pulling sometimes themselves to avoid that line, if you know what I mean. ;-)[/quote]
Well, in case I didn't make it clear, calling in a favor means that I wasn't going to be called as a contestant.  There were parts of the experience I missed out on, and the hopeful anticipation of possibly being chosen to play is certainly among them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 01:15:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'145726\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 12:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'145718\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 10:02 AM\']Matt, one wishes that they could do some gentle string pulling sometimes themselves to avoid that line, if you know what I mean. ;-)[/quote]
Well, in case I didn't make it clear, calling in a favor means that I wasn't going to be called as a contestant.  There were parts of the experience I missed out on, and the hopeful anticipation of possibly being chosen to play is certainly among them.
[/quote]
Indeed; I did likewise to get in last summer, because my health at the time precluded getting in via the normal means.  Therefore, my choice was between the string-pulling method and nothing, so the only thing I was allowed to be called up for was Rich's warm-up.  (Which I was, but happily, I embarrassed myself in front of only the crew and the studio audience. ;-)

While my fandom doesn't approach the level of, say, a Steve Gavazzi or a ClockGameJohn, I've always enjoyed the show, and as a game show fan I'm mindful of its place in history.   As such, it's something I'd always wanted to do, and for me the fact that I couldn't become a contestant was a fair trade-off.  It might not be for others.