Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Show Vault  (Read 7744 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Game Show Vault
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 03:52:31 AM »
Well done on the redesign. The Vault page is much more browser-friendly now. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

RJSchex

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'145697\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 12:04 AM\']
Can anyone out there who remembers watching the show verify the exact order of the hosts?
Was it March, Kennedy, Gautier, Waggoner?[/quote]

That's exactly the sequence given in the book Total Television by Alex McNeil; I think, therefore, it must be right.

Jimmy Owen

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 09:09:23 AM »
Going by listings in the NYC edition of TV Guide for WNBC, Hal March was first in Sept 69, in November, Tom Kennedy was listed as host. In May of 70, Dick Gautier, back to Tom in the fall of 71, Lyle Waggoner is first listed in March of 72 and continued until the fall of 73 when the show went off.  So piecing the puzzle as best I can it was Hal, Tom and Dick in the 69-70 season, Dick in the 70-71, Tom and Lyle 71-72 and Lyle 72-73.  

To explain the absences, Tom tried a Merv-Mike type talk show in 1970 which didn't last long and, of course, started "Split Sec." in April of 72.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Mike Tennant

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 11:02:45 PM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'145704\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 08:18 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'145697\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 12:04 AM\']
Can anyone out there who remembers watching the show verify the exact order of the hosts?

That's exactly the sequence given in the book Total Television by Alex McNeil; I think, therefore, it must be right.
[/quote]
Either my Sarcasm Detector needs new batteries, or you need to reconsider the amount of confidence you place in McNeil's book.  He also writes of Card Sharks:  "The show surfaced again in 1986, with an added wrinkle:  contestants had to first predict how a group of one hundred persons had answered a question before they could tackle the cards."  Apparently McNeil thinks the original version consisted of a solid half-hour of people doing nothing but saying "higher" or "lower."  Gee, wouldn't that have been scintillating television?

RJSchex

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 11:10:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'145778\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 09:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'145704\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 08:18 AM\']

[/quote]
Either my Sarcasm Detector needs new batteries, or you need to reconsider the amount of confidence you place in McNeil's book.  He also writes of Card Sharks:  "The show surfaced again in 1986, with an added wrinkle:  contestants had to first predict how a group of one hundred persons had answered a question before they could tackle the cards."  Apparently McNeil thinks the original version consisted of a solid half-hour of people doing nothing but saying "higher" or "lower."  Gee, wouldn't that have been scintillating television?
[/quote]

Yes, even I have found mistakes in that same book.  For example:

Jackpot--says the show had only 15 contestants (forgot about the King/Queen of the Hill)

Shoot for the Stars--says the game is "played similarly to The $20,000 Pyramid" (What?  Other than BSP's trademark "all-blue" set, and the celebrity-contestant pairings, I see no other similarities.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Game Show Vault
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 04:56:16 AM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'145779\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 08:10 PM\']
Yes, even I have found mistakes in that same book.[/quote]
Is anybody else horribly confused right now?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
The Game Show Vault
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 07:15:27 AM »
Alex McNeil's book is great for shows that he personally gave a crap about. Game shows do not figure onto that list.

The much more accurate "Encyclopedia of Daytime Television" by Wesley Hyatt says March-Gautier-Kennedy-Waggoner. Then again, his bibliography includes both McNeil and the EoTVGS.
@lambertman

Scrabbleship

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007, 07:45:46 AM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'145779\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 11:10 PM\']
Yes, even I have found mistakes in that same book.  For example:

Jackpot--says the show had only 15 contestants (forgot about the King/Queen of the Hill)[/quote]

I haven't read the book in years, but have newer versions fixed the omission of the 1980s versions from the entry. The 1991 printing I used to own listed only the NBC version which I found to be annoying because it contradicted my memories of the 1980s versions.

Adding a few more to the list:
Card Sharks--the syndicated reruns of Perry's version are listed as a separate run.
Match Game--the scuttled 1985 revival is listed as actually having taken place.
Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour--the Match Game portion is listed as having had three contestents playing with the two winners facing off in the Hollywood Squares portion (though evidence shows the pilot had such a format or something).
Name That Tune--doesn't mention the 1984 revival

Some other shows were omitted completely from the list, for example I had never heard of Lingo or Catch Phrase (the former didn't air in my area, never watched the latter when it aired) until the advent of the internet.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 07:47:09 AM by Scrabbleship »

Jay Temple

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2007, 02:41:33 PM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'145779\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 10:10 PM\']Shoot for the Stars--says the game is "played similarly to The $20,000 Pyramid" (What?  Other than BSP's trademark "all-blue" set, and the celebrity-contestant pairings, I see no other similarities.)
[/quote]
On this one, I'll defend him somewhat. The end game was basically a long round of the main game from Pyramid. ISTR that the items to be described were all phrases, and I want to say two-word phrases, just like the Double Trouble category from Davidson's Pyramid.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
The Game Show Vault
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 10:27:18 PM »
Two updates coming very soon: page on Hold That Note and an obscure Art James gem called Temptation .
Although many will probably think "eh, big deal," we're pretty excited to have uncovered episode #11 from 12/18/67 of the latter this week. It had been hiding somewhere on a 16mm film all this time.
It'll be both featured on the websites and will ultimately be made available in the PoC store once it's back up and running.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:33:45 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Blanquepage

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 06:45:37 PM »
I've been working feverishly with a new store crew to get the Game Show Vault Store up and running.
I felt that it would be more appropriate to move the store over to Game Show Vault since, after all, the items we make available tend to come from the back corners of the vault. It'll open for business this weekend. It'll be headed by a fine chap named Memo.
No joke, that's his name.

The store is going to be run by 4 individuals, unlike 2 from the previous venture, each with his or her own job. We'll be starting with 2 new available volumes which I've already assembled: a killer volume called ABC Network Rarities and another called Triple Jeopardy!
I'm currently working on creating a nice menu for each of the DVDs.

The PoC will be updated something this weekend as well. Can't give an exact time since something always interferes.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:14:16 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Allstar87

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 10:24:07 PM »
One quick question, hope you don't mind answering it.

Will previously-offered volumes make a return? I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the four-decade collection.

Blanquepage

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 10:33:36 PM »
Will previously-offered volumes make a return? I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the four-decade collection.

Yes. The 4 Decade Collection from the old store will be available again starting Sunday.

--Jamie

Allstar87

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 11:14:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'147644\' date=\'Mar 7 2007, 10:33 PM\']
Yes. The 4 Decade Collection from the old store will be available again starting Sunday.
[/quote]

Muchas gracias. I'll be sure to pick it up this time. ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 11:14:48 PM by Allstar87 »

Don Howard

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 10:52:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'147637\' date=\'Mar 7 2007, 06:45 PM\']
We'll be starting with 2 new available volumes which I've already assembled: a killer volume called ABC Network Rarities [/quote]
I've already got a reservation in for that one.
I have long past forgotten what kind of a host Don Morrow was.