Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When is Spring Break in LA?  (Read 4150 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
When is Spring Break in LA?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 01:56:41 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'144051\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 05:00 AM\']
They did get in, but I don't recall the number. I know it was less than 170. Be aware that people hold spots for others. I remember 6 years ago, I was number 2 on line. I found out soon enough that number 1 was holding spots for 19 others. So I went from 2 to 20. Still not bad though.
[/quote]
Wow, if I were the Price folks, would I nip THAT in the bud in a hurry.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rebelwrest

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »
This whole conversation has made me nervous about this trip (hell the farthest west I have been is Columbus, OH or is it Huntington, WV?).  I am trying to figure out which is better.  

1.  Fly in, immediately get in line that night, see the show, stay in a hotel, and then fly out.  
2.  Fly in, stay in hotel, get in line next day, overnight in line, see show, fly out.  
3.  Fly in, overnight in line, see show, fly out after show.

Deciding that may be the easiest part of the trip planning.  The hard part is trying to get my parents to let me use their vehicle (or I  may just rent a car) because I live 150 miles from the nearest international airport.

START MISSION IMPOSSIBLE THEME
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

gaubster2

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 04:14:47 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'144083\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 12:17 PM\']
This whole conversation has made me nervous about this trip (hell the farthest west I have been is Columbus, OH or is it Huntington, WV?).  I am trying to figure out which is better.  

1.  Fly in, immediately get in line that night, see the show, stay in a hotel, and then fly out.  
2.  Fly in, stay in hotel, get in line next day, overnight in line, see show, fly out.  
3.  Fly in, overnight in line, see show, fly out after show.

Deciding that may be the easiest part of the trip planning.  The hard part is trying to get my parents to let me use their vehicle (or I  may just rent a car) because I live 150 miles from the nearest international airport.

START MISSION IMPOSSIBLE THEME
[/quote]

My plan was to fly into the LA area in the late afternoon and get in line immediately.  That saves the expense of a hotel.  Then, hopefully, see the show and then check into the hotel and fly out the next day  (or do other stuff in the area).

tvmitch

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »
Whatever you decide, as I was at the show once and almost didn't get in: pick a time that you think is completely unreasonable and ridiculous to be there, and then be in line 3 hours earlier than that. If you are making a trip out there just to see TPiR, you won't regret waiting in line for what might be a ridiculously long time.

You get a break after the numbers are distributed in the early morning where you can take your stuff back to the hotel and get a quick shower if you're close enough, grab food, etc.

There is nothing like the disappointment and fear of not getting in when you get there and see hundreds of people in front of you. I had to schmooze some folks in line to get tix to the second Monday taping, and even then, I may have had the worst seats in the house - couldn't see two of the three big doors.

Go ridiculously early, you won't regret it.
You should follow me on Twitter

rebelwrest

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 05:12:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Also by the looks of it Jeopardy may be taping the day after I attend TPIR, so I may stay around for another day, but it depends on if they have tickets. Hopefully, if any of you live in LA and would like to see TPIR, I got an extra ticket, and you can have that ticket if you are willing to keep me in company during the overnight.

I don't know if I should bring a sleeping bag or a folding chair (one of those four legged, padded, folding chair used for camping) for the night.

A LOT of planning will go into this trip to make it as quick and as cheap as possible.

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 06:57:21 PM »
Advice: You won't want to sit on chairs all night / you'll probably want to lie down as it gets late...
After last August, I got sleeping bags... better, but still not comfortable ...
NEXT TIME: Air Beds. Target or Walmart have them for $10-$15, $20 more for a rechargable pump.
Others had them in line!

If you arrive in the late afternoon on the day prior to the show, dont bother with a hotel.
Go straight in line.  Last summer, Chris told me 2AM would get me in front... Last week 12:20 got me #117. So GET THERE EARLY...9PM is no longer so CRAZY! ...6PM is no longer so crazy!! (We asked #1 in line what time she arrived and she told us 5PM.)
If you get there very early or are staying after... budget conscious TPIR regulars stay at the low priced Beverly Inn on Beverly Blvd around the corner from CBS's Fairfax entrance. I stayed in expensive Marina Del Ray last August and paid for nights that I was sleeping on the street at CBS. I met several TPIR audience members back then  who were staying at The Beverly Inn and they were pleased.  So last week we stayed there after PRICE.  $65-$70 per night (if you book via the internet) and we got  a comfortable room.....bed/clean bathroom, shower/TV/fridge...all we needed. Much less $$$ than the more famous hotel on Fairfax.

If you're lucky ...your TPIR experience will be enhanced  by Chuck Dumas... a CBS page and former TPIR contestant who does a great warmup BEFORE YOU GET IN! (This guy really loves the show and shows it!) He sometimes gets there as early as 6AM to give you your "Order Of Arrival" number...one of several numbers you will get during the morning.

Good Luck!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 08:31:34 PM by TheGameShowGuy »

cmjb13

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 07:34:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'144075\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 01:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'144051\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 05:00 AM\']
They did get in, but I don't recall the number. I know it was less than 170. Be aware that people hold spots for others. I remember 6 years ago, I was number 2 on line. I found out soon enough that number 1 was holding spots for 19 others. So I went from 2 to 20. Still not bad though.
[/quote]
Wow, if I were the Price folks, would I nip THAT in the bud in a hurry.
[/quote]
Well, the rest were crammed in an RV and other cars, so it wasn't like they weren't on the property.

But still...
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

rebelwrest

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 03:40:45 PM »
Well I just found a round trip plane ticket to LA for $200, so as soon as I confirm with the box office at CBS that I have tickets, I will set up my travel plans.

I may be a nervous nellie, but what is security like around the line at night.

cmjb13

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 05:22:04 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'144207\' date=\'Jan 22 2007, 03:40 PM\']
Well I just found a round trip plane ticket to LA for $200, so as soon as I confirm with the box office at CBS that I have tickets, I will set up my travel plans.

I may be a nervous nellie, but what is security like around the line at night.
[/quote]
When I waiting several years ago, it was non-existent. CBS security would show up shortly before they opened the gate.

Granted, that was several years ago.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 05:22:57 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 05:35:07 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'144213\' date=\'Jan 22 2007, 04:22 PM\']
When I waiting several years ago, it was non-existent. CBS security would show up shortly before they opened the gate.

Granted, that was several years ago.
[/quote]
Hasn't changed as of last summer.  Don't see why it'd be all that different now.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 07:38:55 PM »
I felt safe... except for the cars whizzing by on Fairfax. These are Price fans... (not a particularly rowdy crowd) and the crowd builds as it gets late. I guess its "safety in numbers".  CBS has a guard there at some point. He scans the line at 5 AM.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 08:30:03 PM by TheGameShowGuy »

rebelwrest

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 08:42:40 PM »
Bumping this thread because I will be attending the Price Is Right next Wednesday.  I would like to know around what time do you think someone can get in line and make it into that day's taping?  My flight arrives at LAX around 4:30 PM.  Hopefully, I will be able to get in line before 6PM.

Also, I am holding another ticket for that taping.  If anyone on this forum would like to spend the night with me they can have the ticket.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 09:30:43 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'146267\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 08:42 PM\']If anyone on this forum would like to spend the night with me they can have the ticket.[/quote]
Inadvertent perverse line of the year.

TheLastResort

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 10:20:33 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'146267\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 08:42 PM\']Also, I am holding another ticket for that taping.  If anyone on this forum would like to spend the night with me they can have the ticket.
[/quote]
Will you at least buy me dinner first??

Seriously, where did you score the $200 plane ticket, and how far are you flying?  I'm thinking about making the trip in early April, but I can't find anything below around $325.  I'm coming from Virginia.

vtown7

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 10:31:29 PM »
[quote name=\'TheGameShowGuy\' post=\'144235\' date=\'Jan 22 2007, 07:38 PM\']
I felt safe... except for the cars and paintballs whizzing by on Fairfax. These are Price fans... (not a particularly rowdy crowd) and the crowd builds as it gets late. I guess its "safety in numbers".  CBS has a guard there at some point. He scans the line at 5 AM.
[/quote]

There, fixed that for you.

/although that's mostly a GSC4 reference
//and for some reason I think the slashies are okay, once in a while

Ryan.