Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Radio game shows  (Read 1554 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Radio game shows
« on: February 18, 2007, 02:03:44 PM »
Over the past few weeks, there has been a lot of chatter about Ronnie Greenberg's game on Shokus Radio.  What other internet or terrestrial radio game shows are presently out there?  Three come to my mind--Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! and Whad'Ya Know? on NPR, and The Contest Show on WTAM 1100-AM here in Cleveland.

I've lost count on how many times I've won on The Contest Show--either 8 or 9 times.  Gus on this board won a few weeks back.  Coincidentally, both Gus and I won $50 in donuts (not Krispy Kremes), in addition to other stuff.  (Self-promotion mode:  Go here and listen to the Fit or Fat? segment to hear yours truly winning donuts and movie tickets.)

Outside of the occasional morning drive segments, is the radio game show a dying breed kept alive by a small handful of folks?

Matt Ottinger

Radio game shows
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'146229\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 02:03 PM\']Go here and listen to the Fit or Fat? segment to hear yours truly winning donuts and movie tickets.)[/quote]
I haven't checked out the link yet; I'm just amused that there's a game called "Fit or Fat" and the winner gets donuts.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Radio game shows
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 04:13:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'146236\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 12:43 PM\']
I haven't checked out the link yet; I'm just amused that there's a game called "Fit or Fat" and the winner gets donuts.
[/quote]
I lol'd, too. (I think that's part of the joke. I hope that's part of the joke.) :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Radio game shows
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'146229\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 01:03 PM\']
Whad'Ya Know? on NPR[/quote]

As a proud WYK? listener and public radio nerd, I can tell you that WYK? is NOT syndicated by NPR. It actually comes from Public Radio International.

Not as well-known as that or "Wait, Wait", however, is Says You!.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 04:25:39 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

TravisP

Radio game shows
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 04:51:29 PM »
For radio shows in the UK. The majority of them are on BBC Radio 4. We've got the panel show Just a Minute which has been on for centuries. For civillans we have Round Britain Quiz, Brain of Britain and Masterteam. While Radio 2 has a weekdaily call in pop music quiz called Popmaster, it's usually played about an hour into Ken Bruce's show.

Most of these shows you can now listen online via their archives.

Gus

Radio game shows
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 07:28:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'146237\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 04:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'146236\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 12:43 PM\']
[/quote]
I lol'd, too. (I think that's part of the joke. I hope that's part of the joke.) :)
[/quote]

Knowing that show, yeah, I think it was kind of a joke, although they didn't really play the connection up. When I won, I won the donuts and four tickets to the boat show, which sadly I wasn't able to use. The question I had to answer was, which famous game show host did they dedicate the show to at the beginning of the program? (They always "dedicate" it to some famous individual, and who they dedicate it to is always a question.) That week, they dedicated it to Identity host Penn Jilette.

/I still have $15 of the donut gift certs left.
//Enough for two more dozen.
///The people at school love me cause I get them free donuts :-P
////"You're a loser!"

TimK2003

Radio game shows
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 08:06:58 PM »
I mentioned this many months ago, and this may very well be the longest-running radio "game show", going back at least 20 years!

"Sports Or Consequences" is heard live daily from 4 to 4:30 (sometimes til 5PM) ET on 700-WLW AM and also on XM Satellite Channel #173, hosted by Gary Burbank.

You can also hear the podcast via This Link.  Just pick any of the Hour Two Burbank Shows listed with "SOC" somewhere in the description.

Some shows are better than others, as there are some interesting "rules" that must be followed, else you pay the consequences.  It may take a few shows to find out what those rules are, but definitely entertaining to listen to.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Radio game shows
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 08:44:55 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'146266\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 07:06 PM\']
"Sports Or Consequences" is heard live daily from 4 to 4:30 (sometimes til 5PM) ET on 700-WLW AM and also on XM Satellite Channel #173, hosted by Gary Burbank.
[/quote]
Is Burbank still doing the "Earl Pitts, American" schtick?

/Used to catch him quite a bit while I was going to school at Indiana (you know, the basketball team that can't win anymore).  Back then, WLW's format even allowed him to play a couple of toonages.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TimK2003

Radio game shows
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 09:29:29 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'146268\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 09:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'146266\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 07:06 PM\']
[/quote]
Is Burbank still doing the "Earl Pitts, American" schtick?

[/quote]

Earl Pitts is alive & well...Pittsoff!!

Actually, my favorite Burbank schtick is right after Sports or Consequences on Fridays --

Bluesbreak 201, with your host Howlin' Blind Muddy Slim (your 60-minute, jelly-belly, toe jam man!).