Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best/Worst Warmups You've Ever Seen  (Read 7683 times)

Kevin Prather

Best/Worst Warmups You've Ever Seen
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 01:20:37 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'144032\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 09:51 PM\']
You confuse me, Kev. Why wouldn't he?
[/quote]
Point taken. I was just thinking about the design of the set, and wondering how they'd manage it. Plus for most of the run, Reege would have the hot seat right in the way, wouldn't he?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 01:28:41 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'144038\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 10:20 PM\']
Plus for most of the run, Reege would have the hot seat right in the way, wouldn't he?
[/quote]
No, because for most of the run, they would remove the center island from the stage during FF, for exactly that reason.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 01:28:51 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 01:35:12 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'144041\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 10:28 PM\']
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'144038\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 10:20 PM\']
Plus for most of the run, Reege would have the hot seat right in the way, wouldn't he?
[/quote]
No, because for most of the run, they would remove the center island from the stage during FF, for exactly that reason.
[/quote]
IIRC, they started leaving the hot seat there for FF as early as January 2000. It certainly wasn't much later than that.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 02:10:24 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'144042\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 10:35 PM\']
IIRC, they started leaving the hot seat there for FF as early as January 2000. It certainly wasn't much later than that.
[/quote]
So they figure out how to put it off to one side, or maybe they drag it out and put it right in front. But I just don't see Reege working that without a net.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 02:23:45 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'144044\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 11:10 PM\']
So they figure out how to put it off to one side, or maybe they drag it out and put it right in front. But I just don't see Reege working that without a net.
[/quote]
Agreed. Again, just something I found interesting.

cmjb13

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 08:18:06 AM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'144006\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 09:07 PM\']
However, by far, the worst one had to be Chunky B, or whatever it is he's called. His threats to do lap dances have scarred me for life... yea.
[/quote]
Chunky D.

I saw a taping of the Late Late show a few months ago and he was doing warm-up there as well.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tpirfan28

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 11:28:33 AM »
I'm sticking this link here because it fits with this topic better than the YouTube thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIDA48rTHC8...ted&search=

The warm-up guy for Chain Reaction...from GSN themselves.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

davidhammett

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 01:05:30 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'144018\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 10:35 PM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'144000\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 05:31 PM\']
Like a previous poster said, whoever did warm up for Whoopi's Squares in 2000 *was* really, really bad!
I believe his name was Bob Sampson. He also did warmup (and may still do for all I know) for the Tonight show. [/quote]
That's Bob Perlow
[/quote]

Yes... Bob Perlow.  I know for a fact that there are some who can't seem to get enough of his kind of humor, but don't count me in that batch.  I ended up on the front row once and became one of his random targets; it was all I could do not to just slap the guy and/or leave.  Eventually he was replaced with Tom Riles, a PA who was given a shot at warm-up and did much better IMHO (he has since done Ryan Seacrest's warm-up on his ill-fated show, and is now doing it for Ellen's show).

My quick take on best and worst... The best was Johnny Olson, hands down (I saw him do one for Tom Kennedy's TPIR back in '85, a couple of months before he passed on).  The worst (that I can remember) was probably Steve Saunders at Pyramid... as much as I like the game, the tapings were interminable because of him.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 01:35:46 PM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'144072\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 01:05 PM\']The worst (that I can remember) was probably Steve Saunders at Pyramid... as much as I like the game, the tapings were interminable because of him.[/quote]
Hey, you took my answer!

Though David saw Pyramid plenty of times, he and I attended a taping together and were both stunned at Saunders' almost total lack of effort.  He didn't really try to be funny, and he didn't really know anything about the game, so he couldn't answer questions.  A warm-up kinda needs to do one or the other.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rialtus

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'144074\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 01:35 PM\'][quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'144072\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 01:05 PM\']The worst (that I can remember) was probably Steve Saunders at Pyramid... as much as I like the game, the tapings were interminable because of him.[/quote]Though David saw Pyramid plenty of times, he and I attended a taping together and were both stunned at Saunders' almost total lack of effort.  He didn't really try to be funny, and he didn't really know anything about the game, so he couldn't answer questions.  A warm-up kinda needs to do one or the other.[/quote]The one time I went to Pyramid, he spent the whole time sucking up to Donny's family friends who were in the audience. The rest of us -- not so much attention at all. Thank goodness I was on a buzz from seeing Dick Clark and Betty White play Pyramid to care that much.

mmb5

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
This past summer I had the "pleasure" of seeing a taping session of Starface.  The warm up guy was terrible, the jokes fell flat and his shtick pretty much was throwing candy minatures to the audience.  I didn't laugh once.

And now, the rest of...................the story.

He starts getting into this riff on he could not be on a game show.  He would get nervous, he wouldn't know the answers, etc.  He then points to the person next to me and says "Have you ever been on a game show?"

The person sitting next to me was Kevin Olmstead.

So, at least, I finally did laugh.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

tvrandywest

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 05:22:15 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'144080\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 11:50 AM\']
This past summer I had the "pleasure" of seeing a taping session of Starface.  The warm up guy was terrible...[/quote]
I wish I could help by providing his name. When I did warm-up for the first couple of weeks of episodes of "Starface", he was working craft services. He was a friend of the production company and it's understandable that he wasn't great as this was the first warm-up gig.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 05:23:43 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Neumms

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 05:38:12 PM »
Thanks to Matt for the introduction to Mark Evanier's site. So many great thoughts on great topics. From Mark, on injuries to the cast during "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World": "Phil Silvers pulled a groin muscle (one of his own)."

joshg

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 06:13:51 PM »
[quote name=\'rialtus\' post=\'144076\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 11:02 AM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'144074\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 01:35 PM\'][quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'144072\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 01:05 PM\']The worst (that I can remember) was probably Steve Saunders at Pyramid... as much as I like the game, the tapings were interminable because of him.[/quote]Though David saw Pyramid plenty of times, he and I attended a taping together and were both stunned at Saunders' almost total lack of effort.  He didn't really try to be funny, and he didn't really know anything about the game, so he couldn't answer questions.  A warm-up kinda needs to do one or the other.[/quote]The one time I went to Pyramid, he spent the whole time sucking up to Donny's family friends who were in the audience. The rest of us -- not so much attention at all. Thank goodness I was on a buzz from seeing Dick Clark and Betty White play Pyramid to care that much.
[/quote]

Steve was yet one more reason why that show did not work. Inexplicably, I also attended a taping and was so disgusted at his lack of attention to most of the audience as well as his inability to quiet a rowdy school group during the taping, I left early. That's probably when I stopped watching the show, knowing that ship had sailed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:06:38 PM by matchgame »
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Don Howard

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'144072\' date=\'Jan 21 2007, 01:05 PM\']
[The worst (that I can remember) was probably Steve Saunders at Pyramid[/quote]
John Cramer couldn't be bothered to do the warm-up himself?