Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 30 Rock  (Read 2090 times)

Clay Zambo

30 Rock
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »
I'm not a big fan of NBC's 30 Rock, but I caught it last night and enjoyed the satire of NBC's game-show development process.  Looks like somebody in Fey's stable has been reading here--or, at least, paying attention to the rushed-onto-airness of NBC's latest game shows.
czambo@mac.com

uncamark

30 Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'143846\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 11:11 AM\']
I'm not a big fan of NBC's 30 Rock, but I caught it last night and enjoyed the satire of NBC's game-show development process.  Looks like somebody in Fey's stable has been reading here--or, at least, paying attention to the rushed-onto-airness of NBC's latest game shows.
[/quote]

"You struck gold on 'Gold Case!'"

In case you haven't gotten around to nbc.com yet, the storyline is that in the course of Alec Baldwin's NBC exec Jack and NBC page Kenneth doing a trading-places-day, Kenneth comes up with an idea for a game show called "Gold Case"--"a cross between 'Deal or No Deal' and 'Millionaire'--ten lovely models hold cases, one of them with a million dollars in gold!"  The network buys it...

And then in the kicker scene of the episode, we see the payoff--the actual taping, with your host John McEnroe.  As the camera pans the models, we see one hunched over and looking like she's about to break her back--yes, they put the actual gold in the case.  Of course every contestant picks the right case and McEnroe shouts "You struck gold on 'Gold Case!'"  As Jack sees the budget go into the toilet, he shuts down production immediately and McEnroe goes into one of his infamous tantrums.  Cut to Broadway Video/Little Stranger/NBCU logos and V/O saying "'ER' starts NOW!"

A great payoff to a very good episode--yeah, I'm a fan of the show.

Don Howard

30 Rock
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 01:33:35 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'143849\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 12:24 PM\']
A great payoff to a very good episode--yeah, I'm a fan of the show.
[/quote]
Me, too. Even before this particular episode.
It's a sitcom that's funny.
And in the 21st century, those are tough to come by.

weaklink75

30 Rock
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
and it was a legit joke ($1million in gold at $635.40 an oz= approx 1574 oz= a little more than 98 pounds= Yes, I'm bored at work)...Another GS related line was the ep when Jack thinks Tina Fey's character Liz is a lesbian, so he sets her up with a blind date with a woman...afterwards ,the date is angry and one of the lines Liz says is "Is this because I wanted you and I to go on Amazing Race? Because I was only 80% joking about that..."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:56:00 PM by weaklink75 »

itiparanoid13

30 Rock
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »
IMO, 30Rock is the single best sitcom to come in AGES.  It really reminds of NewsRadio a lot.  I like The Office, but the cartoonish behavior on 30Rock just makes me laugh much more.  Tina Fey is truly one of our time's greatest comedy writers.  I just hope NBC will renew the show with it's so/so ratings.  I think it needs time to grow, like The Office did.

And glad to see Scrubs is still on.  That musical episode was priceless.

alfonzos

30 Rock
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 03:07:39 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'143863\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 01:55 PM\']
... it was a legit joke ($1million in gold at $635.40 an oz= approx 1574 oz= a little more than 98 pounds= Yes, I'm bored at work).
[/quote]

I guessed that the heavy case would be the punch line but it was still fun when they acted out the scene. No one has yet to mention that the host of Gold Case was John McEnroe. A man whose talk show received a zero rating! Gee, wasn't Rolf Benirschke available?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

tpirfan28

30 Rock
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 03:19:11 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'143871\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 03:07 PM\']
I guessed that the heavy case would be the punch line but it was still fun when they acted out the scene. No one has yet to mention that the host of Gold Case was John McEnroe. A man whose talk show received a zero rating! Gee, wasn't Rolf Benirschke available?
[/quote]

[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'143849\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 12:24 PM\']
....with your host John McEnroe....
[/quote]
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Clay Zambo

30 Rock
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 03:26:21 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'143871\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 03:07 PM\']
No one has yet to mention that the host of Gold Case was John McEnroe. A man whose talk show received a zero rating! Gee, wasn't Rolf Benirschke available?
[/quote]

But he's got Serious Prime Time Game Show Cred.  Rolf did little a daytime thing.  Besides, Johnny Mac is better known for getting pissy in public, which was a plot point here.
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
30 Rock
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 03:34:19 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'143871\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 12:07 PM\']
No one has yet to mention that the host of Gold Case was John McEnroe. A man whose talk show received a zero rating!
[/quote]
Do you even read the other posts?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe