Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows on VHS to DVD  (Read 22933 times)

Jimmy Owen

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2007, 12:21:31 PM »
I don't even know where they sell Taiyo Yuden in my area.  We have Walgreens but even their cheap stuff is expensive.  There's no need to buy Dollar Tree tapes because the good brands run about a dollar each anyway.

I think you had your mind made up before you asked about storage, but you could save even more space just by leaving them on the spindle.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvmitch

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'145613\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 12:21 PM\']
I don't even know where they sell Taiyo Yuden in my area.  We have Walgreens but even their cheap stuff is expensive.  There's no need to buy Dollar Tree tapes because the good brands run about a dollar each anyway.

I think you had your mind made up before you asked about storage, but you could save even more space just by leaving them on the spindle.
[/quote]
I didn't have my mind made up, no...this was meant as an ongoing discussion. I'm just stating the reason why some of the ideas posed won't work for me...that doesn't mean those ideas aren't great for someone else.

There are several companies online that sell TY media. Sometimes what you buy in the store - TDK, Fuji media, etc. is made by TY.

For me, leaving them on the spindle is a dangerous solution - every time I want to access a disc, I would have to lift off 47 others, and then set them down somewhere, and so on.For temporary storage, I do use spindles, but for me, that's not a long term thing.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2007, 12:53:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'145607\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 08:58 AM\']
but I've heard too many stories about DVDs getting scratched, stepped on, coating coming off, being playable on only one machine, etc.
[/quote]
But all of that (save for the "playable on only one machine" issue, and I think we're at the point with the format now that that is a nonissue anymore) is a potential issue with a videotape, too. Plus, you can add in all of the mechanical problems that can befall a videotape. Scratched and stepped on? Handle them properly, and don't leave them on the floor. How hard is that?
Frugality dictates buying the cheapest blanks, but will they last?
Okay, well, if you're buying crap media, then that's your funeral. Mitch is right on the money. I keep my eye on the Best Buy ads....right now they have a cakebox of Fuji's for $12.99, and I know when you catch big sales you can get 'em around $10. You don't need something that advertises itself as "archival quality" or some such at a big premium, but if you buy a brand name (the current box I'm on is Verbaitms, I believe, and I've used Imation (I LOVE Imation - best bargain in the industry, and they're quality) and TDK with no problems at all. Quality has gotten way better, too...the days of saying "well, if you have a 10% coaster rate, you're doing pretty well" are long over. I can't tell you the last time I had a CD or DVD coaster on me. If I chuck one, it's because I didn't like what I did, or I finish the burn and then discover an error I missed in a menu or in the directory structure or a filename or whatever, or something.

But, yeah, if you're buying that no-name spool of 100 they always have in the bins up in front at CompUSA, then you're taking your life in your hands.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:59:28 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'145608\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 09:02 AM\']
It's likely my fault, sure, but I want to have as much confidence in myself and my own abilities in making discs before I go ahead and toss my tapes.
[/quote]
Throw it in your PS2 or Xbox. If it plays, you're doing it right. It's just not rocket science, especially with all of these recorders out there that do the heavy lifting for you these days.

TimK2003

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'145619\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 01:53 PM\']
Plus, you can add in all of the mechanical problems that can befall a videotape. Scratched and stepped on? Handle them properly, and don't leave them on the floor. How hard is that?
[/quote]

At least with video and audio tape, if the tape breaks and you are somewhat good with tools, you can still splice it back together with scotch tape and carefully rethread the cassette back up and yet still be able to watch it.

With a CD or DVD, once it crosses into coaster-land, you lose it all.

Bottom line is if you plan to burn your own CD's or DVD's with media that is hard to come by (i.e. old TV shows or rare rare albums) or cannot be replaced cheaply (i.e. cannot get a copy at Best Buy or a Library), then either try to keep an old school copy of it, or dub 2 copies and store the duplicates away -- just in case.

clemon79

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2007, 03:22:20 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'145627\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 10:57 AM\']
At least with video and audio tape, if the tape breaks and you are somewhat good with tools, you can still splice it back together with scotch tape and carefully rethread the cassette back up and yet still be able to watch it.
[/quote]
Scotch tape? I feel for your video heads.
Bottom line is if you plan to burn your own CD's or DVD's with media that is hard to come by (i.e. old TV shows or rare rare albums) or cannot be replaced cheaply (i.e. cannot get a copy at Best Buy or a Library), then either try to keep an old school copy of it, or dub 2 copies and store the duplicates away -- just in case.
Or: take care of it, if it's really so valuable to you that you feel you need an archive copy "just in case." In case of what? Global war? Famine? Come ON.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:22:49 PM by clemon79 »

MrBuddwing

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'145635\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 03:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'145627\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 10:57 AM\']
[/quote]
Scotch tape? I feel for your video heads.
Or: take care of it, if it's really so valuable to you that you feel you need an archive copy "just in case." In case of what? Global war? Famine? Come ON.
[/quote]

TimK2003 does make a valid point: A partially damaged analog tape is at least somewhat salvageable. I'm not so sure about a partially damaged DVD or CD. ("Coaster." I like that. Going to have to remember that, which at my age is no small feat.)

As for taking real good care of a single valued copy - I think that's what used to be called "putting all your eggs in one basket." (As Mark Twain said, "Put all your eggs in one basket - AND WATCH THAT BASKET.")

It brings to mind the first two Super Bowls. As I'm sure most of us already know, neither NBC or CBS could be bothered to save their tapes of the first AFL-NFL World Championship Game. But I was surprised to hear that NBC did save its tape of Super Bowl II. Word has it that a few years later, somebody went to NBC's climate-controlled vault and pulled out the tape, whereupon all of the oxide flaked off the base.  The tape was useless.

I'm sure things have improved since then, but if you're going to go the two-copy preservation route, may I make this suggestion: Burn one copy on one brand of DVD, burn the other on a different brand, or at least a different batch, just in case of a defective run of DVDs. And yes, store the duplicate in a cool, dry, dark place.

clemon79

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2007, 04:24:09 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'145639\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 12:34 PM\']
As for taking real good care of a single valued copy - I think that's what used to be called "putting all your eggs in one basket." (As Mark Twain said, "Put all your eggs in one basket - AND WATCH THAT BASKET.")
[/quote]
Point. But don't fry one disk and then store the tape away, fry two discs and put the OTHER DISC away. (Essentially, what you suggested, although I still feel that if you buy brand-name media, you don't have to worry about burning to different brands intentionally.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:57:20 PM by clemon79 »

mmb5

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2007, 05:35:02 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'145639\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 03:34 PM\']
It brings to mind the first two Super Bowls. As I'm sure most of us already know, neither NBC or CBS could be bothered to save their tapes of the first AFL-NFL World Championship Game. But I was surprised to hear that NBC did save its tape of Super Bowl II. Word has it that a few years later, somebody went to NBC's climate-controlled vault and pulled out the tape, whereupon all of the oxide flaked off the base.  The tape was useless.
[/quote]
Super Bowl III was also a missing tape for a long time.  ASCAP happened to have a copy and gave it to the NFL.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2007, 06:51:36 PM »
I use both jewel cases and DVD sleeves, though I find the 100 pack of Memorex DVD sleeves to be more economically efficient. I keep my DVDs in 2 shallow boxes next to my desk for easy access.
For any DVDs with rare stuff, I clone two extra copies, sleeve 'em, and store them on a mini bookshelf in my closet. For now, the transferred tapes are boxed and locked away in our balcony's little storage room.

--Jamie

Matt Ottinger

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
I make at least two copies of anything I'm truly interested in saving.  Also, my feeling is that my game show videos are every bit as important as the movies and TV shows I purchased on DVD, so I take great pride in using full-size cases and making reasonably attractive cover art for my game show DVD's (as some of you know).

Granted, the serious part of my collection numbers a few dozen rather than a few thousand, but I think I'd feel the same way regardless.  Also, the phrase "Frugality dictates buying the cheapest blanks" just makes me cringe.  Really, really good Taiyo Yuden discs don't cost more than forty cents apiece and can be ordered online from any number of dealers.  Trust me, they're worth it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »
Being a graphic designer (and a Photoshop nerd), I create sleeves for my DVDs and store them in "Slim" DVD cases (about 1/2 the size of a normal DVD case, same as what some professional DVD box sets use). As for the discs, I use Sony DVD-Rs. Nowadays, the discs are from Taiyo Yuden or Sony's in-house developer, both very reliable media sources.*

*Source: Blank Media Quality Guide and FAQ
*Indecipherable screaming*

Jimmy Owen

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2007, 12:31:55 AM »
I didn't mean to make Matt cringe, but it is human nature to look for a bargain.  If you're gonna buy TY, why put them in paper sleeves?  Go for the best in quality and storage.

clemon79

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2007, 12:58:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'145690\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 09:31 PM\']
I didn't mean to make Matt cringe, but it is human nature to look for a bargain.  If you're gonna buy TY, why put them in paper sleeves?  Go for the best in quality and storage.
[/quote]
Because it's logical to do it that way to conserve space, and the space you get back is worth the almost infinitesimal risk to the media. (And by "infinitesimal" I mean "nonexistent.")

Jimmy Owen

Game Shows on VHS to DVD
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2007, 01:25:48 AM »
Is it just theft prevention that determined that the standard DVD case is bigger than it has to be?  Why they didn't they just go for the cardboard sleeve with paper sleeve like the old vinyl albums had?  I also think that if you have kids or pets or a curious brother-in-law (or are thinking about having them) you might consider a little extra protection of your stuff.