Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New game shows coming...?  (Read 8922 times)

Tim L

New game shows coming...?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2006, 11:56:28 PM »
My Network in Cleveland helped to ruin a great Independent station in WUAB-43..Now aside from WOIO-19 produced 10:00 news and a few Cavaliers games (simulcast on Fox Sports Ohio), the station seems like its nothing but hours of informercials outside of Ny Network programming.   Theyll lose the Cavs games after next season..This from what had been one of the leading independent stations in the USA.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 11:57:05 PM by Tim L »

Terry K

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2006, 12:31:54 AM »
In some markets (I siad this in another post) like KC, MNTV gets UNDER 1 share.  They're getting whipped with reruns of Mama's Family and Diagnosis Murder on PAX/i!!!!!!!!!!

This means Rupert and Co have to do something fast or some of those indies will bolt for infomercials or reruns, anything that gets a rating.

TimK2003

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 10:04:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'140864\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 12:56 AM\']
My Network in Cleveland helped to ruin a great Independent station in WUAB-43..Now aside from WOIO-19 produced 10:00 news and a few Cavaliers games (simulcast on Fox Sports Ohio), the station seems like its nothing but hours of informercials outside of Ny Network programming.   Theyll lose the Cavs games after next season..This from what had been one of the leading independent stations in the USA.
[/quote]

In WUAB's better era beginning in the mid-60s, it was owned/affiliated with 2 strong companies -- Gaylord Broadcasting (which later went on to create The Nashville Network) and United Artists (the UA in WUAB), which during the early 70s unleashed its library onto Channel 43 (Gilligan's Island, Patty Duke Show, Johnny Socko & Ultraman,...).  

In the mid 80's, Stephen J Cannell bought the station (Cannell Communications), and filled many of the timeslots with reruns of his programming (Magnum PI, Hardcastle & McCormick,...)  

Once Cannell sold to their current owner, Alabama-based Raycom (no relation to Ray Combs), that was the end.  

Pretty much what I'm alluding to is that if a company who buys a station/network has prior involvement in  TV shows, they should be using those shows to create a good part of their schedule if they need some decent programming.

What Murdoch needs to do is to open up his 20th Century Fox/FOX archives and make them more readily available or available at a discount  to his MyNetwork affiliates, even if they go all the way back to reruns of Dobie Gillis or airing everything that FX currently airs -- at least he'd be getting a little more money by getting advertisers during those FOX-owned shows.

Terry K

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'140877\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 11:04 AM\']

What Murdoch needs to do is to open up his 20th Century Fox/FOX archives and make them more readily available or available at a discount  to his MyNetwork affiliates, even if they go all the way back to reruns of Dobie Gillis or airing everything that FX currently airs -- at least he'd be getting a little more money by getting advertisers during those FOX-owned shows.
[/quote]

This was tried with fX.  Murdoch sold reruns of MASH to fX for considerably less than he could have gotten on the open market, and Alan Alda among others sued.  (NYPD Blue and X-Files this also happened with) As a result, FOX agreed to offer those reruns out to the open market and hence that's why you see COPS on 5 or 6 cable channels, as well as MASH making the rounds of Hallmark and TV Land.  

Viacom has this problem as well with TV Land.  All the A-list reruns were Viacom product and as a result, TVL ran more or less Viacom product for a long time.

rialtus

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006, 08:46:46 PM »
[quote name=\'rialtus\' post=\'140701\' date=\'Dec 15 2006, 10:54 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'140677\' date=\'Dec 15 2006, 06:20 PM\']"My Games Fever" has been on the air for the past week on KCOP, My TV 13, Los Angeles.[/quote]Wow. Not that I regularly regularly watch the channel (sorry Chris), but I had no idea. I just hit it for the TiVo -- Monday at 1 pm.[/quote]I'm five minutes in to watching this, and I can feel my brain cells committing suicide already.

/Daisy, Daisy...

uncamark

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2006, 12:41:53 PM »
[quote name=\'rialtus\' post=\'140932\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 07:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'rialtus\' post=\'140701\' date=\'Dec 15 2006, 10:54 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'140677\' date=\'Dec 15 2006, 06:20 PM\']"My Games Fever" has been on the air for the past week on KCOP, My TV 13, Los Angeles.[/quote]Wow. Not that I regularly regularly watch the channel (sorry Chris), but I had no idea. I just hit it for the TiVo -- Monday at 1 pm.[/quote]I'm five minutes in to watching this, and I can feel my brain cells committing suicide already.

/Daisy, Daisy...
[/quote]

Haven't seen it yet (don't consider it DVR fodder) but if it is like "PlayMania" and that TBS abortion (and I'm sure it is), if Roger Ailes tries to put it in prime time, I hope that Murdoch beats the crap out of him.  I don't care if Fox News Channel is so profitable.

If you're going to put call-in-and-lose shows on the air (and we can even debate that), at least put them in low-visibility time periods.  To put them in prime time is stupid, especially on a distinguished station like WWOR (yes, even Joe Franklin is distinguished).  If Ailes tries to pull this, I would hope that he would get the treatment that Mike Darnell should've gotten for that O.J. show.

toddyo

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2006, 01:07:01 PM »
It would be like the Ohio Lottery's gameshow, where they have now started JOINING the two games IN PROGRESS.  Two rounds with a bonus round and they JIP (for at least the three last shows). This last episode, they started the FIRST game in progress. Pathetic!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2006, 03:23:21 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'141008\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 01:07 PM\']
It would be like the Ohio Lottery's gameshow. . . Pathetic!
[/quote]

Behold the glory of paraphrasing.  :)
This signature is currently under construction.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 03:00:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'141021\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 03:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'141008\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 01:07 PM\']
It would be like the Ohio Lottery's gameshows. . . Pathetic!
[/quote]

Behold the glory of paraphrasing.  :)
[/quote]

There, fixed that for ya. :-)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:01:37 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Terry K

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 02:27:31 AM »
And now WGN Superstaion has a direct ripoff of Playmania on the air with much lower production values.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2006, 02:35:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'141145\' date=\'Dec 20 2006, 11:27 PM\']
And now WGN Superstaion has a direct ripoff of Playmania on the air with much lower production values.
[/quote]
Safe to say it's the same one they were doing on TNT, yes?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2006, 02:57:00 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'141147\' date=\'Dec 21 2006, 02:35 AM\']
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'141145\' date=\'Dec 20 2006, 11:27 PM\']
[/quote]
Safe to say it's the same one they were doing on TNT, yes?
[/quote]
Naw, this is a third one...Terry's right in his assessment tho. It made the one from TBS (Midnight Money Madness or something like that) look like Jeopardy, in terms of easiness and execution.

Besides, a show with a chroma-key set immediately screams cheap IMO. It wouldn't be so bad for a local show, but for it to be a national show that airs for several hours, it just looks tacky.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Terry K

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2006, 09:09:07 AM »
They list that POS as being on both CW11 (WPIX) and Superstation WGN..

http://www.playtowin.tv/ (which right now comes up to a blank screen)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:12:44 AM by Terry K »

aaron sica

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2006, 10:52:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'141153\' date=\'Dec 21 2006, 09:09 AM\']
They list that POS as being on both CW11 (WPIX) and Superstation WGN..

http://www.playtowin.tv/ (which right now comes up to a blank screen)
[/quote]

I wondered if the shows were regional; nope. Same show playing on both stations, and as said before, looks hella cheap and like a red-headed stepchild of PlayMania.

LetsGoMets2003

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2006, 01:06:54 PM »
Somebody should've spell checked the FAQ page, because I've never heard of a state called "New Yersey".

James