Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs. 100  (Read 26178 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
1 vs. 100
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2006, 02:53:17 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'134539\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 07:33 PM\']2. How is this different from The Better Sex end game besides having a bloated prize structure?[/quote]On The Better Sex, the winning team could actively participate in the demise of the audience mob. From what I've heard, the player has minimal control over their fate, other than giving right answers.
Travis L. Eberle

NickS

1 vs. 100
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2006, 10:05:39 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' post=\'134549\' date=\'Oct 15 2006, 12:55 AM\']
I could see this one lasting a bit.  "Deal's" numbers aren't quite as good as they were last season, but the show's still winning its slot.  "1 vs 100" is an excellent  counterbalance to it, and it's a reason to stay home and watch TV with the family on a Friday night.
[/quote]

I agree and disagree there on the ratings; Deal is still doing pretty darn good on Monday nights, and I'd bet if they do a two-hour special the ratings usually climb.

The problem here, though, is the over-saturation of Deal.  If I were NBC, how about putting the Black Donnellys on at 9/8c on Thursday and take out Deal from there?  That way, you've lessened the hurt there and you keep ER rolling at 10/9c.

It might not do as well on Tuesday or Wednesday, but I'd put a second IvsC on Wednesday night if the ratings still sag there with 30 Rock and 20 Good Years.

Matt Ottinger

1 vs. 100
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2006, 10:12:36 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'134539\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 10:33 PM\']2. How is this different from The Better Sex end game besides having a bloated prize structure?[/quote]
The key difference -- such as it is -- is that the single player has to get each question right to stay in the game as well.  Also, as Travis said, the player really can't influence how the mob responds to a question.  On The Better Sex, there was always the possibility of the single player coming up with a really, really good bluff answer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GS Warehouse

1 vs. 100
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2006, 11:31:59 AM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'134556\' date=\'Oct 15 2006, 10:05 AM\']
The problem here, though, is the over-saturation of Deal.  If I were NBC, how about putting the Black Donnellys on at 9/8c on Thursday and take out Deal from there?  That way, you've lessened the hurt there and you keep ER rolling at 10/9c.[/quote]
The whole point of The Black Donnellys taking ER's place is to eliminate reruns of the latter altogether, which perform very poorly in the ratings.

Ian Wallis

1 vs. 100
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2006, 03:58:29 PM »
For the record, I really liked the show - which proves that either I've been watching too much Deal or No Deal, and seeing contestants just handed money; or that we've had so few good games come along in the last few years.  I could get into this; but I can't believe how big that set looks.  It must be twice the size of Winning Lines.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
1 vs. 100
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2006, 04:24:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'134574\' date=\'Oct 15 2006, 12:58 PM\']
I could get into this; but I can't believe how big that set looks.  It must be twice the size of Winning Lines.
[/quote]
Sarcasm, right? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

1 vs. 100
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2006, 04:58:26 PM »
I'd say closer to 2.040816 times as big. :)

DrJWJustice

1 vs. 100
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2006, 07:10:01 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'134556\' date=\'Oct 15 2006, 09:05 AM\']

I agree and disagree there on the ratings; Deal is still doing pretty darn good on Monday nights, and I'd bet if they do a two-hour special the ratings usually climb.

The problem here, though, is the over-saturation of Deal.  If I were NBC, how about putting the Black Donnellys on at 9/8c on Thursday and take out Deal from there?  That way, you've lessened the hurt there and you keep ER rolling at 10/9c.

It might not do as well on Tuesday or Wednesday, but I'd put a second IvsC on Wednesday night if the ratings still sag there with 30 Rock and 20 Good Years.
[/quote]

Yes, it is doing very well on Mondays, but look at other days of the week.  Last season, if it aired on a regularly scheduled night, it invariably won its slot.  Every now and then it would take second place.  This season, it's coming in a distant third on certain nights, Thursdays in particular (and the days of 'Must See Thursday' are well in the history books).  Overall, I'd say it's still doing alright, but it is not doing as well as it did in the past.  I think we might squeeze a third season out of it, but I won't hold my breath past that.  Then again, I suppose that could go for any show.  I dunno -- I don't work in the industry.

Ian Wallis

1 vs. 100
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2006, 09:01:51 AM »
I'd say closer to 2.040816 times as big. :)

Hello, down there.....
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Neumms

1 vs. 100
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2006, 11:25:17 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'134505\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 02:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'134503\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 11:46 AM\']
I disliked this alot.  The problem with these games is it takes so much investment to get to a portion of the game that is mildly exciting and then someone either loses or bails out and then we have to START ALL OVER AGAIN!  Boring in my opinion.
[/quote]
Doesn't Millionaire have sort of the same problem?
[/quote]

The thing about Millionaire is that when it started over, it started with the Fastest Finger question, which was a fun part of the show. I really miss that. On DoND and "1 vs. 100" there's no excitement when the new contestant arrives, especially when you discover that the new contestant was just as dim and attention-starved as the last.

cweaver

1 vs. 100
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2006, 11:51:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'134640\' date=\'Oct 16 2006, 10:25 AM\']
The thing about Millionaire is that when it started over, it started with the Fastest Finger question, which was a fun part of the show. I really miss that. On DoND and "1 vs. 100" there's no excitement when the new contestant arrives, especially when you discover that the new contestant was just as dim and attention-starved as the last.
[/quote]

Contestant #2 didnt' strike me as being that dim.  After all she still had both her "helps."  Borderline annoying maybe but hardly dim.

For that matter the bouncer wasn't that much of a dimbulb either.  I've seen far worse, like those two poor bozos on Lingo this weekend who finished the show with zero and had Shandi actually hand them a plate of two doughnuts, symbolically.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
1 vs. 100
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2006, 12:27:58 PM »
It was pretty okay.  I'm thinking that the questions were slightly easier because it was opening night and that the query fare will be a bit more challenging the next time out.  I do think the smarmy answers adds a bit more complexity to the questions, since they aren't necessarily a knee-jerk response.  The helps were a little complicated, but I guess we can't all be the first to think of lifelines.

I think the two highlights were seeing DoND's Megan ride out the first game and Bob's Mandelism ("Let me walk around you in a circle")

It's a decent B-range show for me and I wouldn't mind it living on.
This signature is currently under construction.

uncamark

1 vs. 100
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2006, 12:39:24 PM »
NBC said Friday that "ER" is not going to take a break mid-season, thanks to its ratings rebound.

Meanwhile, as long as the "Grey's"/"CSI" dogfight continues Thursdays at 9, if I were doing a scripted drama on NBC I'd prefer to stay out of it and let Howie take the blows.

As for "1 vs. 100," I actually liked what I saw, for the most part.  I don't know how it's going to wear down the line, but for now I'm enjoying it.  It does bug me how critics are making judgments based on the opening questions being easy--they're making "Jeopardy!" and "College Bowl" comparisons that are ridiculous, because this is not that kind of quiz show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
1 vs. 100
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2006, 12:44:27 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'134649\' date=\'Oct 16 2006, 09:39 AM\']
It does bug me how critics are making judgments based on the opening questions being easy--they're making "Jeopardy!" and "College Bowl" comparisons that are ridiculous, because this is not that kind of quiz show.
[/quote]
Maybe they're just pining for a spot on the show.

"In the Mob for this game we have three Miss Americas....six 7-Eleven employees...and four critics who think this show sucks!"
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 12:44:58 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
1 vs. 100
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2006, 02:30:49 PM »
Somewhere at NBC or Endemol, an executive said, "People really like Deal or No Deal, but our testing shows that they don't like the fact that on rare occasion, a contestant wins less than $50,000. How can we change this for our new show?"

And so the rules were fashioned.

How does the "1" not win a boatload of cash every time? The first few questions are certainly not challenging, and even if one of them falls into the cracks of "basic things you just don't happen to know," the first "help" should take care of that. So you build up a very nice sum of money quickly, keep playing until you've used your second "help" (I hope that's not the official term), then quit.

I was also put off by the lack of penalty for using the "helps." Another way to ensure a huge cash jackpot every time.

The only thing that surprised me more than the fact that the "helps" were having the mob tell you why they picked their answer was the fact that the members of the mob actually honestly told the contestant how sure they were of their choice. There was absolutely no reason to assist the "1," yet they did.

[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'134505\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 02:04 PM\']Remember, the mob wants you to go really far, and THEN lose. That way, they get more money. It's all a matter of strategy.[/quote]
Except that there's not enough reward for the contestant to play on after using their second "help." The mob's strategy is to watch the contestant lose before quitting the game. And if the contestant has used all of their assistance, you know that they're on the edge of quitting the game, especially since a) they didn't know the answer to the last question they played and b) they know that the next question will be harder. So if you're in the mob, you'd better be trying to get the contestant to lose while you have the chance.

Things I liked:

I liked the side of the set that contained the mob.

I liked the different type of answer choices for the first, easy question to spice things up.

I liked the idea of beginning each new question by announcing "1 versus ##," though while actually watching it, something felt weird about the execution (I can't put my finger on it, though).

To be honest, I'm completely neutral about Saget so far. I liked that he got some good jokes in but I didn't like that he apologized after a couple of them (if you're worried about viewers being upset by it, then the correct follow-up to the boyfriend joke was to play dumb and say, "Oh, you mean that he...", not to apologize for the joke).

Because it's got the "nothing better to watch on a Friday night" time slot, I'll probably stumble across it again, but it's definitely not something that I'll go out of my way to see.

--
Scott Robinson