Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chain Reaction...  (Read 38368 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Chain Reaction...
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2006, 03:16:34 PM »
Cynical point of view:

"Crap! We're not making nearly as big of a dent in our prize budget as we initially proposed! Better pay out some of that money somehow so the network doesn't cut our budget, should we get a second season!"

In other news, Michael Davies will be contacting early $32,000 winners of the syndicated "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" to request that they return $7,000 of their winnings to him.

--
Scott Robinson

Matt Ottinger

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2006, 03:18:43 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'130096\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 03:16 PM\']In other news, Michael Davies will be contacting early $32,000 winners of the syndicated "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" to request that they return $7,000 of their winnings to him.[/quote]
After all, fair is fair.

Nice line.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Esoteric Eric

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2006, 11:48:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'130097\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 12:18 PM\'][quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'130096\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 03:16 PM\']In other news, Michael Davies will be contacting early $32,000 winners of the syndicated "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" to request that they return $7,000 of their winnings to him.[/quote]After all, fair is fair.[/quote]Ah, but the reduced third-tier values have a string attached: the Switch the Question lifeline.  So, in exchange for the "refund", the contestants should have the opportunity to continue their game from where they stopped, with the fourth lifeline available.  (Example:  John stopped with $64K.  He gives back $14K (since, on the new money tree, Level 11 is now $50K.)  He returns to the Hot Seat, the fourth lifeline is considered to be used, and he attempts a new Level 12 ($100K) question.

Esoteric Eric, who realized several things while composing this post:  1) that people who answered a question incorrectly should not be allowed back, since they should've stopped instead; 2) that virtually no one stopped at Level 11, since there was no money at risk, so any "refund" would be more than $7K (as above, $14K @ Level 12, $25K @ Level 13...) 3) ...unless the contestant stopped with $250K or $500K! (Would those winners be SOL, or should they come back for a free fourth lifeline?* Decisions, decisions...) 4) Jeez, while I was proofing the post, light dawned on Marblehead <pointing at own pate> that it was possible for a returnee to drop back to $25K if they missed the new question. <pate spins>

*P.S. Does anyone else smell a WWTBAM sweeps stunt? ((8=D))
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 11:50:06 AM by Esoteric Eric »
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Chain Reaction...
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2006, 02:04:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' post=\'130155\' date=\'Sep 2 2006, 08:48 AM\']
Esoteric Eric, who realized several things while composing this post:  1) that people who answered a question incorrectly should not be allowed back, since they should've stopped instead;
[/quote]
Sure they should. (Hypothetically speaking, of course, since this entire discussion is hypothetical.) Just because the contestant chose to answer and got it wrong does not mean they would have done so had they known the had the option to flip the question, ESPECIALLY in the case of those players at $25K who were taking the free guess.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2006, 09:32:06 PM »
The male team tonight OWNED Instant Reaction. They got nine right and I promise if they had about two more seconds, they would've won. They were able to finish their question, "Who hosts you in a restaurant," but before their teammate could answer "Maitre d'", the buzzer sounded. I'm sure if they hadn't used up the time to pass, they would've made it.

clemon79

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2006, 09:56:16 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'130545\' date=\'Sep 6 2006, 06:32 PM\']
The male team tonight OWNED Instant Reaction. They got nine right and I promise if they had about two more seconds, they would've won.
[/quote]
I'm confused. I thought they stopped after seven now. Or have those episodes not aired yet?
They were able to finish their question, "Who hosts you in a restaurant," but before their teammate could answer "Maitre d'", the buzzer sounded. I'm sure if they hadn't used up the time to pass, they would've made it.
With the contestants they get?

"Um, a waiter?"

"Wrong, next word." <BZZZZZZZTT!>

Unless the person said something like "Was it a maitre'd?" before they were told, I wouldn't assume it was a gimme at all.

chad1m

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2006, 10:08:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130548\' date=\'Sep 6 2006, 09:56 PM\']
I'm confused. I thought they stopped after seven now. Or have those episodes not aired yet?
[/quote]

Nope, those haven't aired yet. It's still 7/10. I don't think we know when the 5/7 episodes will air.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130548\' date=\'Sep 6 2006, 09:56 PM\']
"Um, a waiter?"

"Wrong, next word." <BZZZZZZZTT!>

Unless the person said something like "Was it a maitre'd?" before they were told, I wouldn't assume it was a gimme at all.
[/quote]

Though it's possible he could have said waiter, his mouth looked to be forming an M, but I honestly think that this team would've gotten it. They seemed actually interested in the game and having fun rather than being cardboard models. Or maybe I'm just being too nice and crediting. All I know is that I was actually excited during a 2006 CR end-game for once.

clemon79

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2006, 10:56:54 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'130554\' date=\'Sep 6 2006, 07:08 PM\']
Though it's possible he could have said waiter, his mouth looked to be forming an M,
[/quote]
Uh. Right.
Or maybe I'm just being too nice and crediting.
Yes.

Neumms

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2006, 03:09:17 PM »
I beg your pardon, but what exactly is the rule change? Did they just lower the requirements for doubling and tripling their money?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Chain Reaction...
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2006, 03:18:59 PM »
From what I can tell, down to 5 and 7 from 7 and 10, respectively. And don't feel stupid for not knowing - I apparently missed the big coming out party for these findings, and just picked it up secondhand.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

FlashStash

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2006, 02:30:54 PM »
The question was asked somewhere in these 20-odd pages, but in case you're wondering, ties are settled with speedchains, with a team picking from 2 chains, and if one team gets it, the other gets a chance to get theirs.  Play continues until one team gets one and the other doesn't.  No money is awarded for the tiebreaker chains.

FS

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Chain Reaction...
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2006, 08:19:55 PM »
Sounds reasonable, although another full chain where words matter instead of money could've worked, too.  (First to solve three words wins)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and presume that in the case of multiple tiebreakers, ones that don't decide the game are edited out.
This signature is currently under construction.

chad1m

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2006, 09:31:18 PM »
The episodes with five and seven air now airing and it definitely appears to be working. A team (female, nonetheless) tripled their money tonight with about thirty-five seconds left. They didn't miss or pass on one.

catnap1972

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2006, 09:39:48 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'131316\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 09:31 PM\']
The episodes with five and seven air now airing and it definitely appears to be working. A team (female, nonetheless) tripled their money tonight with about thirty-five seconds left. They didn't miss or pass on one.
[/quote]

"The bonus round everyone's been talking about"...seems like Dylan finally took our advice.  Not a peep after the team got 5 correct ("OMGOMGOMG!!!YOU DOUBLED YOUR MONEY!!!LEMME WASTE SOME MORE TIME SO YOU DONT GET TRIPLE!!!").  Only after they got seven did he say anything.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Chain Reaction...
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2006, 02:38:56 AM »
I can't see why Dylan can't "be like Bill" and have a quick count after each correct answer, but every little bit helps here.
This signature is currently under construction.