Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN 50 greatest game shows special...  (Read 157213 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
GSN 50 greatest game shows special...
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2006, 10:44:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'124543\' date=\'Jul 19 2006, 10:41 PM\']
I'm assuming that the reason why the show never got to air an episode in the "Top 50"  was not more so that GSN couldn't get clearance to 1 episode from Fox, but maybe because the tapes no longer exist?
[/quote]

I can't imagine *any* show since, say, 1985 has been wiped.

/Not even lousy ones like "Studs" :)

(Rooting for Fox Reality to start airing "Studs" so that GSN can't even consider it)
@lambertman

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2006, 10:48:16 PM »
Studs got a minutelong passing mention during the commercial break of a Blockbusters episode.  Don't think anyone has to worry about GSN digging...that...up.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:48:31 PM by Seth Thrasher »

Allstar87

« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2006, 10:52:23 PM »
I actually wanted to see more attention paid to Studs too. And all they showed was a picture of Mark DeCarlo; not even a shot of the set! I've liked Studs ever since I got an episode in a trade, and I would've loved to see another episode. (I'm sure I'm in the vast minority, though.)

I think it would be a good addition to the GSN's schedule myself; it has way more of a game element than Love Connection, with the heart-collecting and all.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2006, 11:15:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'124549\' date=\'Jul 19 2006, 07:52 PM\']
I actually wanted to see more attention paid to Studs too. And all they showed was a picture of Mark DeCarlo; not even a shot of the set! I've liked Studs ever since I got an episode in a trade, and I would've loved to see another episode. (I'm sure I'm in the vast minority, though.)
[/quote]
Oh yeah.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

narzo

« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2006, 11:42:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'124549\' date=\'Jul 19 2006, 09:52 PM\']

[/quote]

At least they didn't go the tabloid route and show the clip of Ron Goldman on "Studs".  I honestly figured they would when I saw this show was to be mentioned.

rebelwrest

« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2006, 12:08:08 AM »
Looks like I did not miss much.  Since I was six when Studs came on, I never got to see an episode.  But do all think that Studs should have never made the list.  I kept saying what the (expletive deleted) when that show came up.  

Since shows that GSN does not have the rights will only get a passing mention, does that mean the greatest game show of all time will get a passing mention (I am assuming that The Price Is Right will be in that spot, at this point it is pretty much a given)?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

PYLW

« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2006, 12:27:34 AM »
Well hey, it wasn't bad. That Blockbusters epsiode was kind of...out there. I thought they'd show Hatten or Pat and Liz, not some random epsiode...

And wow, seeing Hollywood Showdown, I can see why many consider Todd Newton to be a good host. He's light years ahead of Whammy!... I like this show aswell.

And Studs? Ehh, it sounded like a Love Connection type show anyway. No way would I care enough to watch it...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:28:07 AM by PYLW »

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2006, 03:26:28 AM »
Night 2 of this series was a good one.  Outside of the slight mention to Studs(#47), Blockbusters(#48) & Hollywood Showdown(#46) were nice to see again.  Hearing Dwyer mentioning that Bill Cullen won Emmys for this show makes me curious as to why he hasn't gotten more attention these days than most would think.  He kept plugging away most of the time, though he made a few off-tangent jokes once in awhile.  I didn't find anything unusual about this episode except Loraine's Gold Rush towards the end of the episode where she won it in 22 seconds.  I wonder if it's a record or at least close to it.

As for Showdown, Todd Newton was definitely way better than Whammy! I thought.  Seeing that box office hit of nearly $17K sounds reasonable on a cable show like that.

Looks like I got a conflict tonight between night 3 of this series & WSoPC on VH-1 at 10 PM.  Hopefully, I'll try to work around that somehow.  Not sure which shows get the full episode treatment from #45-#42 this time.

whewfan

« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2006, 05:36:23 AM »
Let's not forget that the gameplay of Studs was a total crock. While the dates are real, all the supposed responses to the questions asked were all dreamed up by the show's writers, and not by the contestants!

Also, Ron Goldman, the guy who was Nicole Brown Simpson's friend, was a contestant on Studs.

WhammyPower

« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2006, 09:29:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'124566\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 02:26 AM\']Blockbusters(#48) & Hollywood Showdown(#46) were nice to see again. [/quote]
Even though you can see them every day?  (BB on GSN, HoSho on TV Guide Channel)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 09:29:33 AM by WhammyPower »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2006, 10:11:56 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'124580\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 06:29 AM\']
Even though you can see them every day?  (BB on GSN, HoSho on TV Guide Channel)
[/quote]
You're making two assumptions here; one, that Karlberg receives either GSN or TV Guide Channel, and two, that Karlberg has even a single clue in his head.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 10:12:14 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

melman1

« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2006, 10:28:23 AM »
It is known exactly how this list of "50 Greatest Game Shows Of All Time !!!" was compiled?  I have a hard time imagining that "Studs" or "3's a Crowd" would make anyone's top 50 list.  And a harder time with Cullen Blockbusters being ranked between them!!

The only explanation that makes any sense is that the list was compiled "Feast of Favorites" style, i.e. with an unsupervised online poll.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

cmjb13

« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'124559\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 12:08 AM\']
Since shows that GSN does not have the rights will only get a passing mention, does that mean the greatest game show of all time will get a passing mention (I am assuming that The Price Is Right will be in that spot, at this point it is pretty much a given)?
[/quote]
They could easily put Price at 3 below MG & FF. They could also sandwich it between both at #2.

Both shows (MG & FF, or even others) could be easily swapped around.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 10:30:52 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2006, 10:59:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'124566\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 03:26 AM\']Hearing Dwyer mentioning that Bill Cullen won Emmys for this show makes me curious as to why he hasn't gotten more attention these days than most would think.  [/quote]
For the record, Bill did not win any Emmys for Blockbusters.  He was nominated for that show, but just once, and he didn't win.  Either Dwyer's script was wrong or Karlberg misquoted him.  I have my suspicions as to which is true.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2006, 11:25:25 AM »
Well, I guess we'll find out tonight if GSN made any one-shot deals beyond Sony series not currently on the schedule.  "Tattletales" will take up half the show, but which one will fill up the other half?