Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSM: The Sequel  (Read 14309 times)

urbanpreppie05

GSM: The Sequel
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2006, 09:28:18 PM »
Ambitous, but a bit much...

Whew and Body Language are too obscure, with their relatively short runs.

Super Password would be cool, but many GS fans would cry foul and say Password Plus instead. Not me though.

Wheel of Fortune would be cool...but if retro is the big thing, why not shopping plus the new end game?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...B and E shows don't rerun or revive well.

And Pyramid is too cerebral for this retro-mindless show.

Like I said, ambitous, but just a bit too much.
insert signature here

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2006, 09:37:52 PM »
B and E shows don't rerun or revive well.  

I'd say the 70s revivals of Joker's Wild and Tic Tac Dough did pretty well.
Just because Kline & Friends buggered it up in 1990 doesn't mean they don't revive well.

--Jamie

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2006, 09:44:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'121750\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 09:37 PM\']

Just because Kline & Friends buggered it up in 1990 doesn't mean they don't revive well.

--Jamie
[/quote]
 I knew this was coming...:-) Here's my argument.
I think that even if you were to revive Joker's Wild or Tic Tac Dough now with a modern set, a good host, decent questions and nice prizes, it would still be a one-season wonder.
I think those shows are the typical 70's game shows that don't require a lot of knowledge and are almost purely based on luck. Granted, So is Deal or No Deal, but DOND has that "newness" factor which I don't think TTD or JW could get simply because they've been done before.
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2006, 10:02:04 PM »
[quote name=\'PalCatIN\' post=\'121742\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 05:33 PM\']
As for the players, Doris Roberts, Suzanne Pleshette, Caroline Rhea, Brad Garrett, Kevin James, and Jerry Stiller.
[/quote]
Wow. Somebody REALLY loves Raymond.

And...Suzanne Pleshette? What are you promoting? Bob Newhart reruns from 1974?
Game One:
Whew!
You are aware that the idea here is to use game shows people have HEARD of, right? 'Cuz the geeks who would recognize Whew! are gonna watch regardless.
Game Three:
Body Language
Apparently not.
Questions, comments, etc?
I can sum it up in one word. That word is "no."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2006, 09:03:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'121750\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 09:37 PM\']

[/quote]

Both shows were on GSN for years.  They must have been doing OK for them to stay on that long.  Personally, I'd like to see them get another shot.  Even if ratings dropped enough to force them off the schedule in 2003, maybe they'd do better now after a three-year break.  Heck...they keep bringing back shows like Body Language, and that couldn't have done that well otherwise they wouldn't keep taking it off in the first place.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2006, 09:44:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'121781\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 09:03 AM\']
 Even if ratings dropped enough to force TJW and TTD off the schedule in 2003, maybe they'd do better now after a three-year break.  

[/quote]

They last had regular berths on the GSN schedule in the SUmmer of 2001. TTD was on weekends only for more than a year prior.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2006, 11:13:39 AM »
They last had regular berths on the GSN schedule in the SUmmer of 2001. TTD was on weekends only for more than a year prior.

Wow...has it really been that long?  I'd say that after 5 years off the schedule they definately deserve another shot.  I think the Barry-Enright library has gone longer without a single appearance on the regular schedule than any other library they have access to  :(
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2006, 12:45:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'121795\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 10:13 AM\']
Wow...has it really been that long?  I'd say that after 5 years off the schedule they definately deserve another shot.  I think the Barry-Enright library has gone longer without a single appearance on the regular schedule than any other library they have access to  :(
[/quote]
Oh, darn.
The Barry-Enright shows are the ones that should remain sitting in the vault.  I'd rather see stuff from the Bob Stewart library...simply because his shows required an IQ higher than 78.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2006, 01:24:53 PM »
Ah, so Mark isn't the only one who gets irked everytime "Jumbled Words" pops up on Bullseye.

I A N B R

Jim Lange: Take a look behind you.  Unscramble the letters to reveal something you don't need to be apart of this show.

Contestant: Brian?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2006, 01:31:34 PM »
Not to mention the word "scrambles" that were oft a fixture of B&E shows kept more of the word in tact than really needed to be. ILOTP would not be out of the ordinary.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2006, 02:19:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'121803\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 09:45 AM\']Oh, darn.
The Barry-Enright shows are the ones that should remain sitting in the vault.  I'd rather see stuff from the Bob Stewart library...simply because his shows required an IQ higher than 78.[/quote]What a shock. Rather than thinking critically, you go for the quick and dirty slam.

Did it occur to you that the questions on Barry's shows were designed to be easy? After "Twenty-one" was canned, that if the questions on "Joker's Wild" were that easy, there would be no charges of rigging. Even when something like a slot machine as the method of determining categories.

For that matter, look at the B&E shows as period pieces. That's what television was like back then. "Jeopardy!" has easy questions, as does "Millionaire." One of my favorite quiz shows, "Temptation," has asked brain burners like "What world river is the anagram of 'line'?" But I still enjoy it. Not in spite of that. It's part of the show. B&E shows were popular then, and Game Show Network owners would get a chance to relive (or see for the first time) a classic part of game show history.

But then you couldn't go off on your "This requires an IQ higher than (some number)" line, which seems to be the only bullet in your gun. Your loss, really.
Travis L. Eberle

uncamark

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2006, 02:57:46 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'121814\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 01:19 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'121803\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 09:45 AM\']Oh, darn.
The Barry-Enright shows are the ones that should remain sitting in the vault.  I'd rather see stuff from the Bob Stewart library...simply because his shows required an IQ higher than 78.[/quote]What a shock. Rather than thinking critically, you go for the quick and dirty slam.

Did it occur to you that the questions on Barry's shows were designed to be easy? After "Twenty-one" was canned, that if the questions on "Joker's Wild" were that easy, there would be no charges of rigging. Even when something like a slot machine as the method of determining categories.[/quote]

However, it did seem to me that the questions on the early network years of "TJW" were a little more challenging than what the syndication B&E shows ended up with.

The basic formats of the B&E shows are very solid and if given the chance, I would try to revive them in a instant.  Unfortunately, the actual shows themselves have not held up well, compared to some other shows of the period, due to material and production, not to mention the extremely weak end games.  It's my opinion, but watching those shows again when I first got GSN bears me out--and I don't think my view would've changed during the time since GSN stopped airing them.

Jay Temple

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2006, 07:43:43 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'121026\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 02:12 AM\']
I don't know about that Password setup, man. Not that I'm a genius on this topic, but I don't think anybody would allow 5 bonus rounds to be played on one show, even if it is a hour- it's overkill. You have to put something in the second half of the hour that will make viewers want to keep watching.
My quick suggestion? Put Password on Day 3 instead. Have the contestants paired with other celebrities in a tournament format similar to Beat The Clock's, where the bonus round is played by the winner at the end of the show.
[/quote]
Truth be told, I only put it there because

1. It was easier to fit in as a 5-player game than anything else, but you could just say that the least-winning celeb from Day 1 sits out.
2. Doing it this way gives you greater control over the playing time. Two best-of-three matches could take a long time or a short time.

Now I'm thinking it could still work with five players, except it would go like this:
Puzzle 1 A&B v C&D. Let's say A&B solve it. (E is the low-scoring player from Day 1.)
Puzzle 2 A&E v. B&C, where A is the higher-scoring of A&B and C is the higher-scoring of C&D from Day 1.
Puzzle 3 and after: Split the team that solved the previous puzzle. Whichever of those players has solved more puzzles is partnered with the person who sat out the previous puzzle. The first player to solve three puzzles plays Alphabetics with the partner on that third puzzle.

Alphabetics: The winner is playing for $1,000 per word or $50,000 for all ten; the player who got him there is playing for a flat $1,000 per word.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

zachhoran

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2006, 08:37:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'121795\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 11:13 AM\']

[/quote]

The Screen Gems/Columbia Pictures-associated shows have gone longer(Diamond Head, Celeb Charades, Fantasy, Perfect Match 1967, etc.). B&E's last appearances on GSN were on Feast of Favorites Thanksgiving 2002(two episodes each of Joker and Tic Tac), and Thanksgiving 2003(two episodes each of Celeb Bullseye and Joker)

zachhoran

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2006, 10:54:55 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'121817\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 02:57 PM\']

However, it did seem to me that the questions on the early network years of "TJW" were a little more challenging than what the syndication B&E shows ended up with.

[/quote]

Keep in mind that when CBS TJW debuted, the original J!, 3 W's, and Split Second were all still on the air. Ergo, it may still have been fashionable in 1972 to have slightly more difficult questions. The hardest regular questions on the late 70s-1990 B&E shows came from the questions missed by 70-100% of the pollees on PtP. Outside of that, not everyone ran through the Auction and Seesaw categories on TTD(or similar questions on Hot Potato). How difficult were the questions on CBS TTD? I'm thinking at about the difficulty level of the Syndie TJW(which had largely multiple choice questions the first season)