Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Season 2 Celebs  (Read 8254 times)

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid Season 2 Celebs
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2003, 03:10:39 PM »
Excuses excuses. I remember that the majority of THIS VERY BOARD (well, it was the other board, but you get the idea) was CERTAIN that Coolio was gonna lie down and totally job to Dick Clark. And SOMEONE of great wisdom said \"You know, Coolio might surprise you.\", and was summarily dismissed. And he WON. :)
I attended the tapings of the FIRST time Coolio played (against Nancy Cartwright from The Simpsons).  Even though he lost every game (and yes, it looked as bad in person as it did on air), there was no doubt during the breaks that he was taking it very seriously, was extremely competitive and was as disappointed as anyone at his poor performance.  It didn't surprise me at all to see him rebound so nicely against Mr. Clark.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Pyramid Season 2 Celebs
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2003, 03:44:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 5 2003, 02:10 PM\']
Excuses excuses. I remember that the majority of THIS VERY BOARD (well, it was the other board, but you get the idea) was CERTAIN that Coolio was gonna lie down and totally job to Dick Clark. And SOMEONE of great wisdom said \"You know, Coolio might surprise you.\", and was summarily dismissed. And he WON. :)
I attended the tapings of the FIRST time Coolio played (against Nancy Cartwright from The Simpsons).  Even though he lost every game (and yes, it looked as bad in person as it did on air), there was no doubt during the breaks that he was taking it very seriously, was extremely competitive and was as disappointed as anyone at his poor performance.  It didn't surprise me at all to see him rebound so nicely against Mr. Clark.[/quote]
And now you know why Coolio gets booked on game and reality shows--unlike, say, Jimmie Walker on \"Pyramid\" back in the 70s (who needed to be told that he wasn't doing \"MG\" or \"Squares\"), he at least is a serious game player.  To a talent booker, that always beats someone going through the motions to promote their series or career any time.

PeterMarshallFan

Pyramid Season 2 Celebs
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2003, 04:46:37 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 12:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 05:44 PM\']I'd also like to see Adrienne Barbeau on the show again. She's still a star. We can see her occasionally on the Drew Carey Show as Oswald's mother.[/quote]
Barbeau's going to be a regular on the new, supposedly tres weird HBO drama series "Carnivale," so if she wants to do "Pyramid" again, I'm sure that they would be glad to have her.  They would probably be glad to have her even if she was just doing Catwoman's voice on "Batman" or "Justice League." [/quote]
 Well, then she's about as well known as 14,543,677,988 of the other celebs who show up on Pyramid. Except I've actually HEARD of her.

Dan Sadro

Pyramid Season 2 Celebs
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2003, 08:34:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 5 2003, 02:10 PM\'] I attended the tapings of the FIRST time Coolio played (against Nancy Cartwright from The Simpsons).  Even though he lost every game (and yes, it looked as bad in person as it did on air), there was no doubt during the breaks that he was taking it very seriously, was extremely competitive and was as disappointed as anyone at his poor performance.  It didn't surprise me at all to see him rebound so nicely against Mr. Clark. [/quote]
 My question is, along those lines, does Coolio actually do this for the love/enjoyment of the genre?  This isn't the only show he's been on (I know he was MG98 and I think he was on HSq) and if he takes it this seriously...

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid Season 2 Celebs
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2003, 08:46:41 PM »
My question is, along those lines, does Coolio actually do this for the love/enjoyment of the genre? This isn't the only show he's been on (I know he was MG98 and I think he was on HSq) and if he takes it this seriously...
I think you'll find very, very few celebrities who appear on these shows *solely* for the love/enjoyment of the genre.  It is all a business, after all.  Still, I don't think you'd see Coolio on so many of these shows (and he's been on a lot more than you named) if he hated it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChuckNet

Pyramid Season 2 Celebs
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2003, 12:22:54 AM »
My question is, along those lines, does Coolio actually do this for the love/enjoyment of the genre? This isn't the only show he's been on (I know he was MG98 and I think he was on HSq) and if he takes it this seriously...

Yeah, he's gotta enjoy it to some degree...he was also on Pictionary, Figure it Out, and 2-Minute Drill.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 12:23:20 AM by ChuckNet »