Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Monopoly coming back with Trump's help?  (Read 2505 times)

weaklink75

Monopoly coming back with Trump's help?
« on: June 07, 2006, 10:26:40 AM »
They're at least shopping the idea.......I call dibs on the dog.....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:29:33 AM by weaklink75 »

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 05:48:18 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'120600\' date=\'Jun 7 2006, 09:26 AM\']
They're at least shopping the idea.......I call dibs on the dog.....
[/quote]

Perhaps The Donald's old competitor in Atlantic City can tell him about what he went through when he tried to bring "Monopoly" to television--and get him to forget the idea, even as a reality show.

johnnyd1788

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 01:16:32 AM »
And I thought my friends' ambition to create "Monopoly: The Musical!" was silly...

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnyd1788\' post=\'120651\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 12:16 AM\']
And I thought my friends' ambition to create "Monopoly: The Musical!" was silly...
[/quote]

Don't laugh--someone already tried it.

Way back in 1982 or so, Victory Gardens Theater here in Chicago did a little show called "Your Move," an unauthorized attempt at doing a musical inspired by Monopoly, with songs like "The Marvins of Marvin Gardens" and so on.  It seems to me that the initial ad campaign for the show had to be redone before they released it because it used Monopoly symbols baldly enough to risk a lawsuit from Parker Brothers.  Still, Parker Brothers heard and threatened to sue.  However, the show wasn't very good, ran its subscription run and closed and hasn't been produced anywhere else, AFAIK.  And I guess the suit was dropped.  (Besides, the authors had an out by saying that Parker Brothers doesn't own the Atlantic City street grid.)

Monarx

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 03:35:32 PM »
It won't just be Monopoly... it'll be TRUMPopoly.  With solid gold hotels, diamond encrusted Chance cards, and the most luxurious jail you can find anywhere.  It'll be UUUUUUGE!

ObGS: I liked the old version of the show, hopefully this one will also be good.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

JohnHolder

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 10:38:53 PM »
The 1990 Monopoly game show was a word game whose bonus round was kinda sorta vaguely related to the Monopoly board game.  It was less like a real game of Monopoly than Chuck Woolery's show was like a real game of Scrabble.  Granted, the producers probably didn't think there would be much of an audience to sit at home and watch people play a board game of Monopoly (or Scrabble) on broadcast network TV.

But given the recent success of the high-stakes celebrity poker games on cable, I could envision a big-bucks Monopoly tournament picking up an audience on TV now.  Multiply the dollar values of the board game by 10 or 100 ($15/150,000 to enter, $20/200,000 rent on Boardwalk with a hotel, etc.).  Winner take all.

And oh, yeah, as with the poker games...you use your own money. :)

John