Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coming soon on DVD...  (Read 7948 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Coming soon on DVD...
« on: September 01, 2003, 10:07:58 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=dvd&n=507846

From what I read elsewhere, this set will have episodes from the first 3 seasons, shows that weren't part of the syndication package.

ChuckNet

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 12:09:07 PM »
From what I read elsewhere, this set will have episodes from the first 3 seasons, shows that weren't part of the syndication package.

Wonder if it'll include the Story family's appearance so we can finally get the true status of Groucho's \"cigar\" remark...

Chuck Donegan (The Illusrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

uncamark

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 04:47:55 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Sep 1 2003, 09:07 PM\']http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=dvd&n=507846

From what I read elsewhere, this set will have episodes from the first 3 seasons, shows that weren't part of the syndication package.[/quote]
Hence \"The Lost Episodes\" title.

Paul Brownstein, who handles the program sales now for the Marx and Guedel estates for \"YBYL\" (the original \"Best of Groucho\" package, the \"lost episodes\" package represented here and the sort-of spinoff \"Tell It to Groucho\"), had tried to pitch the \"lost episodes\" package to some cable networks, but seemingly got no interest.   But since vintage TV is doing very well on DVD, we're getting this set.  If this does well, perhaps Sony Music might want to do a \"Best of 'The Best of Groucho'\" package.

Jimmy Owen

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 06:46:42 PM »
Interesting that Sony Music is handling the distribution of YBYL DVDs.  Somebody at Sony Music should talk to somebody at Sony Television to see if there might be any other game shows in the TV div. vaults that might warrant DVD release.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 07:35:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 05:46 PM\'] Interesting that Sony Music is handling the distribution of YBYL DVDs.  Somebody at Sony Music should talk to somebody at Sony Television to see if there might be any other game shows in the TV div. vaults that might warrant DVD release. [/quote]
 The Newlywed Game would probably the most popular of the SOny owned shows to put on DVD, and maybe the Gong Show(would have been an idea to tie in with the release of the COnfessions film earlier this year)

Matt Ottinger

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 07:49:20 PM »
Any indication anywhere as to exactly how many episodes will be included in the package?  Part of the problem I've had with YBYL sets in the past is the limited number of episodes they contain.  The largest to this point has been a seven-VHS set (a gift to me from another member of this board, actually) but which only contained two episodes per tape.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

HSquares2003

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 08:17:56 PM »
Hey, how about TPIR on DVD coming soon! It would get to be costly for the tape/dvd collectors, but well worth the $$$$

Jimmy Owen

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 09:06:43 PM »
I wouldn't mind a potpourri of Sony games on a disc, sorta like what they did with some of the 70's crime dramas.  In addition to releasing DVD box sets of the original \"Charlie's Angels\" and \"SWAT,\" they put out a disc with eps of those two plus \"Starsky and Hutch,\" \"The Rookies\" and \"Police Woman.\"  Maybe put out a disc of Barris shows NG, DG, Gong Show 3AC, TH, etc. and if that performs well, a B-E set, Bob Stewart set and a Merv Griffin set.  These would be for nostalgia kitsch value mostly, and a way to generate income from the library, as the shows are too old to be shown on cable anymore.

Ian Wallis

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 12:26:23 PM »
These would be for nostalgia kitsch value mostly, and a way to generate income from the library, as the shows are too old to be shown on cable anymore.

Hmmm....TVLand just started airing \"Mr Ed\" this week.  

I think that's what has a lot of us confused - that a channel like TVLand can air a lot of old shows all the time, but a channel like GSN has to rely on the more recent stuff.

It's been mentioned that GSN averages around a 0.6 or 0.7 for many of its shows.  Does anyone know what TVLand averages?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 01:15:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 11:26 AM\']Hmmm....TVLand just started airing \"Mr Ed\" this week. 

I think that's what has a lot of us confused - that a channel like TVLand can air a lot of old shows all the time, but a channel like GSN has to rely on the more recent stuff.

It's been mentioned that GSN averages around a 0.6 or 0.7 for many of its shows.  Does anyone know what TVLand averages?[/quote]
This is a list of the 25 top-rated ad-supported basic cable channels as of last March.  TV Land is in the top 25 in prime time with over 600,000 viewers, but doesn't place in the top 25 on a day-long average.  GSN isn't in either list.

The perceived difference between TV Land and GSN is that TV Land is branded as a vintage TV channel and nothing else.  The audience tunes to TV Land expecting to see vintage TV and (more or less) gets it.  (The arguments can reign over what is \"vintage\" or \"classic,\" especially as the initial audience gets older and out of the desirable demos, but if \"classic TV\" can be considered not what's rerun at the dinner hour and late at night on broadcast stations and the big cable channels, TV Land fits the bill.)

On the other hand, GSN has never been branded as a \"classic\" game show channel--simply as a game show channel (or a channel about gaming and games featuring game shows).  People tune into GSN (or are expected to tune into GSN) expecting game shows in general, not necessarily vintage game shows.  Due to financial constraints, of course, the early years were almost entirely vintage programming, but simply by the presence of the \"Prime Games\" interstitials, there was already evidence that the channel was not to be just old shows--and when the household levels were considered high enough to make original programming feasible (which personally I still believe that 1998 was way too soon to jump in, since GSN had barely cracked the 15 million home mark), they started commissioning said original programming.

The difference is that TV Land (launched by Rich Cronin) has always known exactly what it wants to be and has been able to stick to it with minimal interference from Viacom suits (even after Mel \"Higher Profit Margins Now!\" Karmazin was put in charge).  GSN seems to have never really had a clear vision of what it wants to be, mostly because Sony suits have seemed to think totally in the short-term how-can-we-get-young-demos instead of the long-term.  I think Rich Cronin and Bob Boden do have a certain vision of what GSN is and were able to begin to execute it with minimal meddling from Sony and Liberty--and then we come upon the decision for the video game block, which still smacks to me as nothing more but clueless execs from either Sony or Liberty whining about not getting young demos and not holding on to that 1.5 million viewers who watched the Michael Larsen doc--and Rich and Bob doing this simply to shut them up, knowing damn well that it doesn't fit GSN's profile and it's not going to work.  But that's business.

If it's any comfort, it does seem that the diehards of other niche entertainment channels have the same complaint--and unless the whole business model of television changes, the complaints will be around for years to come.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 04:23:22 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 05:17 PM\'] Hey, how about TPIR on DVD coming soon! It would get to be costly for the tape/dvd collectors, but well worth the $$$$ [/quote]
 Hey, how about telling us, after the 300 of us who would actually be interested in such a beast have snapped up our copies, what landfill they're gonna dump the rest of the print run in?

Really, just once I wish people would think about these things....
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2003, 04:58:21 PM »
What are the economics of producing a DVD?  I just bought a 8 episode DVD of \"Stories of the Century,\" the 1954 series with Jim \"Jock Ewing\" Davis and Mary Castle for less than $3.00.  Not every DVD has to be a million seller.  In the case of TPIR, I can see a few possible buyers besides us. General TV fans and people who were on the show. Not a 500 disc box set perhaps, but maybe they could offer date specific DVDs for the folks who were in the audience that day, the people who got to contestant's row and on stage and their relatives.

GS Warehouse

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2003, 05:39:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 03:23 PM\'] Hey, how about telling us, after the 300 of us who would actually be interested in such a beast have snapped up our copies, what landfill they're gonna dump the rest of the print run in? [/quote]
 I guess we'll know soon, about a week or two after Gigli comes out on DVD.

DrBear

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2003, 05:48:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 03:58 PM\'] What are the economics of producing a DVD?  I just bought a 8 episode DVD of "Stories of the Century," the 1954 series with Jim "Jock Ewing" Davis and Mary Castle for less than $3.00.
 [/quote]
 Do the words \"public domain\" strike a familiar note? That's why you couldn't swing a dead cat a few years ago without hitting a copy of \"It's a Wonderful Life.\" Then, somehow, NBC got the copyright and managed to put the others away.

So this DVD is probably of a movie whose copyright expired or is lost in legal limbo. The only cost then is the raw materials for the DVD (10 cents plastic) and the time and man-hours to transfer the original film to a master DVD, which can be copied ad infinitum. You don't have to sell many to make money.

That wouldn't be the case with TPIR.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Jimmy Owen

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2003, 07:37:22 PM »
Yes, Dr.B, my purchase was a public domain title complete with splices and cue marks, but it was a good show!  Have you noticed that a PD release can prove there is value in those libraries.  This is off topic, but since Michael Landon once appeared on Match Game, I'll mention it.  \"Bonanza\" episodes were on first on DVD from these Public Domain outfits (how \"Bonanza\" got into the public domain I don't know).  You can get 20 episode sets for less than 10 bucks. The copyright owner, Republic (Viacom/Paramount subsidiary) has just released (through Artisan) a \"Bonanza\" disc of their own with eps that have not fallen into the public domain.  It's $22.50  but it's out there.  Re: \"Wonderful Life,\" that is also a Republic title that is leased to NBC for broadcast.  The DVD is from Republic/Artisan.