Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Academic Challenge (Cleveland) Putting Out The "Help Wanted"  (Read 1547 times)

TimK2003

News in Saturday's (5/20) Cleveland Plain Dealer says that WEWS morning news anchor and "Academic Challenge" Quizmaster Adam Shapiro is leaving Cleveland to move to New York City.

Adam's last day on the morning show will be in 2 weeks.  All of this season's Academic Challenge episodes are in the can.   The article did mention that they will be looking for a new host of the local high school quizzer for the new season this fall.

Matt, here's your chance to shine in a larger market!  Just come into town a few weekends in the fall for 4 or 5-a-day tapings.   Only a 4 hour drive from Michigan... :-)

Tim L

Academic Challenge (Cleveland) Putting Out The "Help Wanted"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 02:06:15 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'118977\' date=\'May 20 2006, 01:39 PM\']
News in Saturday's (5/20) Cleveland Plain Dealer says that WEWS morning news anchor and "Academic Challenge" Quizmaster Adam Shapiro is leaving Cleveland to move to New York City.

Adam's last day on the morning show will be in 2 weeks.  All of this season's Academic Challenge episodes are in the can.   The article did mention that they will be looking for a new host of the local high school quizzer for the new season this fall.

Matt, here's your chance to shine in a larger market!  Just come into town a few weekends in the fall for 4 or 5-a-day tapings.   Only a 4 hour drive from Michigan... :-)
[/quote]

Matt would be a great choice, except I think they would want someone to do a bit more than "Academic Challenge" though

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 02:51:05 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'118977\' date=\'May 20 2006, 01:39 PM\']News in Saturday's (5/20) Cleveland Plain Dealer says that WEWS morning news anchor and "Academic Challenge" Quizmaster Adam Shapiro is leaving Cleveland to move to New York City.

Adam's last day on the morning show will be in 2 weeks.  All of this season's Academic Challenge episodes are in the can.   The article did mention that they will be looking for a new host of the local high school quizzer for the new season this fall.[/quote]
Good.  Adam Shapiro is a marginal host.  I'd love to see Don Webster return but he's been retired for the past decade or so.

[quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'118981\' date=\'May 20 2006, 02:06 PM\']Matt would be a great choice, except I think they would want someone to do a bit more than "Academic Challenge" though[/quote]
This makes me believe they'd hire someone in-house.  The last three hosts were all on-air personalities at WEWS:  Shapiro and Lou Maglio as anchors, and Don Webster, the meteorologist.

I would be the only person against Matt hosting Academic Challenge only because I would like to coach the Academic Challenge team wherever I teach next year.  (Someone, please hire me.  kthx)  There might be a slight S&P issue since I met Matt last year and have known him for a decade.  If I'm not the AC coach at whichever high school hires me, I'm all for Matt hosting!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 04:45:41 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'118988\' date=\'May 20 2006, 02:51 PM\']  There might be a slight S&P issue since I met Matt last year and have known him for a decade.  If I'm not the AC coach at whichever high school hires me, I'm all for Matt hosting![/quote]
What a flattering thread! Of course, Cleveland would have to match the outrageous salary I'm already drawing from the PBS station in the 110th market in the country.

In Lansing, I actually work for one of the participating schools and I know several of the coach/teacher/advisors on a personal basis.  I'd hate to think that the Cleveland show wouldn't let you coach a team because we both once had lunch in the same room as Jack Narz.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 05:14:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'118995\' date=\'May 20 2006, 04:45 PM\']In Lansing, I actually work for one of the participating schools and I know several of the coach/teacher/advisors on a personal basis.  I'd hate to think that the Cleveland show wouldn't let you coach a team because we both once had lunch in the same room as Jack Narz.
[/quote]
Excellent.  So this means you can swing by my school, "accidentally" drop off material for a show, and it's all kosher?  Sweet!

Don't forget, we were also in the same general area as Teresa Ganzel.  If that doesn't get me DQed, I don't know what will.

/sarcasm up there a few times

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 08:03:21 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'118998\' date=\'May 20 2006, 04:14 PM\']

Don't forget, we were also in the same general area as Teresa Ganzel.  If that doesn't get me DQed, I don't know what will.

[/quote]

MMMMMM...Teresa Ganzel, some whipped cream, hot fudge and butterscotch topping.   Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind getting DQ-ed by her as well.  :-)

Don Howard

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 11:14:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'118981\' date=\'May 20 2006, 02:06 PM\']
Matt would be a great choice, except I think they would want someone to do a bit more than "Academic Challenge" though
[/quote]
If Matt doesn't go for it, I'm certainly going to. I've a tape of me hosting a mock College Bowl run-through from three years ago which does not embarrass me. Plus, I'm still itching for a gig in Cleveland since Ronnie Duncan beat me out of the Cavaliers' public address announcing job.