Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Marathon Commercial during Survivor Reunion Show  (Read 43599 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Marathon Commercial during Survivor Reunion Show
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2006, 01:03:25 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'119700\' date=\'May 28 2006, 09:44 PM\']
I'm puzzled why the folk at CBS declared that Card Sharks needed new question types in the first place. What's wrong with "To take control of the cards, you must win a toss-up question. These questions will see how well you can predict human nature." Knowing the height of the Empire State Building in blocks of cheese does not predict human nature.
[/quote]
Well, my question is this: what the hell do questions about human nature have a thing to do with discerning whether a playing card is higher or lower than the one before it? The question on Card Sharks could be replaced by a coin toss with very little effect on the overall format.

My guess is that they wanted to mix it up a bit because they thought the variety would attract more viewers.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2006, 01:31:33 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'119701\' date=\'May 28 2006, 10:03 PM\']
Well, my question is this: what the hell do questions about human nature have a thing to do with discerning whether a playing card is higher or lower than the one before it? [/quote]In each case, one player must determine whether an unknown is higher or lower than a known quantity, whether it's a playing card or a survey guess.

Kudos on the CS staff for not just doing "Yet Another Buzz-In Toss-Up Question For Control."
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2006, 01:41:28 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'119702\' date=\'May 28 2006, 10:31 PM\']
In each case, one player must determine whether an unknown is higher or lower than a known quantity, whether it's a playing card or a survey guess.
[/quote]
...and so're the educated guess and audience survey questions. So I'm not sure what your complaint is, aside from "that's not how they did it before", which you know as well as I is a crappy complaint.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 01:42:10 AM by clemon79 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2006, 01:55:47 AM »
I don't have a complaint. I'm asking why someone thought it was necessary to replace interesting questions like "Which is worse, a street thug that steals $100 or a CEO that embezzles $10,000?" with things like how much a Super Bowl advertisement costs. I would be willing to bet there's at least one person who could answer that with a high degree of certainty, too.

Someone at the G-T offices had to say "Yeah! That'd be a good idea! And let's have ten people from the crowd answer questions too!".

I don't put Skittles in my chocolate chip cookies not because it's not the way it was done before, but because it would taste awful. Card Sharks was interesting because of the interesting questions, and that's diluted when we have to stop down for five minutes for Bob to personally interview each person of the ten-person survey group.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2006, 02:22:12 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'119704\' date=\'May 28 2006, 10:55 PM\']
Card Sharks was interesting because of the interesting questions,
[/quote]
Well, your opinion, but I would be interested in knowing how many people watched Card Sharks for the survey questions, and how many people watched it for the cards.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2006, 04:23:48 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'119705\' date=\'May 29 2006, 01:22 AM\']
Well, your opinion, but I would be interested in knowing how many people watched Card Sharks for the survey questions, and how many people watched it for the cards.
[/quote]
I mainly watch for the cards...I really don't care how many housewives in Phoenix used vinegar to remove stains.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 04:24:07 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Casey

« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2006, 10:41:45 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'119658\' date=\'May 28 2006, 02:17 PM\']
It looks like they will be doing educated guess questions with Card Sharks, and that's fine with me. I kind of like that they're taking a few versions of the show and mixing them together (at least they're using the good versions to mix).
[/quote]
Do we know this to be true?  I haven't seen/heard anyone state (aside from this posting) that the educated guess questions would be in Card Sharks.  I'm not saying it is or isn't true... just hadn't heard it.

Speedy G

« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2006, 11:34:26 AM »
We DID see in 2001 how many people watched just for the cards... =D

Asking subjective survey questions gives you some insight into the minds of the players, and is scores more interesting than a coin flip or something like this:

"How many pennies tall is the Empire State Building?  Jim?"

Jim: *blank stare*  Hell, I don't know... a million?

"One million... Susie, higher or lower?"

Susie: *shrugs* Uh... higher?

"Higher.  The actual height in pennies of the Empire State Building is... 493,862!"
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

CJBojangles

« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2006, 02:45:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' post=\'119711\' date=\'May 29 2006, 10:34 AM\']
"Higher.  The actual height in pennies of the Empire State Building is... 493,862!"
[/quote]

Aww, I'm sorry. No $500 bonus this time.

(Drat!)

bwood

« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2006, 06:04:30 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' post=\'119709\' date=\'May 29 2006, 10:41 AM\']
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'119658\' date=\'May 28 2006, 02:17 PM\']
It looks like they will be doing educated guess questions with Card Sharks, and that's fine with me. I kind of like that they're taking a few versions of the show and mixing them together (at least they're using the good versions to mix).
[/quote]
Do we know this to be true?  I haven't seen/heard anyone state (aside from this posting) that the educated guess questions would be in Card Sharks.  I'm not saying it is or isn't true... just hadn't heard it.
[/quote]

No, it hasn't been said for sure, I just said that it looks like they are. By looking at the longer GSM promos, at the beginning where they show cheerleaders jumping up to that long rail type thing, by slowing it down with the miracle of TiVo, I can count about 7 on screen, and more appear to be coming on. Out of all the shows, I can't think of any of them that would need 7+ cheerleaders with the long CS-style nametags on. This was just my guess by seeing the clip. I'd pretty much bet the farm that they are doing them (at least once) by just seeing that. And, if they aren't, they aren't.  We'll find out.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 06:06:16 PM by bwood »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2006, 10:53:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'119705\' date=\'May 28 2006, 11:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'119704\' date=\'May 28 2006, 10:55 PM\']Card Sharks was interesting because of the interesting questions,[/quote]Well, your opinion, but I would be interested in knowing how many people watched Card Sharks for the survey questions, and how many people watched it for the cards.
[/quote]Yeah, it's my opinion. You asked me why it was a good thing that the original CS had only the regular survey questions, and I defended my point very well. In addition to not taking five minutes out of the show for one question, there was continuity. If you're just gonna dismiss my points out of hand like this, why should I bother?

[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'119706\' date=\'May 29 2006, 01:23 AM\']I mainly watch for the cards...I really don't care how many housewives in Phoenix used vinegar to remove stains.[/quote]Yeah, the show is Card Sharks, not Survey Sharks. I get it. I'm asserting that the survey questions improved the game because both portions used the higher/lower mechanic very well. If memory serves, you didn't watch Card Sharks anyhow, Mark, so your opinion isn't very relevant at all. It wouldn't matter if they rolled dice, threw cards at a hat, or had a chimpanzee spin a carnival wheel to determine control, you still wouldn't watch.

I, however, did (and do) enjoy the program a great deal. Not just because of the surveys, but because the whole show fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. If you had players alternating control every turn, you'd still have the card play, but it would be far less interesting.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2006, 11:18:05 PM »
Take it easy, Travis. There's no need to get worked up. I have a sinking feeling that this thread's about to take a turn for the worse.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2006, 11:38:04 PM »
Must find Prozac. Breathe in, breathe out.

I do not care one way or the other about the type of questions used on the CS portion of Game Show Marathon. I do think that if you're going to pay homage to six great game shows, you may as well go all out, which it seems like they're doing. That doesn't mean that I'll pitch a hissy if the lights don't flash properly, or a $470 slide is absent from the Big Board.

Anyone who does complain about missing slides, the font of the name plate on "Match Game" or anything else, is not someone who's opinion I care about.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2006, 11:40:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'119757\' date=\'May 29 2006, 08:38 PM\']
Anyone who does complain about missing slides, the font of the name plate on "Match Game" or anything else, is not someone who's opinion I care about.
[/quote]
Missing slides on the PYL board is absolutely something that should be avoided. It's ok if certain slides are replaced by others, but if there's just plain nothing there, that could screw up the game. :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 11:41:10 PM by whoserman »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2006, 11:43:10 PM »
You might be onto something.

"Welcome back to round one of Press Your Luck. We have $0 in cash and prizes on the board, with no nasty whammies to take the money away."

Player One: "Big Bucks, no whammies...stop!"

<fwhap>

"Stop at...well, nothing. That puts you at nothing. Press or pass?"
Travis L. Eberle