Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strange thing on Wheel in the 70's  (Read 3082 times)

Jimmy Owen

Strange thing on Wheel in the 70's
« on: August 31, 2003, 08:37:41 PM »
Do you remember the odd thing the contestants had to do if the puzzle was unsolved and a commercial break came up?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 08:44:40 PM »
Turn their backs...

It's not so odd; it was just a good way to ensure the contestant in control of the board and wheel didn't have an extra 2 minutes to study the board and figure it out when in all fairness, they shouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 08:52:00 PM »
What makes it odd compared to today is that play moved so slowly that they routinely NEEDED to go to a commercial in the middle of a round.  BTW, I remember that they originally didn't actually show the contestants turning their backs, but somebody (probably Chuck) said in an interview that it was always the practice.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 08:53:52 PM »
Yeah, when I was a child of 14 I thought, \"why not put it behind the curtain Susan came out of?\"  Not sure if it was a bad idea now.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2003, 08:57:43 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 08:58:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 07:52 PM\'] What makes it odd compared to today is that play moved so slowly that they routinely NEEDED to go to a commercial in the middle of a round.  BTW, I remember that they originally didn't actually show the contestants turning their backs, but somebody (probably Chuck) said in an interview that it was always the practice. [/quote]
 The commercial in the middle of a puzzle was a part of the NBC Daytime run from 1975-89, stopping when the show moved to CBS. Some of the earliest syndicated episodes had commercial breaks in the middle of a puzzle as well.

drmusic_99

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2003, 01:38:08 AM »
While I don't remember seeing it on the actual show, it seems to me it happened to a sitcom character when they were a contestant... (cue laugh track at character's befuddled expression when asked to turn around) Could it have been.....     \"227\"?

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 02:28:47 AM »
[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'Sep 1 2003, 12:38 AM\'] While I don't remember seeing it on the actual show, it seems to me it happened to a sitcom character when they were a contestant... (cue laugh track at character's befuddled expression when asked to turn around) Could it have been.....     "227"? [/quote]
 It was \"Gimme a Break.\"
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!