Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR HD?  (Read 2950 times)

DjohnsonCB

TPiR HD?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 09:49:55 AM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'115792\' date=\'Apr 10 2006, 07:26 AM\']
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'115784\' date=\'Apr 10 2006, 07:03 AM\']
A bit of good news/bad news I learned about watching CBS and other networks in HD recently:  The good news is that CBS allows full end credit runs with their original show music and credit display with no promos or credit crunches...but for some reason, it's only on their sitcoms, not anything else like "Ghost Whisperer".

The bad news is there's a lot of digitized breakup and broken up audio during a hard rain or worse, at least around here, so I have to switch over to the same show in blotchy analog on my huge set in order to follow what's being said.
[/quote]

You recieving your CBS station from over the air?

If you have to switch to analogue its most likely its their digial UHF transmitter, which everyone knows isnt as powerful as VHF.

Oh Weird Al.
[/quote]

I get them all from digital cable; the CBS station had a recent change of ownership, so they were finally able to settle their differences with Cox Cable over retrans fees and allowed their HD signal back on cable earlier this year.

I don't think I've seen any serious breakup on the CBS station, probably because they invested more bucks in what they say is a better HD system.  Over the air, it's Ch. 45 (or 3-1).  The real breakup happens on the NBC and Fox stations.  To keep the signals coming in during good weather, I had to buy a Radio Shack signal booster and feed my cable through it, but it does a good job.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

BrandonFG

TPiR HD?
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 10:01:49 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'115784\' date=\'Apr 10 2006, 02:03 AM\']
A bit of good news/bad news I learned about watching CBS and other networks in HD recently:  The good news is that CBS allows full end credit runs with their original show music and credit display with no promos or credit crunches...but for some reason, it's only on their sitcoms, not anything else like "Ghost Whisperer".
[/quote]
That's interesting, but for me, it seems moot. I say that because most shows nowadays use a default black background, prolly because of how the networks set up credits to be split-screened. There are some exceptions ("Cold Case" reruns on TNT come to mind), but it's just something I noticed.

Would still love to have that "feature" with the CBS sitcoms at least.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

TPiR HD?
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 12:13:11 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'115800\' date=\'Apr 10 2006, 09:01 AM\']
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'115784\' date=\'Apr 10 2006, 02:03 AM\']
[/quote]
That's interesting, but for me, it seems moot. I say that because most shows nowadays use a default black background, prolly because of how the networks set up credits to be split-screened. There are some exceptions ("Cold Case" reruns on TNT come to mind), but it's just something I noticed.

Would still love to have that "feature" with the CBS sitcoms at least.
[/quote]

On the VOD offerings of CBS programs that Comcast is running for 99 cents a pop, the credits are ungeneric and actual sound--"Survivor"'s credits are split screen with the tossed player's goodbye on the left-hand side and there's the flame sound over the Mark Burnett logo (the "Survivor Entertainment" and "Castaway Productions" logos are accompanied by the horn sound from the theme).  "TAR" has the theme playing over the credits, but silence on the logos (not even a thunderclap for the Bruckheimer logo).

What makes them less of a deal for those of us with DVRs (or VCRs) is that the commercial breaks are full-length.  Even if there are fewer paid spots, all of the rest, including the local station breaks, are filled by the same five PSAs over and over and mostly-generic promos, unlike most cable channel VODs, which do shorten or eliminate the breaks (Yay, Oxygen!).  There's also no Survivor of the Week or "TAR" Team of the Week features on the VOD versions, although the Febreeze Family Moment is on "Survivor."  The fact that you have to touch the fast-forward every ten minutes or so make them not worth the 99 cents.