Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel's New Set  (Read 8770 times)

LA the DJ

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2003, 04:33:53 AM »
...as long as it doesn't have the Sony logo all over it, it seems pretty cool.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel's New Set
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2003, 11:32:29 AM »
Yeah, it looks perfectly snazzy. Is the game still gonna suck?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2003, 12:11:01 PM »
How many additional sponsorships will they have to sell to pay for the new set?

Soon they'll have Vanna wearing a sandwich board, saying \"eat at Quizno's\" or something.

Brandon Brooks

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2003, 12:17:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 11:11 AM\'] How many additional sponsorships will they have to sell to pay for the new set?

Soon they'll have Vanna wearing a sandwich board, saying "eat at Quizno's" or something. [/quote]
 No more than now.  Do you know that Wheel is the #1 show in syndication and has been forever?

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2003, 01:04:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 09:17 AM\'] [quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 11:11 AM\'] How many additional sponsorships will they have to sell to pay for the new set?

Soon they'll have Vanna wearing a sandwich board, saying "eat at Quizno's" or something. [/quote]
No more than now.  Do you know that Wheel is the #1 show in syndication and has been forever?
 [/quote]
 Sure. Then why did they need the Jackpot Round to be \"brought to you by Zaitarains?\" I like jambalaya as much as anyone, but it does seem a little silly.

The answer, of course: because they can. Most folks here know that. I think what Neumms is asking is, what's the limit? How far will WOF take it?

HSquares2003

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2003, 01:54:42 PM »
I clicked all kind of links on their site and I don't see the new set.

clemon79

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2003, 03:31:58 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 10:54 AM\'] I clicked all kind of links on their site and I don't see the new set. [/quote]
 Yep. Looks like they changed the site. Next time you should be a little quicker.

BrandonFG

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2003, 04:52:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 12:04 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 09:17 AM\'] [quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 11:11 AM\'] How many additional sponsorships will they have to sell to pay for the new set?

Soon they'll have Vanna wearing a sandwich board, saying \"eat at Quizno's\" or something. [/quote]
 [/quote]
Sure. Then why did they need the Jackpot Round to be \"brought to you by Zaitarains?\" I like jambalaya as much as anyone, but it does seem a little silly.

The answer, of course: because they can. Most folks here know that. I think what Neumms is asking is, what's the limit? How far will WOF take it? [/quote]
No sillier than college bowl games having their own sponsors (i.e. the Tostito's Fiesta Bowl, Toyota Gator Bowl, etc.). :-P Only in this case, I see it as being similar to the 50s shows, where the company name was plastered on the set or the panel desk. At least with Wheel, it's just for the round.

ObGameShow: One of those bowl games had a game show-esque mini-game at halftime. Perfesser even mentioned it on his site.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 05:04:32 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2003, 05:03:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 11:17 AM\']

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 Uh, yup. I did know that. It's as Chris said, I like jambalaya, too, but how much money do they need to suck out of the show?

One might hope viewers would turn away and show Sony and King World they've killed the golden goose. But then the analysts would just assume their audience passed away, not that they were fed up with Harrah's and Breath Savers plugs.

Not that other shows aren't full of plugs and commercials, too, but on Wheel, they really seem to be squeezing out the game play. And again, it's not as if King World is hanging by a thread.

Matt Ottinger

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2003, 07:38:48 PM »
I think I see your point, except to the part that you seem to say King World has made enough money on Wheel and doesn't need to make any more.  They're a business, why shouldn't they try to make as much as they can?  

Yes, the clutter of ads is annoying.  So's the squished credits and dropped fee plugs on GSN.  I'm personally annoyed by the ever-larger (not to mention animated) promos running DURING THE SHOWS on Spike TV.  But if I'm in the mood for an episode of ST: TNG, I'm willing to put up with the annoyance.   So, apparently, are Wheel fans.

I've never heard of a situation where too much sponsorship caused a project to fail.  You hear purists complaining about it all the time (title sponsorship of stadiums and bowl games being a prime example) but there doesn't appear to be any evidence that it really turns off a significant number of people to the point that they reject the project.  

There might be a point at which it becomes too much.  (\"I'd like to buy a 'Meineke Muffler E', Pat, I'm not going to pay a lot for that vowel!\")  But Wheel doesn't appear to be close to that yet.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

HSquares2003

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2003, 08:09:03 PM »
Hey, Matt, SPIKE TV has to be the worst of the screen \"trash\" I've ever seen! The Joe Schmo bug in bottom left and the spraying Spike TV on the bottom right every friggin' 5 seconds is enough to make you NOT watch whatever they are promoting

obgameshow: WOF shouldn't tease us with quick glimpses of a new set, then remove it.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel's New Set
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2003, 09:42:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 11:17 AM\'] [quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 11:11 AM\'] How many additional sponsorships will they have to sell to pay for the new set?

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 The gift tag....etc.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Chelsea Thrasher

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2003, 10:57:59 PM »

clemon79

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2003, 02:52:33 AM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 05:09 PM\'] obgameshow: WOF shouldn't tease us with quick glimpses of a new set, then remove it. [/quote]
 We have no idea how long that item was on the site before it was posted here. You had plenty of time. Quit yer whining.

Matt Ottinger

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2003, 09:30:50 AM »
Hey, Matt, SPIKE TV has to be the worst of the screen \"trash\" I've ever seen! The Joe Schmo bug in bottom left and the spraying Spike TV on the bottom right every friggin' 5 seconds is enough to make you NOT watch whatever they are promoting
While I appreciate the agreement about Spike TV's enormous promo \"bugs\", my whole *point* is that there's no logic that goes, \"Man, that looks like a really, really interesting show that I would enjoy watching.  But because they ran the promos too many times for my taste, I think I won't tune in.  That'll show 'em.\"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.