Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's New 'Chain Reaction' Pilot(s)  (Read 15646 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN's New 'Chain Reaction' Pilot(s)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 04:53:54 AM »
Quite honestly...I'm surprised that GSN would even consider mounting a revival of this show...when's the last time reruns of it aired on GSN--April of '98?  

Not that I'm complaining or anything--I've always enjoyed the show, but one would think they'd pick a show that's slightly more memorable...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 06:30:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'114747\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 04:53 AM\']
Quite honestly...I'm surprised that GSN would even consider mounting a revival of this show...when's the last time reruns of it aired on GSN--April of '98?  
[/quote]
Correct.
Not that I'm complaining or anything--I've always enjoyed the show, but one would think they'd pick a show that's slightly more memorable...
They revived Lingo and Three's A Crowd, which are just as, if not, less memorable...I think that says enough right there. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Pyramid80

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 07:53:21 AM »
This sounds like a pretty awesome pilot!  I sure hope that they don't tweak it too much more, and that it sells!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 08:00:44 AM by Pyramid80 »

tvwxman

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 09:27:49 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'114745\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 02:56 AM\']
-I didn't see this but a fellow Invision board member swore to me he/she saw Michael Davies stick his head inside the studio for just a second during taping.  Make of that what you will.
[/quote]

Make nothing of it.... he was there, cause I spoke to him. He oversees all of his pilots.

The set is plain (REALLY plain), the gfx were slick.  And the more Tim Vincent strays from the prompter , the better he'll do. All in all, It's a nice little show that will make a nice little companion to Lingo.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 01:15:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'114747\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 04:53 AM\']Not that I'm complaining or anything--I've always enjoyed the show, but one would think they'd pick a show that's slightly more memorable...[/quote]
While some remakes benefit from nostalgic fondness, some remakes are simply good games that happen to have been done before.  This isn't going to be marketed as, "That game you loved for six months in 1980, and liked a lot when they did it again on cable."  This is going to be sold on its own merits, and the fact that a bunch of us are going to recognize it is just a bonus.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 04:20:03 PM »
It really sounds good. Not sure I like the blindfolds, but it still sounds like a fun format. Like Lingo, it's simple, easy to play along with, an good way to get their interactive formats going. I see this thing on GSN's schedule.

David

Monarx

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 04:27:59 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'114745\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 02:56 AM\']I don't recall Chuck Woolery ever plugging other GSN shows/hosts from a puzzle off of 'Lingo.'[/quote]

He made a passing reference to Greed when that word came up during a game of Lingo.

This sounds like a good show, and I'm looking forward to its debut.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 04:45:38 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'114745\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 02:56 AM\']
-I didn't see this but a fellow Invision board member swore to me he/she saw Michael Davies stick his head inside the studio for just a second during taping.  Make of that what you will.
[/quote]

I was present to see what might've been Michael Davies (with a growing beard), his production assistants and GSN prez Rich Cronin walking out from the elevator and heading into the studio, while other post-college grad aged, pretty Embassy Row chicks and the Invisioners (and Millionaire's Jason Block) were in the hallway or commissionary enjoying refreshments in between tapings.

In fact earlier, Rich and I were washing our hands in the restroom.  It's surreal experience being next to an executive of a U.S. cable television network.  (I remember what he looks like because I saw him on GSN"s "Who Wants to Be the Next Governor of California?" doing a presentation.)  Haha!

= = =

During the stopdowns, sitting behind me sounded like Embassy Row staffers.  I was innocently evesdropping on their convo, only getting information that the pre-taping and actual taping of VH1's World Series of Pop Culture is in 1 to 2 weeks and that ESPN's World Series of Darts is coming another two weeks after that, too.  No word from their mouths when they will actually premiere on their respective networks.

Other than have a nice time of the taping, It's pretty interesting and nice to learn what goes on behind the scenes and what makes a show...a show and how it's produced.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 04:47:49 PM by pianogeek »
-Sanford

tvwxman

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 05:00:14 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'114804\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 04:45 PM\']
In fact earlier, Rich and I were washing our hands in the restroom.  It's surreal experience being next to an executive of a U.S. cable television network.  (I remember what he looks like because I saw him on GSN"s "Who Wants to Be the Next Governor of California?" doing a presentation.)  Haha!
[/quote]

Holy Smokes.

No foolin', but i'm in the restroom @ Sony , and i'm looking at this guy (for a quick second, i'm serious) standing at the stall next to me....like I know him. Believe me , i'm not the kinda guy to start a conversation while i'm doing 'personal business'.

Looking at photos now, I'm convinced it was him.

That's what you call a 'missed opportunity'.  Ironic, isn't it? :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 05:00:28 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

The Pyramids

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 05:12:46 PM »
I just watched a tape of the original (I have the day off). Its a good show and I hope the pilot sells in time for a summer premier.

By the way, this may have been the 'classic' Ian Valentine said they were looking at in a tvgameshows.net interview last fall.

trainman

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2006, 10:58:32 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'114745\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 11:56 PM\']Every time the chain reactions letters were going (in an electronic effect similar to that of the old train schedules flipping on a board)...
[/quote]

The "game show scoring display" fans here would know that as a Solari board -- actually, so would I, obviously, as a "train station departure time display" fan.

Allow me to add to the chorus of thanks for the detailed report!
trainman is a man of trains

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2006, 11:10:01 PM »
Were there any motorized spotlights?

tvwxman

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 04:30:10 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'114834\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 11:10 PM\']
[/quote]

Ha ha.....there was no friggin budget for motorized spotlights, or, hell, any motorized anything for that matter.

They're using a friggin blindfold because they don't want to build a podium with hidden displays on it for the two side players to use in the bonus round...they're looking at the clues on off camera monitors....Cute for a blindfold joke, but c'mon , GSN , spend a dollar for pete's sake!
-------------

Matt

Gus

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 10:52:13 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'114851\' date=\'Mar 31 2006, 04:30 AM\']
They're using a friggin blindfold because they don't want to build a podium with hidden displays on it for the two side players to use in the bonus round...they're looking at the clues on off camera monitors....Cute for a blindfold joke, but c'mon , GSN , spend a dollar for pete's sake!
[/quote]

It was a pilot. Done on the quick, right? Not a lot of time to build a fancy concealed-monitor podium. Besides, I think they were more interested in testing the format on some kind of set rather than creating visuals, which they can do easily if it gets picked up.

My common sense tells me that if they do pick it up, they'll actually have the time and the budget to do it properly - sans blindfold and with a slightly more than minimalist set - and they probably (hopefully) will.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:52:54 AM by Gus »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 03:39:28 PM »

Ha ha.....there was no friggin budget for motorized spotlights, or, hell, any motorized anything for that matter.
Well then it couldn't have been a Michael Davies production. Was there any eerie music?