Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Peter Tomarken GSN Tribute Information  (Read 6199 times)

zachhoran

Peter Tomarken GSN Tribute Information
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 09:00:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 08:47 AM\']
 This Michael Larsen guy was one freaky person.  Counting all of his bills to find two matching serial numbers?  Get a Life ;)
[snapback]112988[/snapback]
[/quote]

It might seem a little odd to you, but in November 1984, five months after the Larsen shows aired, $ale of the Century had a contest where if the six numbers making up the players' final scores matched six digits of the serial number on a dollar bill a home viewer sent in, they could win up to $30K. That could be the contest which was described in the documentary.

dad1153

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 09:31:25 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 10:00 AM\']...$ale of the Century had a contest where if the six numbers making up the players' final scores matched six digits of the serial number on a dollar bill a home viewer sent in, they could win up to $30K. That could be the contest which was described in the documentary.[/quote]

The documentary mentioned that it was a radio contest Larson heard about, but I sincerely doubt any radio stations could afford such an outlandish payoff.  Maybe what the documentary meant to say was that he heard on the radio about the '$ale' contest, but they cut out the reference to the Reg Grundy show because it's not something they have.

tvwxman

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 09:48:28 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 09:31 AM\']The documentary mentioned that it was a radio contest Larson heard about, but I sincerely doubt any radio stations could afford such an outlandish payoff.  Maybe what the documentary meant to say was that he heard on the radio about the '$ale' contest, but they cut out the reference to the Reg Grundy show because it's not something they have.
[snapback]112992[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're serious? That's a long way to go for conspiracy theory.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 09:52:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 08:47 AM\']

Finally saw the docu.  I don't think it really needed to be stretched out 2 hours,  but it was a fun little one to watch.  This Michael Larsen guy was one freaky person.  Counting all of his bills to find two matching serial numbers?  Get a Life ;)
[/quote]

Adrienne Pettijohn, whom I believe worked as a production assistant on PYL, was interviewed in the Big Bucks documenary airing last night. This morning, she turns up as one of the impostors in round two of today's airing of TTTT90.

uncamark

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 12:29:49 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 08:00 AM\'][quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 08:47 AM\']
 This Michael Larsen guy was one freaky person.  Counting all of his bills to find two matching serial numbers?  Get a Life ;)
[/quote]

It might seem a little odd to you, but in November 1984, five months after the Larsen shows aired, $ale of the Century had a contest where if the six numbers making up the players' final scores matched six digits of the serial number on a dollar bill a home viewer sent in, they could win up to $30K. That could be the contest which was described in the documentary.
[snapback]112989[/snapback]
[/quote]

And a similar home game was the feature of "Top Dollar," a word game based on Ghost that was the first Heatter-Quigley series, which aired on CBS in the late 50s after the quiz scandals--the network's print ads for the show boasted "A dollar in your pocket right now could be worth $10,000."

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 02:31:24 AM »
I can't believe you guys are forgetting NBC's "Lucky Partners" with host Carl Cordell from 58.  The premise of the show was to match serial numbers of dollar bills.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 02:38:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 11:31 PM\']I can't believe you guys are forgetting NBC's "Lucky Partners" with host Carl Cordell from 58.  The premise of the show was to match serial numbers of dollar bills.
[snapback]113112[/snapback]
[/quote]
Friendly hint: When you say something like "I can't believe you guys are forgetting" and then cite some obscure show that the majority of the members here don't remember and/or weren't alive for, the comparisons people are gonna draw are gonna be to Zach Horan.

If that's what you want, great.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 03:18:11 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 02:38 AM\']Friendly hint: When you say something like "I can't believe you guys are forgetting" and then cite some obscure show that the majority of the members here don't remember and/or weren't alive for, the comparisons people are gonna draw are gonna be to Zach Horan.

If that's what you want, great.
[snapback]113113[/snapback]
[/quote]
Honestly, I took it as Jimmy offering a tongue-in-cheek joke, but could def. be wrong, but it had that touch of dry wit that you only get from Don Howard. ;-)

Jimmy?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 03:58:44 AM »
I gotta start using emoticons.  :)  At the very least, we all know about "Lucky Partners" now. :)

As far as Mr. Larsen is concerned, there have been many radio stations that have used that premise.  Generally there is an insurance policy in the unlikely case of a win, so they can offer that large of an amount knowing it probably won't happen.  I think we're leaping to the conclusion that he switched to $ale, when he probably was competing in a radio contest, as reported.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.