Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Rare Gameplay Mistake by Marco A. Regil  (Read 1811 times)

dad1153

A Rare Gameplay Mistake by Marco A. Regil
« on: March 21, 2006, 12:57:19 AM »
Today on the 699th episode of 100 Mexicanos Dijeron (the 700th show airs today, 3/21), the usually trouble-free Marco Antonio Regil put his feet into it big time twice[/u] during the Fast Money round on the first half of the show.  For the few here that don't know this is the Televisa-produced, Freemantle-sanctioned Mexican version of Family Feud aired in the States by Telefutura, so the usual rules of 'Feud' apply for the most part.

During the first part of Fast Money the next-to-last of the five questions Marco Antonio asked the first contestant was 'Name a Type of Truck You Wouldn't Want to Drive.'  The contestant gave as an answer a Mexican slang word (VOLTEAR) that I'm not sure if it means a tow truck or a cement mixing truck (or neither).  Regardless, she got zero or two points (not sure) and went back to join the family with approx. 55-60 points.  The second contestant came out from the isolation booth and, while standing with her back turned to the (blocked) answers but before her 20 sec. time started, Marco Antonio asked the first contestant 'Did I ask you if you'd like to or wouldn't like to drive that truck on that last question?'  Marco read the question wrong, it was supposed to be 'Name a Type of Truck You Would Want to Drive' (not 'wouldn't), but he compounded the mistake by reading the yet-to-be-asked question to the second contestant during casual banter in-between contestants.

Marco Antonio caught his mistake almost immediately and, while he joked his way around it, was obviously mortified.  By the time we came to that same next-to-last question for the second contestant the family had accumulated a paltry 77 points.  At that point Marco Antonio asked the first contestant if, knowing now how the question was meant to be read, she wanted to stick with the answer she gave or give a new one.  The contestant changed her answer to 'Passenger' (as in 'passenger truck') and that netted 24 points for a cumulative total (before the last question was read) of 99 points.  The family went on to accumulate 140-something points and lost the Fast Money, but went on to play and defeat the champion family on the 2nd half of the show (where they lost Fast Money for the 2nd time).  No idea (since it hasn't aired if it happened) if the family will be asked to come back because of this emcee-induced faux-pa.

Now, did something like this ever happen and made it on the air on any of the American versions of 'Feud'?  Or is this such an egrarious mistake that it would warrant stopping tape and starting over with a new survey?  I was surprised the Mexican version of this show kept on trucking despite the host giving the 2nd contestant the huge advantage of knowing one of the five Fast Money survey questions ahead of time (which obviously she didn't take advantage of).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 01:00:34 AM by dad1153 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 01:11:31 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' date=\'Mar 20 2006, 09:57 PM\']Now, did something like this ever happen and made it on the air on any of the American versions of 'Feud'?  Or is this such an egrarious mistake that it would warrant stopping tape and starting over with a new survey? 
[/quote]
I have no idea what the hell "egrarious" is, but there is no way that would ever make air  on English-language TV.

(I would say "in this country", but I'm not sure if 100MD, or indeed other Telefutura programming, is produced in the States or not.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dad1153

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 01:20:43 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 02:11 AM\']I have no idea what the hell "egrarious" is, but there is no way that would ever make air  on English-language TV.

(I would say "in this country", but I'm not sure if 100MD, or indeed other Telefutura programming, is produced in the States or not.)[/quote]

Pardon my bad English (I'm new here, not that either have anything to do with each other).  And '100 Mexicanos Dijeron' tapes in Televisa's Mexican studios so technically it's a foreign show aired in the States (not an American one even though it's based on the original 'Feud' format).  Except for Mexican soccer, telenovelas, dubbed movies and '100MD' Telefutura's in-house shows ('Vivo Y Directo,' a half-hour sports newscast at midnight, Boxing matches on Friday nights, etc.) are all produced and done here in the States

remlap

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:57:16 AM »
Hi, sorry for this confussion but Telefutura airs 100 Mexicanos Dijeron on how long a delay because XEW-TV has cancelled it since ive watched XEW-TV recently here in Wales and it has the day time version of thier Deal or No Deal.

Thanks

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 09:47:32 PM »
Based on the scores, I don't see why they would be brought back--Fast Money is played against the house, and just giving them the top two answers for that question almost certainly wouldn't have put them over 200. Give them a little more consolation money, maybe.

By the way, the word you wanted, I think, was "egregious". That's a ten-dollar word for most *native* English speakers, so I wouldn't gnash my teeth too much over it.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

jdhernandez

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 07:18:03 PM »
Just to totally clear things up, now that I'm finally with internet access...

...100 Mexicanos Dijeron taped in Mexico, and originally aired on Canal de las Estrellas until late in 2005 when the show finished its 5th season. The show has been cancelled, and now Vas O No Vas took over 100MD in its timeslot since...some time in December, 2005. (I'll have to check the archives some time on that one)

as for the "delay" factor, the shows that marked "700 programs" are from some time in 2004.
Telefutura actually aired the finale episode of 100MD some time last month, since we were coming close to the end of that run, anyway. So, my guess is that they went back to some episodes from way back when, and now we have reruns to enjoy. =)

...and finally, Marco Antonio has messed up a couple of times on air, that silly guy! Fortunately, when that occured in Dinero Rapido, the family was so far off that 200-point mark that it really did not matter at all, and the world was merry once again. Like many other hosts, he messes up, too...he just plays it off so danged well! That's why he's hosted Mexican game shows for something like 7+ years now. Here's hoping he gets to host another great game show format in Mexico some time soon!

PS: as per programma #700, AGTOT?
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

Allstar87

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 08:45:17 PM »
I was wondering why it had a 2004 copyright date; for a second I just thought I misread it. And I wish I knew it had ended; I would've taped the finale if I did. Oh well; it was a good show while it lasted. (It was on for about 4 or 5 years, right?)

dad1153

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 11:25:12 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Mar 23 2006, 08:18 PM\']...100 Mexicanos Dijeron taped in Mexico, and originally aired on Canal de las Estrellas until late in 2005 when the show finished its 5th season. The show has been cancelled, and now Vas O No Vas took over 100MD in its timeslot since...some time in December, 2005. (I'll have to check the archives some time on that one)[/quote]

NOOOOOOO!  That was my favorite contemporary version of 'Feud' on TV (I can't stand Karn or the hyped-up crowds of the syndicated 'Feud' so I don't even bother to watch it), and now you're telling me it's gone?  Darn it, I guess it ran its course.  When it started in 2000 (and Telefutura started showing it in '01) the contestants on '100MD' were clearly not familiar with 'Feud' gameplay, so they gave some of the most jaw-droppingly hilarious bad answers in (Spanish) gameshow history.  Combined with Marco Antonio Regil's quick wit and some pretty good production values (not on the prize money but on the set design and camera work) these early days of '100MD' gave way over the years to a polished foreign adaptation of an American gameshow that is heads and tails above the current incarnation of the show.  Dawson 'Feud' remains king, but Combs and Marco Antonio Regil's versions rank a pretty close second (which is remarkable considering Mexican gameshows are as appealing to me as GSN credit-crunching the classics).