Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Super Password"  (Read 2920 times)

b_masters9

"Super Password"
« on: March 09, 2006, 03:07:41 PM »
I have a couple of questions about the bonus game of "Super Password"--

1. First, after a failed attempt to win the jackpot in play at that time, $5,000 was added to the jackpot. Why did Bert say, after a failed attempt, "Next time, Super Password will be worth $5,000 more, or X" (X=the new amount of the jackpot, or $5,000 if the jackpot was won) instead of keeping it simple and saying "Next time, Super Password will be worth X"?

2. Second, in addition to it being the title of the show, why was the bonus game also called "Super Password"? I've always wondered about that.

Ben

Brandon Brooks

"Super Password"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:17:15 PM »
[quote name=\'b_masters9\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 03:07 PM\']I have a couple of questions about the bonus game of "Super Password"--

1. First, after a failed attempt to win the jackpot in play at that time, $5,000 was added to the jackpot. Why did Bert say, after a failed attempt, "Next time, Super Password will be worth $5,000 more, or X" (X=the new amount of the jackpot, or $5,000 if the jackpot was won) instead of keeping it simple and saying "Next time, Super Password will be worth X"?

2. Second, in addition to it being the title of the show, why was the bonus game also called "Super Password"? I've always wondered about that.

Ben
[snapback]112310[/snapback]
[/quote]
Because it is the way it is?  Seriously, I strongly think that any answer you receive will be purely speculative.

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Super Password"
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 03:38:03 PM »
[quote name=\'b_masters9\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 12:07 PM\']1. First, after a failed attempt to win the jackpot in play at that time, $5,000 was added to the jackpot. Why did Bert say, after a failed attempt, "Next time, Super Password will be worth $5,000 more, or X" (X=the new amount of the jackpot, or $5,000 if the jackpot was won) instead of keeping it simple and saying "Next time, Super Password will be worth X"?
[/quote]
The answer I'm gonna go with here is "'cuz".
I think the conceit was that the front game was "Password" and the bonus game was "Super Password". I, personally, wouldn't have had a problem with "Alphabetics". It also  gave them a good excuse to put the logo on the set somewhere other than the puzzle board.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

"Super Password"
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 03:40:10 PM »
[quote name=\'b_masters9\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 03:07 PM\']I have a couple of questions about the bonus game of "Super Password"--

[/quote]

Wow.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Super Password"
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 03:59:19 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 12:40 PM\']Wow.
[snapback]112313[/snapback]
[/quote]
I dunno that it's all THAT wow-worthy, but it's an awfully silly question, to be sure.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FeudDude

"Super Password"
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 04:30:38 PM »
[quote name=\'b_masters9\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 03:07 PM\']1. First, after a failed attempt to win the jackpot in play at that time, $5,000 was added to the jackpot. Why did Bert say, after a failed attempt, "Next time, Super Password will be worth $5,000 more, or X" (X=the new amount of the jackpot, or $5,000 if the jackpot was won) instead of keeping it simple and saying "Next time, Super Password will be worth X"?
[/quote]

Because he figured that the audience would be able to do the math themselves?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 04:31:00 PM by FeudDude »

aaron sica

"Super Password"
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 05:16:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 03:59 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 12:40 PM\']Wow.
[/quote]
I dunno that it's all THAT wow-worthy, but it's an awfully silly question, to be sure.
[snapback]112314[/snapback]
[/quote]

Most definitely. Next thing you know, he'll be asking something like why Bob Barker doesn't say "spayed AND neutered" instead of "spayed or neutered".

FOXSportsFan

"Super Password"
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 06:06:41 PM »
I'm gonna try to give a straight answer to pregunta numero uno.

I think he said it the way he did because it was probably scripted that way early in the run on a cue card or prompter or something.  Either that or it's a classic case of Convy Repetition.  I mean if there's a Super Password drinking game, you have to include listings for "how he explains Super Password", "every time he says 'if you're ready to go'", and "times he says the password".

Steve McClellan

"Super Password"
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 06:11:13 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 03:06 PM\']"times he says the password".[/quote]
And don't forget "times he says that was the first time he'd ever said the password".

Robert Hutchinson

"Super Password"
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 09:51:10 PM »
To add to the attempt at a serious reply--I would guess that it was scripted that way to help along the less clueful and/or the channel surfer. If all you say is "next time the jackpot will be $20,000", a few people aren't going to realize that it's a progressive jackpot that goes up by $5K each time it's not won. And if you've put a progressive jackpot into your show, it can only follow that you think it will attract viewers. Thus the explication.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

sshuffield70

"Super Password"
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 10:00:34 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 04:16 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 03:59 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 12:40 PM\']Wow.
[/quote]
[snapback]112314[/snapback]
[/quote]

Most definitely. Next thing you know, he'll be asking something like why Bob Barker doesn't say "spayed AND neutered" instead of "spayed or neutered".
[snapback]112322[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is Bob Barker reminding you to control the game show host population.  Have your Barker spayed and neutered.  Goodbye, everybody!

b_masters9

"Super Password"
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 04:17:38 AM »
Thank you for all the responses. I do appreciate them.

Ben

cmjb13

"Super Password"
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 06:59:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 09:51 PM\']To add to the attempt at a serious reply--I would guess that it was scripted that way to help along the less clueful and/or the channel surfer. If all you say is "next time the jackpot will be $20,000", a few people aren't going to realize that it's a progressive jackpot that goes up by $5K each time it's not won. And if you've put a progressive jackpot into your show, it can only follow that you think it will attract viewers. Thus the explication.
[snapback]112344[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wouldn't it make sense for Bert to say this if a viewer tuned in right after the bonus round was over? If the viewer doesn't catch how much they played for and could have just won, simple math could tell them (next time-5k)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Clay Zambo

"Super Password"
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 09:24:54 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 03:38 PM\'][quote name=\'b_masters9\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 12:07 PM\']2. Second, in addition to it being the title of the show, why was the bonus game also called "Super Password"? I've always wondered about that.
[/quote]
I think the conceit was that the front game was "Password" and the bonus game was "Super Password".
[snapback]112312[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which would have worked 'til they replaced the bizarre "x" slide covering the puzzle answer with one that said, "Super Password."  Many's the time Bert referred to the puzzle answer as "the Super Password," and one had to wonder how many parts of a show could have the same name.

But, hey, I liked the show then, I like it now, and I'd be first in line to watch it if it were revived tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 09:27:26 AM by Clay Zambo »
czambo@mac.com