Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weekend Family Feud  (Read 5826 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Weekend Family Feud
« on: February 22, 2006, 12:59:34 AM »
Tbis weekend featured the fifth game of the Bagby family, who had as yet won $28,000 or so. I spent far too much time wrapping my head around how a family can win that much money without either some wacky accounting or odd rules, since it's still $5 a point, $300 to win and $10,000 as the jackpot.

Someone put an end to my sleepless nights! What on earth was up with that?
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Weekend Family Feud
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »
I couldn't simulate math that got me there either. My guess would be they won a few thousand in a previous run and were brought back later? For the longest time I thought each square in Gold Run was worth $100 win or lose when a GR winner had a total of $6,500 flashing on the screen...until I read later they were brought back, having won one game of a previous match.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

zachhoran

Weekend Family Feud
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 09:45 AM\']I couldn't simulate math that got me there either. My guess would be they won a few thousand in a previous run and were brought back later? For the longest time I thought each square in Gold Run was worth $100 win or lose when a GR winner had a total of $6,500 flashing on the screen...until I read later they were brought back, having won one game of a previous match.

-Jason
[snapback]110847[/snapback]
[/quote]

Is the episode in question Dawson daytime or Combs(syndie run is all that airs of Combs Feud at this point, right?) Dawson ABC Feud never had a family past the $25K mark until the final year. Both Combs CBS and SYndie had a five show limit, not counting TofCs, until the Bullseye round was added. The episodes airing on GSN predate Bullseye, right?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Weekend Family Feud
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 10:36:58 AM »
It is in fact the Combs syndicated run. No big horking Bullseye prop in sight. One thought that crossed my mind (as well as Jason's apparently) would be that the family was brought back, since a win or loss in a 'thrown game' (where an audience member blurts out an answer, say) wouldn't count either way. That way you could stick around for one or two extra shows, but there's about $6,000 unaccounted for, if you assume $300 per victory and a botched Fast Money. It doesn't add up.
Travis L. Eberle

Robert Hutchinson

Weekend Family Feud
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 06:07:59 PM »
My strong suspicion: someone just failed at addition. Beyond that,  the only thing I could come up with is the jackpot going from $5K to $10K during the family's run--don't suppose that happened, did it?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Weekend Family Feud
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 06:12:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 03:07 PM\']My strong suspicion: someone just failed at addition. Beyond that,  the only thing I could come up with is the jackpot going from $5K to $10K during the family's run--don't suppose that happened, did it?
[snapback]110900[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is what I thought of, and it would add up if they won one at $5K and two at $10K, then a little more than $1500 for the five wins, and two bonus losses at ~$750 apiece would do it. But I couldn't remember the history of the Combs Feud bonus round, so I couldn't remember if it WAS $5K at any point.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Weekend Family Feud
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 06:26:26 PM »
I thought the daytime version was a $5,000 pot; and the syndicated version a $10,000 pot (for both Dawson and Combs)...perhaps they were on the daytime version; and for whatever reason, brought backon the syndicated.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

Weekend Family Feud
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 07:02:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 06:26 PM\']I thought the daytime version was a $5,000 pot; and the syndicated version a $10,000 pot (for both Dawson and Combs)...perhaps they were on the daytime version; and for whatever reason, brought backon the syndicated.
[snapback]110904[/snapback]
[/quote]

Daytime Combs Feud was $5K in Fast Money until it expanded to an hour and added Bullseye in mid-1992. Syndie was $10K in FM until Bullseye was introduced at the beginning of the 1992-93 season. It seemed odd to me at the time that they didn't have progressive jackpots on Combs Feud like other game shows of the era(SP, NYSI89, Scrabble, etc.) had.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Weekend Family Feud
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 12:35:17 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 08:02 PM\']It seemed odd to me at the time that they didn't have progressive jackpots on Combs Feud like other game shows of the era(SP, NYSI89, Scrabble, etc.) had.
[snapback]110910[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't really see anything odd with that, maybe because I never figured that Family Feud was one of those shows where accumulating pots would've worked. Don't get me wrong, I like the progressive jackpot (anyone who knows me from the old FG board might remember my fondness for them), but on certain shows I don't think they fit (Feud, of course, being one of 'em).

(Just because I can't resist wondering what if, I'd say if you absolutely had to have a running pot on Feud, maybe they could do/could've done it the way Raffertybusters and Hot Potato had it, with the reset with every new champion.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Weekend Family Feud
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 02:28:19 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Feb 23 2006, 10:35 PM\']Don't get me wrong, I like the progressive jackpot (anyone who knows me from the old FG board might remember my fondness for them), but on certain shows I don't think they fit (Feud, of course, being one of 'em).[/quote]My dislike of the progressive jackpot becomes apparent on a show like Super Password, where the Alphabetics pot rolls over for two weeks and a new champion comes in, takes the money and loses in the next game, winning about $51,000. A champion who comes in on a $5,000 jackpot will only have a chance at about $28,000, and through nothing more than sheer luck won't have a chance at anything more than that.

I would submit that any show that had a progressive jackpot would have worked just as well without one. Family Feud was never about the money anyway. That $10,000 jackpot is being split five ways.
Travis L. Eberle

Don Howard

Weekend Family Feud
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 09:33:57 AM »
I found the Winners' Big Money Game progressive payout system on $ale of the Century to be a good one. First trip worth $5000. Win that or no, the second trip is worth $6000 and so on up to the car and $50000.
For those who prefer the traditional jackpot payoffs, there was always the In$tant Ca$h, with $1000 added per day until won by whoever and then reset to $1000.
I do admit to bias, of course, because for me, that show could do no wrong.
But, yes, for Family Feud, while winning money is always the top objective for the contestants, to the viewer (at least at my house) that show was more about watching the fun than seeing big wins at Fast Money--that was just icing on the cake.