Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker Re-Ups  (Read 12682 times)

Matt Ottinger

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 02:27:20 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 02:19 PM\']Sure, anything's possible, but if he does become host (and I'm talking full-time, not a sub) and I'm serious here, I'm flying out to Mid-Michigan and buying you dinner at the best spot in town.[/quote]
I'm actually OK with Outback, though "best" is probably Stillwater Grill, and that's closer to my house anyway.

But no, that's not a bet I want to take.  At this point, I doubt that there's anybody who's even remotely considered a favorite for the gig. And obviously you have insider knowledge, so that's a sucker bet anyway.  I'm just saying that there's a difference between quashing a rumor that he's being groomed for the gig and saying with absolute confidence that there's absolutely no way he'll be considered for the job if Barker hangs it up five years from now.

If Fields is interested in the job (and even that decision might change with time) he would have to have seriously napalmed some bridges along the way not to be given the courtesy of a tryout.  That fact alone would at the very least put him ahead of, say, Chris Lemon, no matter how entertaining Clock Game might become otherwise.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 02:32:26 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 01:42 PM\']"And now, here is the star of The Price is Right... CHRIS LEMON!"

You have to admit that watching idiots play Clock Game would become much more interesting. :-)
[snapback]110866[/snapback]
[/quote]

I dunno if i'm the core demographic here, but I'd watch.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 02:42:15 PM »
Are you over 80 and diabetic, or are you in the market for a mobility scooter?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 02:55:33 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 11:42 AM\']
Are you over 80 and diabetic, or are you in the market for a mobility scooter?
[snapback]110877[/snapback]
[/quote]
I assure you, if I ever got hold of Price, we'd nip that demographic in the bud in the first twelve weeks. We'd have ads featuring scantily-clad nubile young women before you knew it.

(We'd also have to implement a national program to clip the wings off of all of the pigs, but I digress.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2006, 04:28:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 02:55 PM\']I assure you, if I ever got hold of Price, we'd nip that demographic in the bud in the first twelve weeks. We'd have ads featuring scantily-clad nubile young women before you knew it.
(We'd also have to implement a national program to clip the wings off of all of the pigs, but I digress.)
[snapback]110880[/snapback]
[/quote]
You just blew your shot at the Ralph Edwards award.

clemon79

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 04:31:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 01:28 PM\']You just blew your shot at the Ralph Edwards award.
[snapback]110890[/snapback]
[/quote]
Heh. And THAT's a speech that nobody would skip to go eat dinner. :)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2006, 04:58:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 03:31 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 01:28 PM\']You just blew your shot at the Ralph Edwards award.
[snapback]110890[/snapback]
[/quote]
Heh. And THAT's a speech that nobody would skip to go eat dinner. :)
[snapback]110892[/snapback]
[/quote]
Make sure they don't serve the gazpacho during the speech.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2006, 05:39:51 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 01:42 PM\']"And now, here is the star of The Price is Right... CHRIS LEMON!"

You have to admit that watching idiots play Clock Game would become much more interesting. :-)
[snapback]110866[/snapback]
[/quote]

That would be *such* fun to watch. Even more fun if the six contestants would be some of the forum's "finest", I would even PAY to see Lemon rip them apart.

JayDLewis

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2006, 05:44:20 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 01:36 PM\']
I'm not sure he's going to realize it's time to hang it up.
What is needed is for Fremantle and CBS to get together at the appropriate time and tell him "It's time." If he balks, let him go.
[snapback]110865[/snapback]
[/quote]

But doesn't Barker own a piece of Price? This would make it tough and potentially ugly to get rid of him. (Ted Turner comes to mind...)
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

BrandonFG

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2006, 07:05:36 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 05:39 PM\']That would be *such* fun to watch. Even more fun if the six contestants would be some of the forum's "finest", I would even PAY to see Lemon rip them apart.
[snapback]110896[/snapback]
[/quote]
At that point, I would pay to see Chris pull a "Happy Gilmore". :-P

Oh, and Chris, you must berate any contestant who outbids someone by a dollar. Pleeeeeeeeease? ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2006, 07:09:44 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 04:05 PM\']Oh, and Chris, you must berate any contestant who outbids someone by a dollar. Pleeeeeeeeease? ;-)
[snapback]110913[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why?

I mock dumbassery, not good strategy. I would be more likely to mock someone who DIDN'T bid a buck over someone else if they had last bid. To me, there are two logical moves in that seat: one dollar over the bid you think is currently winning, and $1 if you think they are all over. Anything else is depriving you of breathing room.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 07:10:09 PM by clemon79 »

zachhoran

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2006, 07:10:33 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 12:41 PM\']

And I'm of two minds about Barker's announcement--I'm glad he's hanging in there, but I'm not sure he's going to realize it's time to hang it up. 

[snapback]110860[/snapback]
[/quote]

One wonders if Trebek or Sajak(who did made hints about retiring from WOF a couple of years ago) will retire before Barker does?

BrandonFG

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2006, 07:17:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 07:09 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 04:05 PM\']Oh, and Chris, you must berate any contestant who outbids someone by a dollar. Pleeeeeeeeease? ;-)
[snapback]110913[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why?

I mock dumbassery, not good strategy. I would be more likely to mock someone who DIDN'T bid a buck over someone else if they had last bid. To me, there are two logical moves in that seat: one dollar over the bid you think is currently winning, and $1 if you think they are all over. Anything else is depriving you of breathing room.
[snapback]110915[/snapback]
[/quote]
Honestly, I've always felt that it was more of a screw your neighbor type move. I understand where you're coming from, I guess I also see it as a "chicken" way out, almost like a desperate move. From most of the contestants I've seen do it, it looks more like a "Oh shit! I can't think of a better price, so I'll just go a dollar higher!"

I honestly never even thought of the strategy, maybe because the average TPiR contestant prolly can't even spell strategy. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2006, 07:35:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 12:17 PM\']"$800."
"Lower."
"$900."
"Oh, fer f**k's sake. Stop the clock."
[snapback]110869[/snapback]
[/quote]
"$800."

"Lower."

"$700."

"Higher."

"$600."

"Wow." *lets clock run out*
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 07:35:23 PM by whoserman »

clemon79

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2006, 07:51:44 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 04:17 PM\']Honestly, I've always felt that it was more of a screw your neighbor type move.
[/quote]
This just in: it's not a friendly game. Of COURSE it's a screw your neighbor move. But you have to do it because you're a fool if you assume he wouldn't screw you if the tables were turned.
From most of the contestants I've seen do it, it looks more like a "Oh shit! I can't think of a better price, so I'll just go a dollar higher!"
Maybe, but pretty often when I see it, the player asks for the bids to be repeated, and then contemplates, and makes an intelligent, rational, and correct bid, in direct antithesis of everything we know about the average TPiR contestant. :)