Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker Re-Ups  (Read 12675 times)

davemackey

Barker Re-Ups
« on: February 21, 2006, 03:14:01 PM »
As reported by golden-road.net and confirmed by its webmaster, Bob Barker has begun telling his audiences that he's signed for another five years doing "The Price is Right" - which will keep him working through the show's 39th year AND his 87th!

Gromit

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:57:58 PM »
Wow. I wasn't expecting that.

God, I hope something doesn't happen at a taping. Some of those contestants manhandle him so much.

FOXSportsFan

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
Can we keep it real here folks?  Barker will not last 5 more years.  No way.  This season he's been slipping a lot more this year than he has in...let's see what's a fair time to gauge...the last decade.  He'll always be the W.G.M.C., but I don't see him being around as host for 5 more years.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 04:32:13 PM »
You have got to be kidding me. As much as I like Barker, and as much as he still has some gas left, five more years seems a bit too impossible for his limits. I could see him do at most 2 more years, but for him to go five?!

I wish him nothing but the best of luck, and hopefully something doesn't happen to him somewhere along the line.

DYosua

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 04:34:52 PM »
He just finished off a similar contract - it's a five year deal that is made one year at a time.

cmjb13

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »
This is no different than when he re-upped in 2001.

To reiterate, he will continue to do the show as long as he looks good and feels good. So the length of the contract doesn't mean squat.

Season 40?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

RichZ

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 05:49:13 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 04:03 PM\']Can we keep it real here folks?  Barker will not last 5 more years.  No way.  This season he's been slipping a lot more this year than he has in...let's see what's a fair time to gauge...the last decade.  He'll always be the W.G.M.C., but I don't see him being around as host for 5 more years.
[snapback]110790[/snapback]
[/quote]

Haven't we all been saying that for the better part of the last ten years?  Barker will call it quits when he feels it's time.  As for anyone to guess when that will be, no one really knows but him.

-Rick Z

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 06:01:06 PM »
[quote name=\'RichZ\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 02:49 PM\']Haven't we all been saying that for the better part of the last ten years?  Barker will call it quits when he feels it's time.
[snapback]110800[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which is fine and good, except with each passing year it's becoming more and more apparent that "when he feels it's time" and "when it actually WAS time" are two different things.

Fact is, he's getting very dangerously close to going out with a whimper instead of a bang with each on-air screwup, but I expect the fanbois don't care since they just see it as OMG MORE PRIZES GIVEN AWAY WHAT A GUY!!!!!ONE!!ELEVEN!!

Y'all realize this is gonna go on until he kicks, right? He'd be smarter to make a HUGE announcement that This Is My Last Season, and then he and the network milk the hell out of it all season long, and you run Bob's Final Show in primetime to a mammoth audience. It even feeds the ego, fer God's sake.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 06:58:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 06:01 PM\']Which is fine and good, except with each passing year it's becoming more and more apparent that "when he feels it's time" and "when it actually WAS time" are two different things.[/quote]
Barker's unofficial goal stated several years ago was to host until he reached his 50th consecutive year on television. Not sure what it will be now.
Fact is, he's getting very dangerously close to going out with a whimper instead of a bang with each on-air screwup, but I expect the fanbois don't care since they just see it as OMG MORE PRIZES GIVEN AWAY WHAT A GUY!!!!!ONE!!ELEVEN!!
I think deep down he's afraid of retiring. To a degree, the show keeps him active (instead of sitting at home & deteriorating mentally).

During a Monday taping last year, a camera went down right before the Showcase. He seemed very tired after going 15 minutes extra, which doesn't seem like a lot. But I don't know if that's because that cut into his normal nap time between shows.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 06:58:56 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 07:04:19 PM »
Forget all this speculation. Have they started rehearsing Rich Fields (WASHES MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP) or somebody else to take over the TV show? As a guy pushes 90, the odds of him pulling a Johnny Olson* become ever greater.

*With all due respect to the memory of the departed and dearly beloved Mr. Olson.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 07:05:32 PM by chris319 »

whewfan

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 07:12:24 PM »
Bob's official 50th anniversary will fall on December 31, 2006. Truth or Consequences debuted with him hosting on December 31, 1956.

To me, Bob is showing absolutely no signs of slowing down. I think most people that come to the show know that Bob is an 82 year old man, and not the dark haired Bob that could actually withstand some beating.

Still, Bob has the amazing stamina and mentality as Jack LaLanne has, and LaLanne just turned 91!

If Bob doesn't know when to hang up his mike, certainly Roger or CBS will find some dignified way to let him know.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 07:16:29 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 04:12 PM\']To me, Bob is showing absolutely no signs of slowing down.
[/quote]
Then you're not looking. Bottom line.
Still, Bob has the amazing stamina and mentality as Jack LaLanne has, and LaLanne just turned 91!
Did he celebrate by swimming across his pool with an anchor tied to his nutsack?
If Bob doesn't know when to hang up his mike, certainly Roger or CBS will find some dignified way to let him know.
They haven't yet. What makes you think that will change?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 07:47:35 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 07:04 PM\']Forget all this speculation. Have they started rehearsing Rich Fields (WASHES MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP) or somebody else to take over the TV show?
[snapback]110810[/snapback]
[/quote]
To officially put this rumor to rest...

No chance.

The Pyramids

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 07:58:25 PM »
The show, and Bob, are continuing so that's okay by me. Its a dumb cliche but I did not expect it to be this long. I remember something about how he wanted to stay on the show at least 'to the year 2000' and that was several years ago now.

FOXSportsFan

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 08:18:40 PM »
To those who think Rich is rehearsing to be Bob's fill in/replacement...there's a better chance of me getting that opportunity.  BTW, to you Fremantle employees, I am a capable person with talent like you would not believe...ah screw it.

Say, Mr. Lemon...don't the "fanbois" say eleventy-one instead of one, eleven?