Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What was the point?  (Read 4961 times)

wheelloon

What was the point?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 02:11:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 02:26 PM\']I didn't watch those shows that closely, but I thought the "X-paddles" were part of a rule change that said if you got a strike you were out for the round.  In other words, if you got a strike, and it came back around to you again (which it didn't do that often), they'd skip you and move on to the next person who didn't have a strike.  The obvious advantage is that one bad apple wouldn't be responsible for two lousy answers.
[snapback]110765[/snapback]
[/quote]

That crossed my mind at first, but I never saw a case during that time where that situation came up. Either way, whatever the rule was, it wasn't in place for long. It would be ridiculous enough to hold just one of those signs up, only to have it come doubly when the turn comes back to you and then you get another strike and have to hold up two of them...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
What was the point?
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 02:59:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 01:26 PM\']The obvious advantage is that one bad apple wouldn't be responsible for two lousy answers.
[/quote]
Cause you know, One Bad Apple spoils the main game, baby.

OBgameshow: Donny Osmond hosted Pyramid.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

FOXSportsFan

What was the point?
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 04:04:11 PM »
From the people who brought you Woolery Left Wheel, I say to Mr. Odor...Davidson left Pyramid?

GS Warehouse

What was the point?
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 04:25:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 02:59 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 01:26 PM\']The obvious advantage is that one bad apple wouldn't be responsible for two lousy answers.[/quote]Cause you know, One Bad Apple spoils the main game, baby.
[snapback]110782[/snapback]
[/quote]
[throws apples at Mark]

Didn't someone say sometime back there were these light-type geeeeeeezmos above and behind the families that helped Dawson/Combs keep track of the strikes?  If so, maybe they just weren't working, hence the X cards.

Matt Ottinger

What was the point?
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 04:36:04 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 05:25 PM\']Didn't someone say sometime back there were these light-type geeeeeeezmos above and behind the families that helped Dawson/Combs keep track of the strikes?  If so, maybe they just weren't working, hence the X cards.[/quote]
Again, I'm not 100% sure of my explanation. Still, it would seem to make a TON more sense that there was an actual game-play reason for the "X-Cards" rather than a need to rectify an off-camera malfunction.  There are plenty of low-tech off-camera ways of showing everybody involved how many strikes there are.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

HYHYBT

What was the point?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 09:40:16 AM »
The "lights aren't working" explanation was given on-air the first day. Doesn't make it true, I suppose, but it seems to me the strike paddles would be a way at least to have fun with it. I do know that it wasn't part of any rule change, and only lasted a couple of weeks. Certainly no longer than, for example, they left a couple of old light bulbs lying on the steps behind the left family once.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages