Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What was the point?  (Read 5035 times)

wheelloon

What was the point?
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:31:35 PM »
Going through my old game show tapes, and watching an episode of Combs FF right before they added the Bullseye Round, circa 1993, I again took notice of the red and white strike signs that individual contestants held up after they got a strike in the main rounds. To be quite frank, what the heck was the purpose of these things? Was it just so that the audience realized who got the strikes for each family, or so that the audience could look and laugh at the contestants like they were idiots, or was there some other kind of real purpose to them that I have completely missed over the years??
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
What was the point?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 07:43:40 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 04:31 PM\']I again took notice of the red and white strike signs that individual contestants held up after they got a strike in the main rounds.
[/quote]
I don't remember this at all, but then I didn't watch much of the Combs version. Someone want to explain this in a little more detail so I can confirm if this really is as idiotic and demeaning as I think?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

What was the point?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 07:59:47 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 07:31 PM\']Going through my old game show tapes, and watching an episode of Combs FF right before they added the Bullseye Round, circa 1993, I again took notice of the red and white strike signs that individual contestants held up after they got a strike in the main rounds. To be quite frank, what the heck was the purpose of these things? Was it just so that the audience realized who got the strikes for each family, or so that the audience could look and laugh at the contestants like they were idiots, or was there some other kind of real purpose to them that I have completely missed over the years??
[snapback]110690[/snapback]
[/quote]

IIRC it was something like what you describe. In 1993, Combs Feud had the Bullseye round(it started in June 1992 on the CBS hour-long daytime run and September 1992 on the syndicated run)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
What was the point?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 08:28:03 PM »
Let me rephrase that: someone OTHER than Horan. I don't read Horan posts anymore.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

What was the point?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 08:46:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 08:28 PM\']Let me rephrase that: someone OTHER than Horan. I don't read Horan posts anymore.
[snapback]110696[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for that life-changing knowledge

The Pyramids

What was the point?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 08:55:27 PM »
When GSN was running the final '92 half hour CBS shows two years ago for a few weeks (at least what I remember) contestants did hold strike signs they were supposed to display after a wrong answer. There was no point to it unless you wanted to call it window dressing. It came off as a dumb idea that I don't think lasted long.

zachhoran

What was the point?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 08:57:56 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 08:55 PM\']When GSN was running the final '92 half hour CBS shows two years ago for a few weeks (at least what I remember) contestants did hold strike signs they were supposed to display after a wrong answer. There was no point to it unless you wanted to call it window dressing. It came off as a dumb idea that I don't think lasted long.
[snapback]110699[/snapback]
[/quote]

The sportsmanship between families in the later years of Combs Feud was less than stellar, as opposed to say, the ABC Dawson run. I think those strike signs were an offshoot of that.

FOXSportsFan

What was the point?
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 09:04:26 PM »
I think it might have been discussed on this forum before...wasn't it an issue perhaps an issue with the 3 lights above the family sign that displays strikes to Ray that led to the debut of the X signs?

JayDLewis

What was the point?
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 09:06:24 PM »
This doesn't really add anything to the conversation, but the Japanese version of  Family Feud also had the strike paddles.

Perhaps the lights above the opposing family had gone out and this was a way to fix it temporarily? If I blow it, I have to hold the strike paddle. There no intimidation factor. They would have shown the other family howm any strikes we have, not the other way around.

And as to the sportsmanship debate...please. You're playing a game to win fairly large amounts of money. If you can't take someone waving a little plastic paddle with a X on it, mild jeering from your opponents or someone making an X wih their arms then perhaps you should find a less extreme game. Perhaps tiddly-winks is more your speed.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Brandon Brooks

What was the point?
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 09:29:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 08:28 PM\']Let me rephrase that: someone OTHER than Horan. I don't read Horan posts anymore.
[/quote]
Zachie's right.  I always felt it was quite stupid.  As for the argument "maybe the strike lights went out" is it really that hard to could to three?

Brandon Brooks

Casey

What was the point?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 09:48:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 09:29 PM\']Zachie's right.  I always felt it was quite stupid.  As for the argument "maybe the strike lights went out" is it really that hard to could to three?

Brandon Brooks
[snapback]110704[/snapback]
[/quote]
Certainly has to be a stupid gimmick.  If Dawson could deal with a broken fast money board and play the round on cue cards, someone certainly off stage could tell Ray how many strikes had been accrued...

Hastin

What was the point?
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 10:29:13 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 06:48 PM\']Certainly has to be a stupid gimmick.  If Dawson could deal with a broken fast money board and play the round on cue cards, someone certainly off stage could tell Ray how many strikes had been accrued...
[snapback]110705[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hell, someone could draw the Xes on a cue card, and then show it to the other family, and ray.
-Hastin :)

BrandonFG

What was the point?
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 10:49:53 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 08:46 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 08:28 PM\']Let me rephrase that: someone OTHER than Horan. I don't read Horan posts anymore.
[/quote]

[snapback]110698[/snapback]
[/quote]
Damn, Horan's been getting some slams in left and right this month, and on more than just Henke. Don't respond, Zach, it's a JOKE.

Back to the topic, I was thinking maybe the X lights were broke or something, since I swear I've read this topic before. Oh well, it seems like a corny idea, almost like something they'd do on Karn's version.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
What was the point?
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 04:21:20 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 08:49 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 08:46 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 08:28 PM\']Let me rephrase that: someone OTHER than Horan. I don't read Horan posts anymore.
[/quote]

[snapback]110698[/snapback]
[/quote]
Damn, Horan's been getting some slams in left and right this month, and on more than just Henke. Don't respond, Zach, it's a JOKE.

Back to the topic, I was thinking maybe the X lights were broke or something, since I swear I've read this topic before. Oh well, it seems like a corny idea, almost like something they'd do on Karn's version.
[snapback]110710[/snapback]
[/quote]
Chrissakes, Brandon, don't give 'em ideas.  It's bad enough as it is.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

Matt Ottinger

What was the point?
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 01:26:40 PM »
I didn't watch those shows that closely, but I thought the "X-paddles" were part of a rule change that said if you got a strike you were out for the round.  In other words, if you got a strike, and it came back around to you again (which it didn't do that often), they'd skip you and move on to the next person who didn't have a strike.  The obvious advantage is that one bad apple wouldn't be responsible for two lousy answers.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.