Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN January numbers  (Read 12221 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
GSN January numbers
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2006, 04:45:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 03:35 PM\']Actually one of the rare times when The Networks of NBC (specifically MSNBC) let you watch it live.
[snapback]111142[/snapback]
[/quote]
Actually, quite a bit was done live.  Almost all of the hockey (men's and women's) was shown live, as was a good chunk of the curling.  NBC just hoarded a lot of the good skiing/skating/snowboarding stuff for tape-delayed prime time.

I don't think this will be as much of an issue for the next Winter Games, even though the games will be in the Pacific Time Zone.

Doug
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 04:46:23 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN January numbers
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2006, 04:47:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 05:45 PM\']Actually, quite a bit was done live.  Almost all of the hockey (men's and women's) was shown live, as was a good chunk of the curling.  NBC just hoarded a lot of the good skiing/skating/snowboarding stuff for tape-delayed prime time.

I don't think this will be as much of an issue for the next Winter Games, even though the games will be in the Pacific Time Zone.

Doug
[snapback]111143[/snapback]
[/quote]

But IIRC, didn't NBC do the hoarding for Salt Lake as well? Or am I thinking of some other Olympic competition?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

GSN January numbers
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2006, 04:56:40 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 03:47 PM\']But IIRC, didn't NBC do the hoarding for Salt Lake as well? Or am I thinking of some other Olympic competition?
[snapback]111145[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, but that's not the point.  At least in Salt Lake, almost everything was shown live (whether on NBC or its cable partners).  NBC hoarded much of the skiing and snowboarding for prime-time, but the figure skating and speed skating events aired as they happened (not to mention the hockey and curling).

So we won't know that Sasha Cohen (or the next big U.S. figure skating hope) fell twice before it actually airs next Olympics.  That should translate to bigger ratings.  As Teddy Greenstein so eloquently put it in the Chicago Tribune:

These days "tape-delay" translates roughly to "everyone already knows the result."
Doug
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 04:57:49 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN January numbers
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 05:28:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 01:35 PM\'][quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 02:18 PM\']By the way, congrats to Team Fenson for the medal. I followed the match on the Internet, and it looks like it was an interesting test of nerves.[/quote]
Actually one of the rare times when The Networks of NBC (specifically MSNBC) let you watch it live.
[snapback]111142[/snapback]
[/quote]
That said, the Gold Medal Match is on right now on CNBC, tape delayed. I saw it live on CBC earlier this morning.

(And for once this is a blessing, as I turned it on this morning JUST in time to see...only the last rock of the sixth end. So I'm Tivoing now so I can see the entire end.)
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 01:56 PM\']So we won't know that Sasha Cohen (or the next big U.S. figure skating hope) fell twice before it actually airs next Olympics. 
[/quote]
Speak for yourself. I have the utmost confidence that NBC will find a way to tape delay it for the West Coast, which is particularly disgusting to me considering the event will not only take place in my time zone, but three hours from me by car.

And CBC isn't gonna be there to bail me out, since the Olympic rights for 2010 move to CTV.

And now I think I need to go sob a little.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

GSN January numbers
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 04:28 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 01:56 PM\']So we won't know that Sasha Cohen (or the next big U.S. figure skating hope) fell twice before it actually airs next Olympics. 
[/quote]
Speak for yourself. I have the utmost confidence that NBC will find a way to tape delay it for the West Coast, which is particularly disgusting to me considering the event will not only take place in my time zone, but three hours from me by car.
[snapback]111150[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sorry.  Forgot all about that aspect of it (obviously).

I assume everything in SLC was delayed for you?  You'd think that if the networks would show MNF/SNF, the World Series, March Madness, the NBA Finals and/or the Stanley Cup (among others) live to the Pacific Time Zone that NBC would come up with a way to air the Olympics live to the West Coast as well.

Doug
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 05:41:27 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug

clemon79

GSN January numbers
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2006, 06:02:17 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 02:40 PM\']I assume everything in SLC was delayed for you?  You'd think that if the networks would show MNF/SNF, the World Series, March Madness, the NBA Finals and/or the Stanley Cup (among others) live to the Pacific Time Zone that NBC would come up with a way to air the Olympics live to the West Coast as well.
[/quote]
I honestly don't remember. I wanna say the hockey was indeed live, but as with this tournament, it was easy for it to be so, as the midweek games were shuttled off to one of the cable channels, and the USA/CAN gold-medal game was on the weekend and therefore easy for NBC to air live, but I'm pretty sure that the figure skating and whatnot that NBC hoarded for prime time was not because NBC was so desperately married to the concept of it-must-air-in-prime-time-even-if-that-screws-the-West-Coast-by-tape-delaying.

That's the problem - NBC is so dependent on that stuff to do monster ratings (and I'm sure it gives them an excuse to suck even more money out of advertisers) that they feel it has to air in prime time nationwide. And it's probably a reasonable gambit, since the target audience for the figure skating are the soccer moms who don't read sports websites and whatnot and therefore aren't in a position to get it spoiled for them anyhow.

(I watched FAR more of the coverage on CBC anyhow, save for the mid-week hockey games, which I watched at work on either CNBC or MSNBC, I don't remember.)

My comment was more pessimism towards NBC over their interest in Doing The Right Thing than anything.

melman1

GSN January numbers
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 07:38:34 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 11:18 AM\']By the way, congrats to Team Fenson
[/quote]
A curious way to refer to the US team, inasmuch as Mr. Fenson kicked his own brother (apparently the second best US curler) off of his team.  NBC had only a superficial discussion of this - they allowed Fenson to get away with saying "it's a private matter".

http://www.startribune.com/120/story/241342.html

Personally I'd like to see the brother cash in somehow.  It appears he got screwed.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

clemon79

GSN January numbers
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 07:48:45 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 04:38 PM\'][quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 11:18 AM\']By the way, congrats to Team Fenson
[/quote]
A curious way to refer to the US team, inasmuch as Mr. Fenson kicked his own brother (apparently the second best US curler) off of his team.  NBC had only a superficial discussion of this - they allowed Fenson to get away with saying "it's a private matter".
[/quote]
All of that notwithstanding, that's what you do in curling, the correct way to refer to a curling team (if you're not going to do it by country, in the case of international competiton) is by the name of the skip. So the US team is Team Fenson, or Pete Fenson's rink, the Canadian team is Team Gushue, etc.

sshuffield70

GSN January numbers
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 08:23:57 PM »
The womens' team was Team Johnson, led by the Johnson sisters, Cassie and Jamie.

More info at Home Depot.......Huh?  Home Depot??!!

(edited because I can't type worth a damn......)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 11:20:24 PM by sshuffield70 »

clemon79

GSN January numbers
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 08:28:53 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 05:23 PM\']The womens' team was Team Johnson, led by the Johnson sisters, Cassie and Jamie.
[/quote]
USA Women's Curling: Come See Our Johnsons

aaron sica

GSN January numbers
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 09:15:27 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 08:23 PM\']The womens' team was Team Johnson, led by the Johnson sisters, Cassie and Jamie.
[snapback]111174[/snapback]
[/quote]

Team Johnson: Come sweep with both of us!

Robert Hutchinson

GSN January numbers
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2006, 10:18:49 PM »
Curling Johnsons? I think a doctor's visit is in order.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

CaseyAbell

GSN January numbers
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2006, 10:34:19 PM »
Sadly, the Johnsons didn't feature in that women's curling calendar. As for Team Gushue, their organization was a little unusual, from the little I understand of curling. Gushue threw the last two stones, but the skip's usual role of calling the shots was handled by the second, elder statesman and world-class hollerer, Russ Howard.

The CNBC announcers had a lot of fun with that voice. HARD HARD HARRRRRRRRRRD. Oh well, they got the gold.

EDIT: Oh dear, there's an obvious joke involving Johnsons and...forget it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:37:07 PM by CaseyAbell »

mmb5

GSN January numbers
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2006, 10:45:03 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 10:34 PM\']Sadly, the Johnsons didn't feature in that women's curling calendar. As for Team Gushue, their organization was a little unusual, from the little I understand of curling. Gushue threw the last two stones, but the skip's usual role of calling the shots was handled by the second, elder statesman and world-class hollerer, Russ Howard.

The CNBC announcers had a lot of fun with that voice. HARD HARD HARRRRRRRRRRD. Oh well, they got the gold.

EDIT: Oh dear, there's an obvious joke involving Johnsons and...forget it.
[snapback]111187[/snapback]
[/quote]
And now, today's curling fact: The player who does the line calling other than his own shots is the skip, no matter where the player shoots in the order.

So, for Canada, Russ Howard was technically the skip, even though the team has been referred to as "Team Gushue" the whold time.  This does matter in some of the pesky ettiquite things that go on during the match, mostly to due with defensive sweeping.

And you never heard Russ before he mellowed.  It sounded like you were curling against a pirate.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

CaseyAbell

GSN January numbers
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2006, 10:50:26 PM »
Yep, the Wikipedia article on curling at the 2006 Olympics identifies Howard as the second...with an asterisk. It's so Roger Maris. When you click on the article about Howard, it lists "Team Gushue" with no skip. Just "Second Stones" and "Fourth Stones." But the Olympics article calls Gushue the skip, with no asterisk. Man, this is confusing.

And there are all the jokes about stones...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:52:02 PM by CaseyAbell »