Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN January numbers  (Read 12235 times)

melman1

GSN January numbers
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 12:25:48 AM »
Not to mention that the US men's team made it to the medal round, and the US women's team looks okay even when they lose.
The US women's team was out of competition by Friday, but the NBC's continued to show their play instead of shifting to more significant games/matches/whatever.   Totally pointless.

Also, it might just be me, but it seems that the US teams are doing an awful lot of preening and posing for the TV cameras.  Much more so than the other teams.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 12:26:08 AM by melman1 »
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

sshuffield70

GSN January numbers
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 09:13:16 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 12:25 AM\']
Not to mention that the US men's team made it to the medal round, and the US women's team looks okay even when they lose.
The US women's team was out of competition by Friday, but the NBC's continued to show their play instead of shifting to more significant games/matches/whatever.   Totally pointless.

Also, it might just be me, but it seems that the US teams are doing an awful lot of preening and posing for the TV cameras.  Much more so than the other teams.
[snapback]110720[/snapback]
[/quote]

Quite a disappointment to me since the women's team was a Home Depot majority.

(Okay, Shuffield, what the hell are you talking about?)

Three members came from Bernidji, MN......Have you not been watching the commercial?.....Oh, that's right, you don't watch commercials.

CaseyAbell

GSN January numbers
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 09:39:05 AM »
Y'all might want to check out the current (February 21) Google page.

As for showing too much of the US women's team...you CAN'T show too much of that team. Truth to tell, there's a curling calendar that shows, um, very much of female curlers from several countries. Talk about preening and posing for the camera (wink).

Anyway, when the US women got clobbered last night, CNBC did switch to the much more meaningful Denmark-Canada game. A good match that went down to the final rock.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 09:41:42 AM by CaseyAbell »

Matt Ottinger

GSN January numbers
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 10:02:24 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 04:24 PM\']The Wiki article will likely be a good read for the small details like the free-guard zone, but ultimately it is a very simple game.[/quote]
Actually, the free-guard zone was the "missing link" for my understanding of the game.  I didn't understand why the team with last rock couldn't just whack every stone out of the way every time, blank nine ends and win on the tenth.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CaseyAbell

GSN January numbers
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 10:04:56 AM »
From what I understand of curling (not much) that's exactly what teams tried to do before the free guard rule was put in. I remember Don Duguid saying on CNBC that all the games were 2-1, 3-2 before the rule. Even a hopeless newbie like me can see how the rule creates a lot more scoring by letting teams hide rocks in the house behind the guards. And the real interest in curling for me lies in those intricate, chess-like patterns that build up in the house.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 10:09:05 AM by CaseyAbell »

FOXSportsFan

GSN January numbers
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 11:45:01 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 05:40 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 02:34 PM\']I've always had one idea...have Mike Lange of the Penguins do play by play for curling.  It'd be a great way for him to use some of those hilarious lines of his.
[/quote]
Somehow I don't see "GET IN THE FAST LANE, GRANDMA, THE BINGO GAME'S ABOUT TO ROLL" applying well to curling.
[snapback]110684[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was meant as a joke...I should have added the "LOL".

Don Howard

GSN January numbers
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 12:43:37 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 02:59 PM\']Curling, Deal or No Deal and Jim Cramer--the trifecta which will save CNBC. Booyah!
[snapback]110652[/snapback]
[/quote]
Jim Cramer. Now that's who should've hosted The Weakest Link.

mmb5

GSN January numbers
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 12:56:49 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 10:04 AM\']From what I understand of curling (not much) that's exactly what teams tried to do before the free guard rule was put in. I remember Don Duguid saying on CNBC that all the games were 2-1, 3-2 before the rule. Even a hopeless newbie like me can see how the rule creates a lot more scoring by letting teams hide rocks in the house behind the guards. And the real interest in curling for me lies in those intricate, chess-like patterns that build up in the house.
[snapback]110741[/snapback]
[/quote]

What also didn't help was the chant of "boring" during the 1991 Canadian finals.

This is pretty much a problem only at the elite levels.  One year, we were battling for first place in my league and needed to win by 12.  We "only" won by 11 when we failed to put our last rock in for 6.

My problem with Men with Brooms -- too much sex, not enough curling.

And can we pass emergency legislation revoking Fred Roggin's citizenship before he comes back here?  I can't believe he has any form of broadcasting job, let alone a network gig.  There is no talent, there is no knowledge of the sport he is hosting, there is no reason for him to be there.  Hell, I know I could do a better job, including my face made for radio and my voice made for print.  Thank God the CBC kicks in tomorrow.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

uncamark

GSN January numbers
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 01:07:49 PM »
ObGameShow:  Alex Trebek was a CBC curling commentator.

"I'm sorry--you forgot to curl the stone in the form of a question."

CaseyAbell

GSN January numbers
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »
From what I've seen, they tend to curl the stone in the form of a very loooooong comma. Or sometimes an exclamation point...without the dot.

BrandonFG

GSN January numbers
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 07:44:53 AM »
I'll be damned if my co-workers aren't glued to the set watching MSNBC. I'm actually watching this on another TV, but it's something about this game that's strangely addicting. :-P

ObGameShow: Al Roker had a game show on MSNBC called "Remember This?"
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

CaseyAbell

GSN January numbers
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 01:18:28 PM »
Now you know why NBC can brag about their numbers on cable for the Olympics. It's not often that many viewers are glued to MSNBC for anything.

By the way, congrats to Team Fenson for the medal. I followed the match on the Internet, and it looks like it was an interesting test of nerves.

FOXSportsFan

GSN January numbers
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »
Query for you folks: If Countdown didn't have to go up against the Faux Factor on Faux News Channel, ya think that might increase primetime ratings for MSNBC?

ObGameshows: Countdown is a wildly popular British game show...blah blah blah.  It might work in America if you tripled points and head Jillian's Barberies "dancing" to the think music.

Steve McClellan

GSN January numbers
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 04:13:54 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 12:37 PM\']ObGameshows: Countdown is a wildly popular British game show...blah blah blah.  It might work in America if you tripled points and head Jillian's Barberies "dancing" to the think music.[/quote]
'Twould be a small price to pay for such a noble goal. ;)

Matt Ottinger

GSN January numbers
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 04:35:02 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 02:18 PM\']By the way, congrats to Team Fenson for the medal. I followed the match on the Internet, and it looks like it was an interesting test of nerves.[/quote]
Actually one of the rare times when The Networks of NBC (specifically MSNBC) let you watch it live.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.