Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "I've Got A Secret" returns  (Read 13491 times)

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

"I've Got A Secret" returns
« on: February 19, 2006, 06:29:58 PM »
I tried to see if someone had already posted this, but I didn't see anything.  If this has already been posted in some other form, my apologies.

According to Mark Evanier's site, the 3am run of BTC (now currently brought to you by Daisy) is coming to an end in an estimated 5 or so more weeks.  When that's through in April or so, IGAS will fill the slot, a welcome return, IMO.  As expected, GSN will skip over the Cavalier/Winston shows, but at the very least it's better than nothing.
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 10:17:52 PM »
Marvelous news, your highness.  Especially if they start at the beginning and run whatever they're going to run in chronological order, which seems to be the B&WO model.  A wonderful opportunity to get an organized collection of Classic Bill.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davemackey

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:06:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 11:17 PM\']Marvelous news, your highness.  Especially if they start at the beginning and run whatever they're going to run in chronological order, which seems to be the B&WO model.  A wonderful opportunity to get an organized collection of Classic Bill.
[snapback]110592[/snapback]
[/quote]
There is going to be a huge gap between 1953 or 1954 - when Arrid dropped sponsorship - to 1961, when Hertz took over as program sponsor. The later shows that had one-off sponsor mentions from cigarette companies may air since their billboards have already been stripped out and there's no on-set mention of the brand.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:58:09 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 11:06 AM\']There is going to be a huge gap between 1953 or 1954 - when Arrid dropped sponsorship - to 1961, when Hertz took over as program sponsor. The later shows that had one-off sponsor mentions from cigarette companies may air since their billboards have already been stripped out and there's no on-set mention of the brand.[/quote]
I'm OK with that.  We've been blessed with a handful of the cigarette shows over the years, and that's fine with me.  But given that my IGAS episodes are scattered among dozens of VHS tapes, this sure beats a lot of tedious transferring that I was probably never going to get around to doing.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 04:08:54 PM »
Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to if GSN will get to the end of the BTC run before IGaS comes back? I kind of got hooked with that eternal $64,000 bonus stunt, which was knocked off last night.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 04:09:21 PM by NicholasM79 »

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 04:55:45 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 04:08 PM\']Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to if GSN will get to the end of the BTC run before IGaS comes back? I kind of got hooked with that eternal $64,000 bonus stunt, which was knocked off last night.
[snapback]110664[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thank heavens it was knocked off that night. Can you imagine the potential cries of foul if that money went unawarded?

Gromit

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 06:37:48 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 02:08 PM\']Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to if GSN will get to the end of the BTC run before IGaS comes back? I kind of got hooked with that eternal $64,000 bonus stunt, which was knocked off last night.
[snapback]110664[/snapback]
[/quote]

Speaking of which, does anyone have a vidcap of the dramatic 30 seconds I could download?

I've been tivo-ing every episode for weeks now to see this, and last night the bloody ir blaster screwed up the channel change.

Is it really only a handful of cigarette episodes we've seen? I swear I watched them hand out the cigs pretty much continuously last time they showed these. Didn't seem like they were rare.

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 06:55:58 PM »
As far as I can remember, over the past few years GSN has aired what I would estimate to be most, maybe practically all, of the Cavalier/Winston episodes in the ovenight block. Back when I was cataloging my tapes, I seem to recall seeing dozens, if not hundreds of these shows.  I wouldn't consider them rare (check out Tammy's IGAS page, which has plenty of the mid to late 50s cig-era shows), just that we didn't know these weren't likely to be reaired again when we recorded them.  In short, I'd call them available and tradeable.
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

Gromit

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 03:55:59 PM »
Yeah, that was my memory. I'm not a tape trader, so I didn't have any means of checking or counting.

Is there a better place/way to ask about getting the vidcap of the bonus win? I made the mistake of getting the wife interested, and now she's mad as hell I can't finish the deal. :)

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 04:51:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 03:55 PM\']I made the mistake of getting the wife interested, and now she's mad as hell I can't finish the deal. :)
[snapback]110788[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've had dates like that. Yet another reason why I quit drinking.
Is the daytime Super Bonus win from the stunt that lasted many many months in the GSN package, I wonder? I know it's one of the few episodes--if not the only show--from the ABC daytime run that wasn't erased.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 09:55:34 AM by Don Howard »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 08:59:18 AM »
Is the daytime Super Bonus win from the stunt that lasted many many months in the GSN package, I wonder? I know it's one of the few episode--if not the only show--from the ABC daytime run that wasn't erased.

I always wonder about stuff like that too.  There are certain episodes traders have (many of which came from studio master tapes), which GSN should have, which they likely don't as they've never aired.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

FeudDude

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 11:58:33 PM »
Zap2it indicates that GSN will start airing IGaS during B&W Overnight on April 4 (or late night on April 3, depending on how you look at it).   It also indicates that we may be getting some rarities at 3 am during the weekend before, as neither Beat the Clock, IGaS, nor any of the shows airing this Sunday are listed in those slots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 11:49:08 AM »
Bad news for those of us looking forward to the ancient IGAS episodes.  I've learned that, as always, the shows will run chronological (barring "tribute" interruptions), but they're going to begin in 1959, after the cigarette shows and after the panel lineup had stabilized at Cullen-Palmer-Morgan-Myerson.

Tim L

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 04:51:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 11:49 AM\']Bad news for those of us looking forward to the ancient IGAS episodes.  I've learned that, as always, the shows will run chronological (barring "tribute" interruptions), but they're going to begin in 1959, after the cigarette shows and after the panel lineup had stabilized at Cullen-Palmer-Morgan-Myerson.
[snapback]111993[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's too bad..Still some of the best shows were during/after this period anyway..

rrg

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 10:17:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Queen of Nerdocrombesia\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 06:55 PM\']As far as I can remember, over the past few years GSN has aired what I would estimate to be most, maybe practically all, of the Cavalier/Winston episodes in the ovenight block.[/quote]Right.  I recorded and watched most of the BWO blocks from the time they started in (I think) the fall of 2001, and several years' worth of IGAS Winston shows were aired, with very few gaps.

I confess that I don't understand what the problem is.  Does someone really contend that it's "illegal" to show these because of the on-screen Winston logo?  They've been shown many times since GSN launched in December 1994.  For the first few years they didn't even excise the "sponsored by" announcements at the beginnings of cigarette-sponsored shows.

The owners of this intellectual property shouldn't be so easily intimidated.