Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Foreign Home Games  (Read 28479 times)

alfonzos

Foreign Home Games
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 08:23:06 PM »
Just added Countdown Travel Edition. I found it, in its original packaging, in a Long Beach California thrift store. The game doesn't come with a timer. The series makes a lot of hoopla about The Big Clock.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

davidhammett

Foreign Home Games
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »
Not much here... Australian $otC, Temptation, and DoND... British Countdown... a Canadian WoF (essentially American, I guess, but with French instructions as well).

And here's one I haven't seen anyone mention yet... from Britain... Golden Balls!

Matt Ottinger

Foreign Home Games
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'234497\' date=\'Jan 17 2010, 08:23 PM\']Just added Countdown Travel Edition. The game doesn't come with a timer.[/quote]
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'234520\' date=\'Jan 18 2010, 12:48 PM\']Not much here... British Countdown...[/quote]
Just thought I should mention that David's relatively modern edition of Countdown has the coolest timer I've seen -- a small device that actually plays the 30-second Countdown music so familiar to fans of the show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

vtown7

Foreign Home Games
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 02:57:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'234522\' date=\'Jan 18 2010, 01:30 PM\'][quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'234520\' date=\'Jan 18 2010, 12:48 PM\']Not much here... British Countdown...[/quote]
Just thought I should mention that David's relatively modern edition of Countdown has the coolest timer I've seen -- a small device that actually plays the 30-second Countdown music so familiar to fans of the show.
[/quote]

Having played the board game in the hotel the night before my appearance (thanks Brig) I can vouch that indeed it is a great replication.

Having then played the game in the studio it was even more nervewracking to have it playing while I was trying to find some good words!

I also neglected to mention that I picked up a new version of Des Chiffres et Des Lettres while in Paris and was smart enough to bring it to the studio to get it signed by the hosts.

Ryan

alfonzos

Foreign Home Games
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 06:47:41 PM »
Added to my hoard from thrift stores in Orange County California recently:
Who Wants To Be a Millionaire 2nd Edition by Upstarts (Great Britain)
Wer Wird Millionär Junior Zweite Edition by Jumbo (Germany)
A Cliff Saber Production

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Foreign Home Games
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »
I only have two: namely, the British DVD versions of Blankety Blank and Sale of the Century. I also have a 2006 British Monopoly game that had a peel-off "You could win money! Look inside!" sticker on the shrink-wrap; I didn't win, but I put the sticker on the inside of the lid for posterity.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:23:55 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Foreign Home Games
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 11:09:35 PM »
I also have a 2006 British Monopoly game.
My stepmom brought home a special edition British version for me. When I went to England several years ago I brought back The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game, and let me tell you what, every word in that title is accurate.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:12:05 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Foreign Home Games
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38:02 AM »
I have a version of Pyramide from France, UK Blockbusters, and the 1993 edition of Countdown from the UK.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

alfonzos

Re: Foreign Home Games
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
Schlag den Raab: Blamieren oder Kassieren found in a thrift store in Burbank California yesterday.
A Cliff Saber Production

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
I have been on a UK home game kick since buying The Chase, both Pointless books (both funny reads), and the Deal or No Deal Behind the Scenes book back in February.  For my birthday in March, I picked up Catch Phrase (the current Stephen Mulhern version), The Cube, and Pointless 2nd edition.  Just in the last week and a day, I have received Deal or No Deal and the "classic" version of Catch Phrase from Ideal, plus a second 2nd edition Pointless (Amazon.co.uk error; I ordered the first edition and they sent me the second).  I also picked up Countdown about a decade ago, which I pull out for my classes from time to time.

To my surprise, my students really enjoyed playing Catch Phrase.  Deal or No Deal is very sturdy, with 24 plastic boxes and an electronic phone.

nowhammies10

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »
I now own jaydlewis' Crowther and Aussie TPIR games (as well as the entire American collection up to 1976).  I believe DoorNumberFour got the German and Brucie versions. In addition, I've got a sealed copy of Countdown from 1993.

EDIT: Forgot about a British copy of Scrabble.  I think it's from around the same time as the Countdown game.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:37:59 PM by nowhammies10 »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2014, 09:39:53 PM »
I now own jaydlewis' Crowther and Aussie TPIR games (as well as the entire American collection up to 1976).  I believe DoorNumberFour got the German and Brucie versions.
I sure did. UK Blockbusters and two versions of Countdown (one with a digital soundbox that plays the clock cue) are also in prime rotation.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

vtown7

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
I forgot to mention that I picked up a copy of "Reach for the Top" last year on eBay.  The current players get a kick out of the fact that the host owns a copy.  It predates the national championships as well.  And it's riddled with wonderful editorial selections of question content!

Thunder

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 11:52:54 PM »
... Sabado Gigante (Mexican) ...

Yes, I know the OP is eight years old. But how in the heck is Sabado Gigante turned into a home game?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 12:04:42 AM »
Yes, I know the OP is eight years old. But how in the heck is Sabado Gigante turned into a home game?

Just like The Price Is Right is...you have a bunch of minigames in there, and then everyone comes back and plays the soccer pitch game for the car at the end.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe