Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lingo question...  (Read 2813 times)

Kevin Prather

Lingo question...
« on: August 26, 2003, 09:53:20 PM »
I understand that if you spell a different word than you say, they accept the word you spell, but what if it's outrageous, like \"Approach. A-P-P.....L-E\" Would they still accept it? my guess would be yes, but i want to make sure.

Matt Ottinger

Lingo question...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 10:45:12 PM »
Since I don't believe anybody here actually works on the show, I doubt you're going to get a definitive answer on such a wacky question \"for sure\".  

My personal opinion is that they wouldn't let a player get away with such an obvious mistake, but I have no more insight than you or anyone else.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Lingo question...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 11:29:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 26 2003, 09:45 PM\'] Since I don't believe anybody here actually works on the show, I doubt you're going to get a definitive answer on such a wacky question "for sure".  

My personal opinion is that they wouldn't let a player get away with such an obvious mistake, but I have no more insight than you or anyone else. [/quote]
 I'm almost sure I've seen an instance where a contestant gave a six- or seven-letter word, then played it off as if it only had five letters. They got the buzzer. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Lingo question...
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 12:11:45 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 26 2003, 08:29 PM\'] I'm almost sure I've seen an instance where a contestant gave a six- or seven-letter word, then played it off as if it only had five letters. They got the buzzer. :-) [/quote]
 Yeah, but in those cases whatever they spelled wasn't even close to a real word, too.

I can't answer this truly ridiculous question, but I know what award they'd get from me:

\"Mah-rone. M-O-R-O-N.\"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dmota104

Lingo question...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 06:35:31 AM »
I could've sworn in last night's rerun I saw one of the contestants in the bonus game say \"server\", spelled it \"S E (pause, realizing \"server\" is 6 letters) V E R\" and they lit up the first four letters in \"SEVER\" in red.  They later got the right word -- \"SEVEN\".

So, I get the sense you could mispronounce the word, but so long as the spelling leads to a legit word, it's OK.