Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The Best of Brett and Charles"  (Read 14436 times)

Jimmy Owen

"The Best of Brett and Charles"
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 10:28:32 AM »
This may seem hard to believe today, but panelists weren't always booked because they had something to promote.  I love Barbara Rhoades, but what of note did she do after "The Shakiest Gun in the West" in 1968?  Joyce Bulifant? Patti Deutsch?

I think the first time Kaye was on, they probably thought she was fun and bubbly, so they invited her back, maybe got a little too rambunctious and by the third time became annoying.  They do use her in the promo for the 70's hour, so GSN must not be too repelled.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

davemackey

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 07:55:18 PM »
Kaye Stevens was on "Days of our Lives" in 1974, so she definitely had something to promote.

Of course, Kaye was on that famous Show #229, which aired the other evening, complete with Karen Lesko and several thinly veiled references to her dimples and no sign of the "nipples" clip - which would have been just perfect for late night.

Neumms

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2006, 01:50:15 PM »
Kaye seemed to be involved in it when Burt Reynolds had his walk-on. That, or she was just flinging herself at him. She seems like an experiment worth trying and ending, and that's what she was.

I had always thought that MG had a much higher level of talent than Bob Stewart's shows, but I've discovered watching the early shows that, nah, MG wasn't exactly A-list either. Ann Elder? Yuck.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2006, 07:38:26 AM »
What so bad about Ann Elder?  I think a lot of you younger folks never saw the last couple seasons of "Laugh-In." (you know, the show with the guy from "Mindreaders.")  It's a virtual MG panel doing sketch comedy.

Some of the Laugh-In people (Richard Dawson, Patti D) caught on and some (Ann, Sarah Kennedy, Brill & McCall) weren't on after awhile.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 08:09:32 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2006, 11:32:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 07:38 AM\']What so bad about Ann Elder?  I think a lot of you younger folks never saw the last couple seasons of "Laugh-In." (you know, the show with the guy from "Mindreaders.") 
[snapback]112982[/snapback]
[/quote]

I saw "Laugh-In." It's that kooky show where all the people hung out of those doors. (At least that's the part I liked at the ripe old age of 5!) And it has the guy who p'ed off Peter Marshall.

Ann Elder isn't funny, and the show stalls whenever the camera's on her. Was Stu Gillem (sp?) on "Laugh-In," too? He's not bad, but he's not a great mesh with the rest of the panel, either.

Is anyone else amused when Nipsey Russell sticks in a rhyme when it's not really called for and, as opposed to any other host, is openly disgusted?

melman1

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2006, 04:59:19 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Feb 5 2006, 09:27 AM\']Their guide also shows preemptions of the entire hour on 2/25, 3/2, 3/15, and 3/17; and preemption of the first half-hour only on 3/18.
[/quote]
They had been following the guide through the end of last week.  But 70's Hour was replaced by "Anything to Win" on Sunday 3/12 (Yahoo TV listings also show this on 3/19, so perhaps it is a permanent change).  It was also preempted on Tues. 3/14 by that "Press Your Luck" movie.

It still appears that they will make it through all of the episodes skipped last July by the last date in the episode guide of April 2nd, but it's not as certain as it had been.

Predictably, GSN hasn't updated the air dates in the guide so that data is now worthless.  Nor did they ever add anything after April 2nd so the future of the 70's Hour remains unclear.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2006, 04:09:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 11:32 AM\']Ann Elder isn't funny, and the show stalls whenever the camera's on her. Was Stu Gillem (sp?) on "Laugh-In," too? He's not bad, but he's not a great mesh with the rest of the panel, either.
[/quote]

Stu Gilliam was on Laugh-In very, very briefly. Not nearly as long as Byron Gilliam, who even pronounced his last name differently.

Ann Elder was the blonde they brought in to replace Goldie Hawn. Unfortunately, she didn't play dumb, and never created any other "character" to play (like fellow newcomers Nancie Phillipps The Kooky Psychic and Barbara Sharma the Tapdancing Spitfire).
@lambertman

FeudDude

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2006, 08:10:40 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 04:59 PM\']Predictably, GSN hasn't updated the air dates in the guide so that data is now worthless.  Nor did they ever add anything after April 2nd so the future of the 70's Hour remains unclear.
[snapback]113320[/snapback]
[/quote]

According to Zap2it, That 70's Hour will remain until April 14th.  And after that, Match Game will continue to air at 11 pm, at least on weekdays.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2006, 01:40:09 PM »
Was Stu Gillem (sp?) on "Laugh-In," too? He's not bad, but he's not a great mesh with the rest of the panel, either.

I think one of the reasons Stu Gilliam was on was because he had a show on CBS that fall, called "Roll Out".   It was cancelled in 13 weeks and we didn't hear much about him after that.  He did make several appearances on game shows from the late '60s ("Funny You Should Ask", for example) until the mid-70s.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!