Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pat Harrington Jr......  (Read 9738 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Pat Harrington Jr......
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 07:26:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 2 2006, 08:12 PM\']Subtract all the stupid sitcom plots and irritating husband-wife bickering from the show, and the 20 or 30 percent of Yes, Dear that's left is pretty funny, IMO.
[/quote]

I could've given you that up until this year. It's been horrible since coming back from last season's shoulda-been-the-finale.

Just one more ep, though, and we're free. :)
@lambertman

Robert Hutchinson

Pat Harrington Jr......
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 12:39:08 PM »
To be fair, I've only seen one episode from the current season, and I was indeed underwhelmed. Way to screw up your dynamic, guys.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

davemackey

Pat Harrington Jr......
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 07:21:32 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 2 2006, 12:31 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Feb 2 2006, 08:44 AM\']Harrington was also well known in animation in the same role as Peter Sellers and, now, Steve Martin.
[snapback]109262[/snapback]
[/quote]
Don't say "sí," say "oui."

Harrington also voiced the Inspector's sidekick--Sergeant Deux-Deux.

[snapback]109263[/snapback]
[/quote]
That actually turned into four years of work for Mr. Harrington, as the first of those cartoons was produced in 1965 and the final one in 1969. I'm not sure that Messrs. DePatie and Freleng were able to pay him an exorbitant salary, but at least it kept him eating.

There actually was one "Inspector" cartoon where Harrington didn't do-do Deux-Deux - "La Feet's Defeat" (1968) actually used Hanna-Barbera vet Don Messick in the role, and D-D was drawn a little more alert and wide-eyed in that episode.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Pat Harrington Jr......
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 10:33:56 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Feb 6 2006, 06:21 AM\']There actually was one "Inspector" cartoon where Harrington didn't do-do Deux-Deux - "La Feet's Defeat" (1968) actually used Hanna-Barbera vet Don Messick in the role, and D-D was drawn a little more alert and wide-eyed in that episode.
[snapback]109562[/snapback]
[/quote]

What struck me about Messick's take on the character was that when it came time to do the new bumpers for the Pink Panther's 1969 show (which also included Inspector cartoons) that whoever voiced Deux-Deux (I *think* I saw that it was Marvin Miller, but I'm not positive) seemed to use Messick's model rather than Harrington's.

Man, I loved those DFE shorts.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1800 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

DjohnsonCB

Pat Harrington Jr......
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 11:44:33 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 1 2006, 02:25 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 1 2006, 10:57 AM\']Weren't Harrington and Rayburn both part of Steve Allen's crew?

[snapback]109190[/snapback]
[/quote]

They were--Harrington played Italian golf pro Guido Panzini in the Man on the Street sketches and Rayburn was both the "Tonight" show and Sunday night show announcer.

[snapback]109204[/snapback]
[/quote]

Harrington is one of the celeb players on the surviving 1970 ep of It Takes Two (watched my copy again this week) and Vin Scully makes a couple of references to the Guido Panzini character during the show.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

BrandonFG

Pat Harrington Jr......
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 10:02:22 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 6 2006, 10:33 AM\']What struck me about Messick's take on the character was that when it came time to do the new bumpers for the Pink Panther's 1969 show (which also included Inspector cartoons) that whoever voiced Deux-Deux (I *think* I saw that it was Marvin Miller, but I'm not positive) seemed to use Messick's model rather than Harrington's.

Man, I loved those DFE shorts.
[snapback]109569[/snapback]
[/quote]
I caught some on Boomerang Sunday afternoon, and it was like being 7 all over again, when I would watch the reruns on TNT...loooooong before it became "Law and Order" and "Charmed" reruns.

The one thing that struck me as odd was some of the shorts used a laugh track...when was that used?

ObGameShow: Didn't one of the "Charmed" girls do HSq? I wanna say Holly Marie Combs. If not, I believe the late Jerry Orbach won one of the first Celebrity J! tournaments. I know he did pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 10:02:57 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Pat Harrington Jr......
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 11:04:52 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 09:02 PM\']I caught some on Boomerang Sunday afternoon, and it was like being 7 all over again, when I would watch the reruns on TNT...loooooong before it became "Law and Order" and "Charmed" reruns.

The one thing that struck me as odd was some of the shorts used a laugh track...when was that used?
[snapback]110280[/snapback]
[/quote]

The laugh track was used when the cartoons were shown on NBC.  Some of the toons on the new Pink Panther DVD set have laugh tracks (not all, though).

EDIT:  And I'm jealous--I've been after my cable company to add Boomerang for ages.  And now it seems they're starting to add more of the originals that turned CN to pot.

Doug
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 11:06:04 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

Pat Harrington Jr......
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 11:57:54 PM »
EDIT:  And I'm jealous--I've been after my cable company to add Boomerang for ages.  And now it seems they're starting to add more of the originals that turned CN to pot.

Doug
[snapback]110288[/snapback]

I'm not fussy with my TV.......To me, my Comcast Digital Cable is just as good as satellite TV (and even better w/ the pay channel tiers), but the only spot they fall short is no Boomerang. It was one of my favorite channels when I had a DBS...

ObGameShow: I wanted a DISH Network badly in 1996 because they were the first to offer GSN.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 11:58:09 PM by aaron sica »

uncamark

Pat Harrington Jr......
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006, 05:46:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 10:04 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 09:02 PM\']I caught some on Boomerang Sunday afternoon, and it was like being 7 all over again, when I would watch the reruns on TNT...loooooong before it became "Law and Order" and "Charmed" reruns.

[snapback]110280[/snapback]
[/quote]

The laugh track was used when the cartoons were shown on NBC.  Some of the toons on the new Pink Panther DVD set have laugh tracks (not all, though).
[snapback]110288[/snapback]
[/quote]

And on the ABC run of "Pink Panther" and the first syndication run (even though the original title sequences and end title cards were restored).  When the Turner channels ran the shorts, a few of the shorts had canned laughter, along with any bumpers that they may've used from the series (which may've been why laugh track versions were used in the 1979 syndicated run).