Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst prizes ever...  (Read 10130 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2006, 02:33:55 PM »
All from WOF 88:
A new add-on sunroom (or whatever the heck it was)
A log cabin (I think it was actually a build-your-own set)
A $100,000 Annuity (Which still wouldn't have matured fully)
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Robert Hutchinson

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2006, 04:14:37 PM »
Man, if you don't want, what, $5K a year? I'll gladly take it.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

saussage

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Jan 24 2006, 09:52 AM\']I got two...

1) If you go with the spa and jacuzzi as baddies, I say the swimming pools have gotta be up there as well. If you don't live in a house with a backyard, where might you put it- on the roof? (scary thought just now- a game of Most Expensive with all three being offered as prizes...jibblies.)
[snapback]108466[/snapback]
[/quote]

Add a sailboat and we can play Danger Price instead :)
(my tub's too small for a sailboat)
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2006, 11:37:36 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Jan 25 2006, 08:27 PM\'](my tub's too small for a sailboat)
[snapback]108676[/snapback]
[/quote]
If you have to explain the joke...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2006, 12:24:49 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 25 2006, 09:37 PM\']If you have to explain the joke...
[snapback]108677[/snapback]
[/quote]
Was it an explanation, or an additional smartassery? It seemed like the latter to me, but I am lacking sleep.

gshowguy

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2006, 09:28:42 PM »
Unless someone already posted this prize in this thread-- how about a year's supply of M&Ms?! I saw that prize on Whammy! several times during its first season, and I can't understand why ANYONE could come up with a prize like that. :p

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2006, 09:41:18 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 07:28 PM\']Unless someone already posted this prize in this thread-- how about a year's supply of M&Ms?! I saw that prize on Whammy! several times during its first season, and I can't understand why ANYONE could come up with a prize like that. :p
[snapback]108786[/snapback]
[/quote]

Some prize shlockmeister (Is that the right word?) probably got a call from someone at M&Ms, and they made a deal.  That's usually how it goes.  Much as my taste buds like the idea, I don't think that would be a healthy prize.

/but then again, who would want a monthly Salad-Gram?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 11:26:10 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

calliaume

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2006, 11:04:46 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 09:28 PM\']Unless someone already posted this prize in this thread-- how about a year's supply of M&Ms?! I saw that prize on Whammy! several times during its first season, and I can't understand why ANYONE could come up with a prize like that. :p
[snapback]108786[/snapback]
[/quote]
A year's supply of green M&Ms, perhaps?  (Mars won't package them that way, although I did once work with a woman who received a jar of green M&Ms from a persistent failed suitor.)

clemon79

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2006, 11:10:42 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 08:04 PM\']A year's supply of green M&Ms, perhaps?  (Mars won't package them that way, although I did once work with a woman who received a jar of green M&Ms from a persistent failed suitor.)
[snapback]108796[/snapback]
[/quote]
Maybe not retail, but it's a simple matter to get them in any color you want if you are willing to pay:

http://shop2.mms.com/21colors/index.asp

I also remember them being available in colors of your choice at the candy store at the Seattle FAO Schwarz, when it was still open.

inturnaround

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2006, 11:18:32 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 27 2006, 12:04 AM\']A year's supply of green M&Ms, perhaps?  (Mars won't package them that way, although I did once work with a woman who received a jar of green M&Ms from a persistent failed suitor.)
[snapback]108796[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, but M&Ms can be bought at certain places by color. For example, when I went to 30 Rock, there was an M&M display in the NBC Studio Store. Not only do they sell the normal colors separately (you have to bag your own), but they also have colors that aren't in the normal array, like gray and purple.

ObGameShows: "Let's Bowl" used to have really bad prizes, but that was part of the charm, I guess. For example, in their local Minneapolis TV days, they often gave away gift certificates to Old Country Buffet and merchandise from a defunct radio station as prizes.

I just watched a few of those local ones for the first time. Funny stuff. Slow and clunky and not as polished as the Comedy Central version (which was sadly underrated and underwatched), but the building block were still there.

"Dried strips of animal flesh? That's for me!"
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2006, 12:00:22 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 11:10 PM\']I also remember them being available in colors of your choice at the candy store at the Seattle FAO Schwarz, when it was still open.
[snapback]108797[/snapback]
[/quote]
Mr. Bulky stores had this too...I believe the stand was called "Colorworks".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2006, 12:21:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 09:00 PM\']Mr. Bulky stores had this too...I believe the stand was called "Colorworks".
[snapback]108801[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's exactly what it was. Used to be what that part of the M&M site was called, too.

What the hell kind of name for a store is Mr. Bulky? :)

Esoteric Eric

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2006, 12:54:54 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 08:10 PM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 08:04 PM\']A year's supply of green M&Ms, perhaps?[/quote]Maybe not retail, but it's a simple matter to get them in any color you want if you are willing to pay:http://shop2.mms.com/21colors/index.asp I also remember them being available in colors of your choice at the candy store at the Seattle FAO Schwarz, when it was still open.[/quote]As far as retail sales go, there's always M&M's World on the Strip in Las Vegas, right next to the World of Coca-Cola. <announcer voice> The Showcase Mall, your #1 place for diabetes on the Strip!</av> ((8=D))

Esoteric Eric... thanks to the Page O'Clips, I saw a fairly bad prize on Jimmy's clip of Blank Check(EDIT: now replaced on his website); a trip to Vegas (train from LA and back, two-night stay), valued at $160 (yikes)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 01:01:37 AM by Esoteric Eric »
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

trainman

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2006, 02:33:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 09:54 PM\']...thanks to the Page O'Clips, I saw a fairly bad prize on Jimmy's clip of Blank Check(EDIT: now replaced on his website); a trip to Vegas (train from LA and back, two-night stay), valued at $160 (yikes)
[snapback]108807[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I'd take that prize, especially if I could go back in time to do it, since the Vegas-to-Barstow portion of the train trip is no longer part of the Amtrak system and therefore now counts as "rare mileage" for railfans.

The L.A.-to-Vegas fare was fairly cheap (you gotta give people some reason to take a six-and-a-half-hour train ride instead of a four-hour drive or a 45-minute flight), but I'm betting the 2-night stay was not in one of Vegas's finer hotels.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 02:34:20 AM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

clemon79

Worst prizes ever...
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2006, 02:45:56 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 11:33 PM\']but I'm betting the 2-night stay was not in one of Vegas's finer hotels.
[snapback]108814[/snapback]
[/quote]
"Two nights at the luxurious Westward Ho!" :)